1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame compatibility

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Blue60, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Blue60

Blue60

Hey,

I've got a 2/79 FJ40 with a fairly bad frame rot condition...mechanically it is excellent. Thinking of doing an aluminum tub to my metal cowling, and hardtop, along with using my current axles, drive train, etc. If I want to use a 78 frame to do all this, will I run into significant problems? Do I need to find a 2/79 frame? I've talked with Cruisersolutions, and they give me the impression that they can repair anything associated with the frame...any thoughts?

Appreciate any ideas?

Cheers,

Dave

2. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

you will need a 79 frame. body styles changed in 79, fuel tank and body mounting points. leaf springs went to the wider version in the 80's not sure what year, 81 or 82 maybe someone else will know.
    how bad is your frame? rotted in one place or many. if it's only one or two places it would probably be easier to fix than replace.

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    yeppers, unless you wanna go thru the effort of reworking body mounts/frane attachments, it will be WAY easier with a 79+ frame.