Force required to remove and install wheel studs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Can a 1-ton arbor press do the trick? I have easy access to one and it'd save me having to wait until I can make space for a larger hydraulic press in my shop.

Yes. You dont actually need a press either. In a pinch (AKA my college days), I knocked my studs out with a 4lb sledgehammer and reinstalled them the same way. Throw a nut on the top to protect the threads or you run the risk of boogering the threads. Ask me how I know that :rolleyes:

While you can pound them out with no issue using a hammer and a makeshift support/jig, there isn't a single shop in the world that would recommend pounding them back IN. Toyota doesn't and no brake shop would either.
Just use the correct technique/tool. It's not like you're living in a third world country. Yeah a 1 ton press should push them in, or take it to a brake shop. They'll press them in for you for $20. That's what I did

While you can pound them out with no issue using a hammer and a makeshift support/jig, there isn't a single shop in the world that would recommend pounding them back IN. Toyota doesn't and no brake shop would either.
Just use the correct technique/tool. It's not like you're living in a third world country. Yeah a 1 ton press should push them in, or take it to a brake shop. They'll press them in for you for $20. That's what I did
What is the risk of seating them (with conservative effort with a drift) and then torque?

Force transfered to the diff?

There’s no need to drive studs home with any real force. Once the wheel is on and the nut is tight the studs get pulled in such that the splines on the stud can bite into the flange.

A lot to get them out and a lot to get them in. If I can do it....

There’s no need to drive studs home with any real force. Once the wheel is on and the nut is tight the studs get pulled in such that the splines on the stud can bite into the flange.
That's what I thought. @OSS has an opinion that I generally respect. Curious what his reasoning is...

That's what I thought. @OSS has an opinion that I generally respect. Curious what his reasoning is...

@OSS said pretty much the same thing I said. Pound out ok. Don’t pound in. Either use the nut to pull it in or use a press and proper support.

Because using a hammer to install them is like teenage sex: uncontrolled insertion. If the stud knurls aren't aligned with the existing grooves in the hub and the stud is suddenly whacked with a BFH, there's some risk of both a crooked insertion at first whack and mashing the knurls in the process which then could create a looser fit - which could conceivably lead to a stripped stud come wheel torquing time.

Using a press allows for a more careful and controlled insertion of the stud, (kinda like middle age sex) ensuring it goes in straight and aligned right at the start and seated fully at the end.

Yeah -lots of people just pound them back in with a BFH, but that's not the best way to do it.

Using the nut to seat them isn't the greatest way to install them takes more torque to do it that way than the wheel studs are made for can possibly strip and or stretch the threads not saying it can't be done or that i have never done it but a pressing them on would be best.
Tommy

1-Ton Arbor press should work fine.

Because using a hammer to install them is like teenage sex: uncontrolled insertion. If the stud knurls aren't aligned with the existing grooves in the hub and the stud is suddenly whacked with a BFH, there's some risk of both a crooked insertion at first whack and mashing the knurls in the process which then could create a looser fit - which could conceivably lead to a stripped stud come wheel torquing time.

Using a press allows for a more careful and controlled insertion of the stud, (kinda like middle age sex) ensuring it goes in straight and aligned right at the start and seated fully at the end.

Yeah -lots of people just pound them back in with a BFH, but that's not the best way to do it.
Then I guess when your old, you just try and try again:rofl:
This just came to mind when your old...
4986903A-F552-4174-A2B1-6125AEA7DB42.jpeg

Last edited:
We're talking wheel studs here folks, knock em out, knock em in, torque em up, away you go. I'd gander that it's easier to foul up the install with a press, than with a gentle hand.

You know, when you make a hamburger, sometimes you just can't resist the urge to take that spatula and give that guy a press right there on the Webber......you know you shouldn't, if you want a good burger, but...you....just....can't help yourself.

Using the nut to seat them isn't the greatest way to install them takes more torque to do it that way than the wheel studs are made for can possibly strip and or stretch the threads not saying it can't be done or that i have never done it but a pressing them on would be best.
Tommy
That's why I like the idea of the doing it manually. You put that new wheel stud in there...from the back side, of course...FEEL the grooves that are a simple reminder of the last stud that was in there, and guide it in with the physical feedback that only the bare hand allows.
1-Ton Arbor press should work fine.

But how do you get that apparatus wrapped up in there if you only have one to replace?
We're talking wheel studs here folks, knock em out, knock em in, torque em up, away you go. I'd gander that it's easier to foul up the install with a press, than with a gentle hand.
To me, that is just it.

It doesn't matter HOW you do it, as long as you know that, on the receiving end, you are causing no damage... That it mates properly, so to speak.

;)

I'll be honest... I did mine the way its not recommended. With an impact wrench, a nut and some washers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom