Four Low Engage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.madtripper.com
Hello all. I've been over in the 40, 80 and 100 series world for a bit as well as Nissan Patrols (60 series). I picked up a 2008 120 this weekend hoping to get it in shape for my son. We are planning on a baseline and repair but immediately we noticed 4 low wouldn't engage. We were able to run 4 hi and lock center diff. We tried to go 4 low while transmission is in neutral but it just flashed indicator light on dash and when we shifted, beeped with flashing and stayed in high. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. The vehicle belonged to my sister with about 140K on the clock. Manufactured 08/07 and I'm nearly 100% certain has never been in 4 low.

Thanks,

Tripper

Last edited:
Is this a 4th Gen 4R or a GX? Sounds like the CDL wanted to lock or was locked when you attempted to shift? Can be out of phase...but that beep is from the CDL. If it is a 4Runner with the dial, the 4L actuator is right next to the CDL actuator (all one assembly). Can check the basics like oil leaks (it can fill the actuator up) or plugs contaminated, disconnected. Also have seen breathers pop off a long time ago and fill it with water. If it is a 4R and the actuator is gone...the tcase has to be popped open to replace it (two shift forks). A GX can be replaced without cracking the Tcase (1 actuator).

Is this a 4th Gen 4R or a GX? Sounds like the CDL wanted to lock or was locked when you attempted to shift? Can be out of phase...but that beep is from the CDL. If it is a 4Runner with the dial, the 4L actuator is right next to the CDL actuator (all one assembly). Can check the basics like oil leaks (it can fill the actuator up) or plugs contaminated, disconnected. Also have seen breathers pop off a long time ago and fill it with water. If it is a 4R and the actuator is gone...the tcase has to be popped open to replace it (two shift forks). A GX can be replaks ced without cracking the Tcase (1 actuator).
Great tips and thanks for giving us a place to start. It is a 4th gen 4R. I was under the impression that I could use the button to lock the center diff, which seemed to work in 4hi (lights on dash correct and no beeping), and then shift into 4lo but that didn't work either.
Thanks and I'll report back after we investigate.

Tripper

If it's a 4R you should unlock the CDL, shift to 4L then relock the CDL to troubleshoot each function.

Again thank you for the input. I have not crawled under to investigate at this point but I have tried the following:

1. Engage 4HI - works as expected
2. Engage 4HI and CDL - works as expected
3. Disengage CDL - works as expected
4. Engage 4LO - 4LO light blinks, when shifted from neutral blinking light accompanied by beep
5. Disengage 4LO - Blinking light and beep stop

I am guessing it has something to do with a wire or actuator at this point and plan to have a closer look. It appears the transfer case never actually goes into 4LO.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom