Fog light pod wiring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question for you guys. I have a 2018 gx460 and I’m looking to wire in diode dynamics ssc1 fogs in place of the stock unit. The diode dynamics say whatever harness used should be at least 18 gauge. I can’t tell what the factory wiring connector is that goes to oem fogs but it seems quite thin. Anyone know? Safe to wire the ssc1s directly to the stock fog light wiring?

Thanks all
Dan

Find out what the wattage (or amps) is required for the Diode Dynamics SSC1 fog lights and look up the rated wire gauge.
This will give you the formulas for figuring out your amperage if needed: 3 Ways to Calculate Wattage - wikiHow - https://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Wattage
This will give you the approximate wire gauge per length of wire: 12V Wire Size Calculator + Chart: What Size Wire You Need? - https://learnmetrics.com/12v-wire-size-calculator-chart/
Between these two links you should find your answer.
(don't you hate it when someone gives you the tools to figure it out yourself instead of just giving you a simple answer!)

Problem is I don’t know the gauge of the factory wiring. The DD require 18 gauge

Problem is I don’t know the gauge of the factory wiring. The DD require 18 gauge

18ga wire is pretty thin. I haven't looked at what the factory wiring is but can't imagine it's any thinner than 18ga.
I can't either since the OEM fog light bulb is the same 55w bulb as the low beam headlight. I just used the OEM harness for my DD Stage Series fogs.

Generally you can measure the diameter of the wire, including insulation and that should give you an good idea of what the gauge is.
Albeit, you'll need a set of calipers, micrometer or something that's more than a straight edge ruler.
If you don't already, a set of calipers is a very handy tool: Amazon product ASIN B07X8JQ8L5

One last method to try is just splice the new fogs into your existing wiring, just let the fox lights hang there and turn the engine, all your driving lights, everything.
Let it sit for about 10 or 15 minutes while every couple of minutes touching the wire to see if it's getting warm/hot. If it's staying relatively cool to warm after 15 minutes or so, I'd say you're good to go. Just bolt them in and wire them up!
If you are very worried about a melt down, add an inline fuse that's less then the amperage of the wire.

Question for you guys. I have a 2018 gx460 and I’m looking to wire in diode dynamics ssc1 fogs in place of the stock unit. The diode dynamics say whatever harness used should be at least 18 gauge. I can’t tell what the factory wiring connector is that goes to oem fogs but it seems quite thin. Anyone know? Safe to wire the ssc1s directly to the stock fog light wiring?

Thanks all
Dan
I have these sitting in my cart for their sale. Are you going to try to wire the backlight in anywhere (maybe DRLs) or just have them off/on with the OEM fog light switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom