Found source of noise(hopefully) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Already did that and the noise went away. So I'm afraid it is in the t-case for sure. Has anyone been through this yet.

Why did that lead you to conclude that the noise is in the t-case? I would think the noise is in the drive shaft, if you pulled it, drove around, and the noise went away. There are a number of factors, other than being out-of-phase, which could make it noisy. Someone mentioned worn splines. You could have grease inhibiting its movement.

Maybe I don't understand what you are saying.

Did you try driving around with the front drive shaft out? That could be illuminating too. Romer has a long thread on this issue.

The driveshaft shop said the splines looked good and that the shaft was probably transmistting noise from the t-case or rear diff. Since I have already been in the rear diff I'm basically assuming it is in the t-case, especially since the noise went away in 4 lo and driving without the rear shaft in. Do appreciate the ideas though Bama.

Yeah I practically spent all my teenage years and a few of college summers at myrtle beach!:D I was referring to Panama City Beach. I grew up inbetween Anderson and Clemson S.C. GO TIGERS!!:bounce:

Yeah I was watching the rpm's closely, no matter what I did I couldn't get it to make the noise although my speedo was only registering around 40 mph at the highest.

Yeah I was watching the rpm's closely, no matter what I did I couldn't get it to make the noise although my speedo was only registering around 40 mph at the highest.

Which could be your problem. Mine doesn't make noise until after 55-60 mph.

Anything new on this? The noise you describe sounds like one I am battling. You have already done tests that I have planned. Sure hope we can figure this out! I just crank the stereo now so I don't have to listen to it!

Good Luck!

Yes, we need follow-up

Update:
Had the rear drive shaft put back "in phase" and balanced, noise was better but still there. I just recently installed a set of slightly used 265/75/16 BFG AT's and the noise appears to be gone but it also could be the slight hum of the tires masking the noise. So for now I'm tired of stressing over this noise and am enjoying my cruiser. I did have two different brand tires front and rear before but the same size obviously but I am wondering if they could have been slightly shorter or taller causing some t-case issues? Good luck to everyone else with this noise.:beer:

If the noise does not come back then your tires were probably the culprit.
I noticed this same noise/vibration after doing my OME lift.
I do not have a heavy bumper up front or winch and I am sure that aggrevates the vibs. Once I put my sliders on it seems to go away. I am sure that the vibs/noise will return over time. With 178K miles on her I do not think it is unreasonable to expect to have to swap out some transfer case output bearing and adjust the 3rd member. I think we all will be looking at this eventually.
For now - no worries - sterio turned back up

Poor tires will cause ur problems. A buddy of mine found a poorly manufactured tire that would act-up at certain speeds.

Also, check engine and tranny mounts, if they are damaged, this will cause vibration. Someone on the Lcool site (many years ago) pointed this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom