for you guys with fridges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a few week trip coming up, and I'm coming to the conclusion that waiting to win one in a raffle may not be the sure plan to acquire said fridge as originally figured. :D

I may have to break down and buy one. So my question to those that have 'em: transit bag, "nice to have" or "crazy not to have"?

As my 74's already getting a new exhaust tomorrow, and as I'm currently "semi-retired" :lol::lol:
I could do without tagging an extra 170-odd bucks onto my bill.
But if it's a must, then I will.

I never had the fridge without transit bag, what I can tell you is I took the bag off for the first time this year for a cleaning and the fridge looks like new. Considering all the sharp metal stuff floating around in the back of the truck, probably well worth it just for the the protection.

I have a ARB (new style) with out and the Canvas transit bad is very high on my list of wants. I already have a few spots were things have rested against it on the trail and marked it.

I have also herd its very good for people that live or travel in hot claimants as it can cut the cycle times in half (meaning the compressor runs for a much shorter time and less frequently)

Picked up a transit bag and it helped not only keep it in good condition but also keeps the temps away and insulates that much more. Now you can accomplish the same thing (or close to) by getting the thermal bubble wrap (with the silver, aluminum type sheet on it) and "making" your own by using tape. At least cover all the sides and a separate one for the lid and you'll get almost the same thing for a couple hours work and much less money.

where you goin?

Road trip with, um, bj70_gal. Tentative plan is Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Craters of the moon, south to Vegas, then Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion.
Gal flies home from Vegas and I may go visit a friend in San Diego before heading home.

All pavement pounding, but I'm pretty sure if I do it in a lifted Cruiser with a fridge, it qualifies as an expedition :rolleyes: :D

I don't know about the temps with the bag, but I can tell you my brand new ARB needed to be set at -4 celsius to keep my beer suitably chilled on the road in Oregon. After I got home I set it to -18 C with two small bread pans with about 5 cm of water in each with the fridge in my living room and plugged into 120 V.

After about 5 hrs the one on the bottom was frozen and the one on the top shelf had only a 3 mm or so layer of ice on top.

Perhoops the transit bag will give you better performance, or maybe mine's just effed.

Any insulation you add will cut down on the time the fridge runs. I use my 80 qt Waeco almost everyday to hold my lunch. I turn it on before I head to work and its cold by the time I get there, about 35 minutes to get there. Only cycles occaisionally during the 9 hours I am at work.

Found out though that running it for almost 36 hours in 100 degree weather will pretty much draw down two deep cycles to the point they wouldn't start my rig... Even with the transit bag. The solar panel battery charging experiment has started.

But definately use one.

Tony

Road trip with, um, bj70_gal. Tentative plan is Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Craters of the moon, south to Vegas, then Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion.
Gal flies home from Vegas and I may go visit a friend in San Diego before heading home.

All pavement pounding, but I'm pretty sure if I do it in a lifted Cruiser with a fridge, it qualifies as an expedition :rolleyes: :D

Well why didn't you say it was for an expedition, you know you definately need the cooler cover. You also need a sticker to say you are on an expedition and you will need to put something on the roof, or it won't count as an official expedition! ;p :hillbilly:

edit - if you want to do this trip swamp donkey style, wrap that bitch up in a tarp and caller good! But make sure you have a 60:40 ratio beer to food in that fridge!:hillbilly:

After about 5 hrs the one on the bottom was frozen and the one on the top shelf had only a 3 mm or so layer of ice on top.

Perhoops the transit bag will give you better performance, or maybe mine's just effed.

The gauge is more of a guideline it seems. I keep mine set at -2 to keep the beers chilled. At -7 it was freezing water bottles. But it does have the transit "bag" as well.

edit - if you want to do this trip swamp donkey style, wrap that bitch up in a tarp and caller good! But make sure you have a 60:40 ratio beer to food in that fridge!:hillbilly:

I think she would rather ride in the front.....

I run mine at -1 and my drinks are ice cold. I need to make sure the veggies are at the top to keep them from freezing. I do not go by the temp reading I tested it for the first 6 months I had had it trying to find the happy place for me its in the -1 or -3 area. If I have lots of frozen food in it for a longer trip I can keep the fridge at -2 and keep the food frozen.

I think she would rather ride in the front.....

ha ha :beer: I do hope Norm you don't think I was talking about JDM BJ74_gal, but about the cooler! :hillbilly: That damn sneaky jeff twisting words and all.

Well why didn't you say it was for an expedition, you know you definately need the cooler cover. You also need a sticker to say you are on an expedition and you will need to put something on the roof, or it won't count as an official expedition! ;p :hillbilly:

I can't read posts like this any longer without hearing the computer generated voice from that "Expedition" cartoon speak the words. Too funny.

gb

ha ha :beer: I do hope Norm you don't think I was talking about JDM BJ74_gal, but about the cooler! :hillbilly: That damn sneaky jeff twisting words and all.

I was ok with the tarp idea, but you didn't have to call her a bitch - she's really very nice :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom