Formula Toy Advice FZJ80 Rear axle with OFFSET 3rd member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at doing a Formula Toy buggy, I already have a front FZJ80 elocker axle mounted in the 4runner chassis, I want the rear to match(1993-1997 FZJ80 -- elocker, full float, and disc brakes, and the same wms-wms to match the front) The advice I am looking for is... I am using mini truck drivetrain/frame.. which in turn means that my rear driveshaft will be centrally located, however the rear FZ-80 axle is offset(I have seen a lot of buggies that have the rear diff located at either the far left, or far right for ground clearance issues), so I would assume that with just a LITTLE offset that I wont have any crazy u-joint vibration/premature wear with speeds less than maybe 35 on a flat trail?, or are the guys that are running the crazy offset diffs running a special type of u-joint? I plan on running factory mini toy driveshafts/u-joints...

:beer:

I *think* the key is to maintain the pinion and output shafts parallel. A standard two u-joint driveshaft deals with vertical offset all day every day. So as long as you keep the shafts parallel the driveshaft doesn't care that it's offset vertically AND horizontally...

Makes Sense....but this scenario would have both vertical, AND horizontal offset, I could offset that some by rotating the pinion angle up, but there would still be the horizontal offset, not sure if that would vibrate like crazy.

Last edited:
my rear driveshaft is offset with a centered diff. both are paralell

my front diff is offset more than the front output and the front diff points the pinion at the tcase (just like you describe) i can do 80+ mph with this setup and no vibes. just have to try it and see

you could always run dual cv's. highangle driveline said i would need a dual cv for my front dshaft. they were wrong

I have no problems running the exact same setup you want to.

So as long as you keep the shafts parallel the driveshaft doesn't care that it's offset vertically AND horizontally...

Makes Sense....but this scenario would have both vertical, AND horizontal offset, I could offset that some by rotating the pinion angle up, but there would still be the horizontal offset, not sure if that would vibrate like crazy.

I know they will be offset in two directions. It doesn't matter, just make sure the pinion and output shaft are parallel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom