Found a FJ45 trying to determine value (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK- I located a 1966 FJ45 LWB truck over the holidays during our family travels. Almost drove off the road actually. I was able to contact the owner and he is willing to sell in the future. It has been sitting in a covered barn for 18 years or so. It is 100% bone stock with the headache rack in the back. Rust is minor in cab and trace frame surface rust. I also noticed trace rust on bed at seams but not serious here. Also includes tailgate.

The paint is original light faint green. Original engine obviously and stocker tires, wheels, and hubcap.

He tells me he thinks it is worth is $6000. I don't know much about FJ45's.

My plans are 100% OEM stock just like factory.

Let me know about the price?

thanks

Aaron

You're probably cheating him if you only pay that much. :D

PM me the address and I'll go check it our for ya

Jus kidding..........Follow up on it, but I don't know if that is a deal or not.

Fj45

Yoda- Yes it's tough to tell really. I mean if you want a FJ45 it's not like there are many out there to gauge value. The 40's are easier with so many websites and digital photos to determine value.

I cannot decide if our next cruiser should be something gray market diesel rare out of B.C. or a stocker FJ45 truck. If he takes my offer on the FJ45 then it will be a FJ45.

Aaron

Paid 5K for mine, ZERO RUST.... that was back in '95...before the Land Cruiser market got totally blown out of whack...

I agree with Dave though...

running, driving clean 45 lwb pup with headache rack.... 6K is very fair.

Good luck!

-Steve

question for you steve (sorry for the hi-jack)

but when did the fj market go crazy/get big?? (i realize that it has grown a lot b/c of the internet)
not tryin to protect myself and say i didn't jump on the bandwagon or anything, but i was next to un-aware of cruisers when i bought mine in back in 2002 before i went off to clemson.

malphrus

oh, and riddler, go with your gut on the 45lwb. i would love to have one (only seen one in my life), and wish i had the money to find one for 6k....

malphrus

Jumping in here:

Ebay and the internet ( a double edged sword) brought the community together and unfortunately some greed with it. Market hype and the desire to own something of value and history. When I got into LC's back in '79 it was almost pure word of mouth, or a tiny newsletter :)

72cruiser said:

but when did the fj market go crazy/get big?? (i realize that it has grown a lot b/c of the internet)
not tryin to protect myself and say i didn't jump on the bandwagon or anything, but i was next to un-aware of cruisers when i bought mine in back in 2002 before i went off to clemson.

malphrus

BTW RIDDLER good luck on the FJ45. It is a great price!

I am in the market for one. When I am ready I know it will apppear ;)

i think that's a great price and wish you luck in your new purchase

so it hasn't ran in 18 years?

$6,000. is a decent price if condition is as you say

hey riddler, are you tall? i'm 6'4" and had to sell my 45 because of lack of leg room . it was one of these "i can't past this up" kinda deals that turned into an undriveable waste of money.

72cruiser said:

malphrus

I believe the market got out-of-whack with the dot-com boom. You know, when guys were buying multi-million dollar homes for cash. I think we're talking 96ish to 99ish. Pricves were increadible and dot-comers who would normally be buying Italian sports cars started buying vintage 4x4s. I think the prices on old Broncos/Scouts/Jeeps did the same thing...but Cruiser prices got out of control.

You didn't know about 'em 'cause you were a punk kid! :D

Garth1 said:
You didn't know about 'em 'cause you were a punk kid! :D

and???, ha ha

malphrus

any updates on the 45 riddler???

Fj45

I am just over 6 ft tall. I think it should fit.

It ran once in 18 years when it was checked over, given an oil change, and a fresh battery for a move from one barn to a trailer. It was driven on a flatbed trailer with square tires and then trailered to and driven off into a more sturdy barn for another 8 years or so.

This guy knows about cruisers. I am not out to screw anyone over either. I have patiently asked monthly to be placed at the top of the list to buy this FJ45 and he agreed to that. We have talked about Cruisers for hours on end to develope a bit of connection. Honestly who knows if it will work out. If it doesn't I will just have to spend some vacation time in Canada scouting for a FJ45 up there.

I just think that I have a good chance if I am patient and polite. I know that he won't take less than 6k so now it becomes a waiting game. The follow up to this original post could come in 1 month or 4 years. I apologize if I misled anyone but buying a FJ45 for me is a pursuit that will take time. I have seen the rusty FJ45's for sale via EBAY and I am not into complete fabrication of parts. I'd rather pay more and wait.

Garth1 said:
I believe the market got out-of-whack with the dot-com boom. You know, when guys were buying multi-million dollar homes for cash. I think we're talking 96ish to 99ish. Pricves were increadible and dot-comers who would normally be buying Italian sports cars started buying vintage 4x4s. I think the prices on old Broncos/Scouts/Jeeps did the same thing...but Cruiser prices got out of control.

Right on the mark Garth....

Even when I purchased my first 40 series in 1988, I could not find anyone that knew anything about these vehicles...'cept for folks in kalifornia...

Hopefully you find your 45.

Good luck!

-Steve

sounds like a good price to me.

I paid 4K for mine, it has some rust, was pretty much stock, no headache rack, tailgate is not to pretty, came with a sweet 2f and FF rear axle. I would have paid 6k if it was almost rust free.

Next time you go to see him, take some cash and make him a real offer with the cash on the hood........if not you might never own it.

I agree, I wouldn't wait around too long, lest someone else comes in, cash in hand, and make him a solid offer. If you think he needs more time, hit him around Tax time.

LWB FJ45 with little to no rust, original (unbutchered) condition, with headache bar and tailgate in excellent shape and all other FJ45-specific hardware (like the hard top fasteners) present and accounted for, $6K is not a bad price. Not cheap, but these things are exactly glutting the market, it could be a LONG time before you find another one.

Landpimp said:
I paid 4K for mine, it has some rust, was pretty much stock, no headache rack, tailgate is not to pretty

When did you buy yours, John?

Over and above the dot-com stock market thing, if it has any bearing at all, there has been real inflation in the last 7-8 years, plus there are more potential buyers via the Great Gore Internet, so the effective demand has gone up. Also, since the 90s, rust has progressed and the supply has gone down. The supply of replacement parts has also dwindled and effectively vanished for a lot of little parts, so an intact truck is worth more. Given that, I think an increase of 50% in the price since the 90s is not unreasonable or unexpected.

Maybe...

I wouldn't say yes or no for sure with out pictures just because people all seem to have varying definitions of rust... a 45 that I looked at that 3_puppies bought was described to me as solid with some rust, it had much more than described.
How bad do you want it? If you can come by 6k easy then go for it. Price is not so much an issue as availability. I would have cash in hand and make him an offer or see if there is something that he would trade for that is more of a motivator- say a rare rifle, quad etc. If you are buying this for function and usability then keep in mind the defroster barely works, the doors typically rattle, the cab is a bit cramped, the floor gets real hot in the summer, parts are becoming scarce, and they are easy to steal. Other than that they are one of the coolest trucks ever made. Later.. Kief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom