Fog Light Brightness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have tried a few different style of bulbs in my stock fog lights on my '03 GX and they all are pretty dim compared to other vehicles I have had and others I have seen. I can almost look directly into where the beam is and its not too bright.

With the fog light off I noticed what looks like a cover over the bulb, obviously factory, to reflect the light back into the housing, just like a typical halogen housing. Anyone have experience taking the housings apart and taking the cover out? If it can be done I guess.

Also I know that if I wanted to I could replace those with pod lights but I hate the look and would rather have OEM fog housings.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

That cover is a glare blocker. it's meant to keep the light from going straight out and into drivers eyes. It blocks some light but directs it into the reflector bowl where it can be focused. you see it on low beams as well (cars without projectors) but not on the High beams (cars with separate non projector low/high)

you can absolutely remove it, and it will make it brighter, but you also risk blinding other drivers... and that light may not be added to an aria of the road that helps. $.02

have you tried HID in there? I just purchased a GX last night and have HID replacements for Lows and Fogs coming. should have them by this weekend and i can report a difference for ya

Stock fogs won't really do much and also you want to keep in mind the amount of light near your car vs how far your headlights illuminate to. If the area near your car is extremely bright (where most factory fogs are most effective) its harder to see anything past that which makes driving on back roads much more difficult. You want to keep a balance

Stock fogs won't really do much and also you want to keep in mind the amount of light near your car vs how far your headlights illuminate to. If the area near your car is extremely bright (where most factory fogs are most effective) its harder to see anything past that which makes driving on back roads much more difficult. You want to keep a balance

I think I'm just going to remove the stock fog housings and mount some aux. lights in their place.

I tried all sorts of bulbs and was never happy with them. So I have some Baja Design SP2 amber fogs on order. Ill post up some install photos soon.

Well they are FOG lights... if used as intended you shouldn't be worried about seeing further down the road... but you are correct, and it's why they turn off with high beams

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom