Fluid Film Application Tips. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Winter....... “Say Hello To My Little Friends”
72B6BC9A-E673-4F72-BA74-39F4B4B2EA8C.jpeg

I used 8, 11oz cans. It smells a little like a fast food joint for awhile.:popcorn:

Do you need to remove the plastic fender liners before applying FF?
Good point here, the 100 series and 200 series (no experience with older series) has "unprotected" rear fender arch. Meaning, the interior side of the fender arch, if you run your finger along it, it's just simple painted metal, no factory textured coating (unlike the main of the wheel well), I often wondered why Toyota did that. Also, I have also NOT seen much bubbling paint/rusing in this area, my co-worker's 1999 LX and my 2011 both have tons of dirt and grime build up, but dirt won't hurt the car...weird. My OCD makes me clean the sh-t out of this thin strip of metal and now I'm thinking between POR15 or spray with FF.

spoke to POR guys, i'll choose the "spray paint with Dupli color, then top coat with Dupli color clear coat" then spray FF. No more POR 15, it requires mechanical abrasion of surface followed up metal prep, and dry...just too complex and damages the metal unecessarily.

Hi, I'm planning my first application of FF. There is a reference above to getting it dirt immediately. Is it not better to let it dry while it is clean?

Once it's dry and you've gotten it caked with mud on the trail, is it better to clean it off or leave it? Do you have to apply it more often if you are muddying it up several times a year?

There is a reference above to getting it dirt immediately. Is it not better to let it dry while it is clean?

My experience after using FF for 3-4 years is that it never really 'dries.' The underside of your truck will be a slimy mess so I try my best to get it dirty because it's a bit like adding flour to gravy. The dust helps thicken the waxy goo so it isn't as messy (it will still be messy).

I reapply every fall and that seems sufficient, YMMV.

Thanks for the clarification. So I shouldn't wash the undercarriage even after mudding, just leave it muddy year around?

Do you need to get all the mud off before FF is reapplied the next year?

FluidFilm time of year again! *sniifffffff* :woot:

I apply by bulk into the refillable spray applicator, and my tip for filling is this:

1) Preheat oven to 150 degrees (lowest setting on my oven)
2) Wait ten minutes
3) Turn oven OFF and put the gallon can into the oven
4) Wait ten minutes
5) Pop lid, stir (it should be substantially liquid, if not then give it another round in the oven) and pour into the applicator bottle.

My best tip it to take it to a garage that applies it for you lol.

A couple years of rolling around under it in the garage with spray cans....More than happy to pay the extra $80-100 for someone to do it on a lift! They cover it much better and no fuss!

Thanks for the clarification. So I shouldn't wash the undercarriage even after mudding, just leave it muddy year around?

Do you need to get all the mud off before FF is reapplied the next year?
No just spray FF right over the mud. If the mud is EXTRA thick, the fluid film sticks even better to it.

Any one applied fluid film using a harbor freight electric paint sprayer 'Krause & BECKER
5 GPH Electric Paint Spray Gun" or similar.
I have read this works too but looking for some one to shed some light on pros and cons if they have used it. I dont have a compressor at home but I did buy an undercoating spray gun and a home Depot bottle that it screws onto. My friend has a 6 Gallon compressor but read that its too small. So was thinking about renting one from HD, but also thinking that it may be just cost effective to go the electric paint sprayer route. Any thoughts ?

Any one applied fluid film using a harbor freight electric paint sprayer 'Krause & BECKER
5 GPH Electric Paint Spray Gun" or similar.
I have read this works too but looking for some one to shed some light on pros and cons if they have used it. I dont have a compressor at home but I did buy an undercoating spray gun and a home Depot bottle that it screws onto. My friend has a 6 Gallon compressor but read that its too small. So was thinking about renting one from HD, but also thinking that it may be just cost effective to go the electric paint sprayer route. Any thoughts ?
I personally bought one of the FF guns but in the end wound up using cans with the spray wand extensions and that worked extremely well. I use a combo of FF and Surface Sheild. The straws and wand extensions, being such a small diameter fit into all of the areas of the frame and doors without drilling. For any larger surfaces, the can spray tip was sufficient. I still have a gallon of FF and the gun sitting here but will wait until I gather everything needed to try it out, of which the compressor was my concern. Still, with a gun, cans and extensions are needed for the other areas if you dont want to drill.

Yeah, I just use the aerosol cans. Probably takes a little longer but it gets the job done and I can do it without putting my truck on a lift or taking it anywhere. Just spray it while parked in my yard and let it drip overnight.

The aerosol cans get the job done but like someone already said the gallon fluid film and a cheap undercoating spray gun is night and day. The stuff on the aerosol is not the same product, it’s much thicker and doesn’t go on that smooth, comes out too splotchy. The gallon sprays like thick clearcoat. Much easier to use. If you got the money and want a really nice undercoating gun you can get the Lemmer undercoating gun. It’s way nicer than the guns that come with the fluid film kit on Amazon. The wands are much thinner and can get into 99% of drain holes and cavities. You’ll be using the aerosol red extension wand for maybe 2% of the job if that.

I'm not hating on anybody that uses a spray gun. It's probably 5 or 6 times quicker that way...but how it lays down doesn't really matter other than speed. It's a lanolin film. The whole point is that it creeps and self-heals. If it goes on looking like boogers just drive your truck for about half an hour and warm everything up. It'll flow and settle and no one will know the difference. Coverage is more important than how you get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom