Four Days stuck in 1st and 2nd gear low Range (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah I blew one (maybe both but the one side kept working till well after I replaced the first one) birfield dual chained in the snow, and the other backing out of a swamp we decided to turn around from. So I was pretty much 3 tire fire the entire trail, which sucked cause I think an open front would have done a bit better. I have some replacement spare birfs from steve coming on the bus and will wait for Longfield to get their stuff next week and probably go with new 30 spline kit

Here is another two for you web weelers to give you an idea how overgrown this trail is.
IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg

Front driveshaft too, damn.
Three coolers in Adams truck means plenty of beverages for thirsty work. Looks cold enough you wouldn't need that much ice along though. :hillbilly:

No front, just the back blew up and he didn't have a spare rear, so he had to pull apart his front to get that center section which he blew an ear off of, then put in his spare non card. front.

Yes lots of beverages, I have evidence of me burning my elbow, yet I don't remember when, so I am assuming some time between adam crashing and me having one more beer before crashing myself.:hillbilly:

Also coolers full of food, adam goes all out with food, I think we had steaks one night and burgers for a couple nights as well. I think I only had two smokies all weekend.

all the cool pics from us stuck dual chained and winching are going to be saved to computer until the mag comes out, then I can post the 200 or so pics we have. Sorry web weelers:hillbilly:

What magazine, Backroader?

I already put together an article for matt which was a combination of this thread and a bunch of extra notes. Matt said it will be in the summer addition.
Cheers,

SUCCESS! We made the lake and crossed the Rocky Mountain continental divide to the PG side. Our trucks took a s*** kicking, as Adams bronco looks like it came from the demolition derby, I was washed down river and had water flowing over my roof as I was swimming inside my truck, but all in all great trip and can't wait to clear trail to make it a nicer trek in ;) Few teaser pics as I finish up work and need some sleep!

But took us five years to finally make it, last two years actually got to the trail and took us 4 weekends of bushwacking to make it. Feels good to accomplish a 30km trail crawl after a heck of a lot of work in amazing country!
Cheers,
Deny
IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0058.jpg

Only because looks like the water from the lake doesnt' really show in that last camping pic, here is a better one of the lake and proof we actually made it ;)
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg

:clap::beer:

Congrats! Looking forward to more pictures of that trek, for sure!

Do you by chance know the history of the 'trail'. Is it an old prospectors trail, logging road? There is obviously a two wheeled 'trail'; I'm always interested in how these trails start out.

:cheers:

We assume that it was a logging road, since Amanda's step dad tells us stories about travelling in the area in logging company pickups and smashing them around on the old abandonded roads like this one over 20 years ago after they finished work. Was talking to a 70 year old cat operator yesturday who said his dad worked up there in 1939 trying to push the overland route to PG through the Monkman Pass and they almost pushed a Model T through until the war started and things got shut down. He said there were quite a few large sawmills in the area (which we saw remenants of on our Kinuso trip) so we assume this was a logging road. However the old guy said there were a lot of mining exploritory roads too and this one is pretty poorly constructed in a few areas like a Cat just pushed through once, course it hadn't seen trucks in 20 or 30 years, so it's tough to tell. There is also an old metal pipe that follows the road from the lake (will have to follow it one day to see where it goes) so that might go to some abandoned mine or something?

Epic. You think the trail keeps going or was that the end? Water over the roof? Beat to crap trucks. You guys don't fawk around. Very cool. You leave the trailer behind part way in or drag it to the lake?

Awesome!! Sound like a reconnoiter for an upcoming Swamp Donkey event, can't wait

Epic. You think the trail keeps going or was that the end? Water over the roof? Beat to crap trucks. You guys don't fawk around. Very cool. You leave the trailer behind part way in or drag it to the lake?

Yeah Martin, don't know about epic, was hoping the lake was going to be warm or there was a hotspring around, then it would have been epic ;) But it was really satisfying making it though. Seems like it is the end of the trail. Yeah sometimes I wonder who else is crazy enough to do some of the stupid things that we do, just to make it through a trail, I think most wheelers would get pretty anoyed at the first few KM of bushwacking and turn around, then some of the road building we do, I can't believe how crappy we build it then Adam tests it out then we fix up so it's not so rollable. I took the trailer in to the 2nd river crossing to where we normally made it to since I was unsure what lay ahead and didn't want to get into a bad situation, cause I am sure the water experience may have ended a lot worse with a trailer in behind.

Water over the hood when I took a wrong line during a quick trail building episode by river crossing 2 and we were coming back to camp for the night when I got a bit lazy and didn't want to travel up the river for 5 truck lengths and dunked it close to the deep part only to get pushed sideways and into the middle of the deep, then as my tires were loosing traction and water rushing into my windshield I threw it in reverse only to be swept back by the current deeper and all I saw was water out all the windows, Amanda said she saw water over the roof, but truck kept running due to backwards set snorkle head (due to bushwacking) and finally as water filled over my crotch, the deep ended and I climbed back onto higher river bottom, opend the doors to let water out, then over to the bank to take a better stab at the crossing. Weird feeling when the back end of the truck is floating and all you see is water out the windows ;)

August long looks like a trail clearing thing, cause the last 5 KM near the lake are pretty much like a 5KM long auto car wash, where the rolling flaps are actually willows and the odd small pine or spruce, then every half a KM one of those rolling willow flaps turns into a thicker spruce tree that doesn't give when you brush up against it. I actually got wedged between two of those trees when I was leading near the end and had to chainsaw my self out of the situation.

Yeah Phil I think Adam might be upset if it were a Swamp Donkey thing, might have to be an Old School Offroad thing, but we are all friends and anyone is welcome as long as they know that scratches are garunteed, dents are probable (but avoidable if taken slow and we clear the final 10km), good attitude is manditory (mostly because s***ty situations get pretty bad when you are 30km and 3 days away from the trail head) :hillbilly:

Few more. Note all taken with Iphone cause we all forgot our camera's :hillbilly:
IMG_0030.jpg
IMG_0040.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg

Ok plan on some trail clearing, cause there is no way we are pushing to the lake without some clearing as it just does too much damage.

Sweet Deny, glad you guys have finally made it through! Been keeping an eye on your adventures, I'd love to tag along one time but it's a bit far out for what I m set up for right now, with the kids anyway.
:beer:

Nice job!

Brad

Ok plan on some trail clearing, cause there is no way we are pushing to the lake without some clearing as it just does too much damage.

:cool: We really haven't wheeled together..... ever? Just a couple times I guess - one time where I stuck a poplar branch through my sidewall.

Sweet Deny, glad you guys have finally made it through! Been keeping an eye on your adventures, I'd love to tag along one time but it's a bit far out for what I m set up for right now, with the kids anyway.
:beer:

Nice job!

Brad

Thanks Brad, good to hear you are following our crazy adventures. But really you don't need a super built truck for this trail as a mild lift, decent tires and some wheeling skill would probably get you through (mind you the crossings were a little intense, but only early in the year, by August long usually the quad traffic can make it in as well. I'd suggest swampers and possibly a winch if you don't want to get too many tugs, but they are not necessary. Swampers and one locker will make the trail a walk in the park (except for the technicallity of it). Amanda needed a few tugs in her 2in body lift Bronco II with 32 tsl radials, but Adam took that truck in to the 2nd crossing with no tugs (although it died and I had to tug it the 20km out of the trail) last year.

You woulda laughed at Adams kid machine this long weekend, as he had Amanda with giant dog diesel in the font seat with him, then his two year old daughter, 8 month old son, and 2nd smaller (make that average) sized dog in the back seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom