Flatlander’s 1974 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's confusing because all of the parts needed to fix were in the stash that came with the rig :mad:

My plan is to start rehab on the top and then during the winter tackle the windshield frame. The weather has been nice and I'm just driving as much as possible.

Amazon showed up with my winch hook. Super technical install :cool:

IMG_5494.JPG

@redfj just ordered my struts. Now, the weatherstripping, a little elbow grease, and my hatch will be ready to install.

@ginmtb for the hatch, I think you referenced PN 67871-90300, correct?

Headed out in a bit to (hopefully) buy my own red '74 40. Thanks for documenting all this.

Just realized you posted the FJ40 in a barn thread, soooo?? Did you get it??

Any idea what went in this rectangular space? Brake/Fasten seatbelt, although from my research it appear to be located higher up on the dash.

IMG_5498.PNG

Any lift on it?

Still on 31's?

Im making the jump to 33's this summer and mine will look very similar to your except i have OME 2.5"

Any lift on it?

Still on 31's?

Im making the jump to 33's this summer and mine will look very similar to your except i have OME 2.5"

It has a shackle lift w/ shims. The tires are 31x10.50R15 Baja Claws, DOT 2001 :eek:. They are working for now. I also plan to install the OME 2.5" with Bilstien shocks, and 33" BFG TAKO2's, which pains me since I work for Goodyear. However, we don't offer a 33x10.50R15 option. We have 33x12.50 and 32x11.50 and on 5.5" rims is stretching it.

Last edited:
Ok good to know now i have a better idea what my 42 will look like

Ok good to know now i have a better idea what my 42 will look like

Your rig chubs me up a bit, just being honest.

I can fit the 33's and may first since dropping $2500 on lift and tires would have my wife questioning the "safety" line I've been using.

Any idea what went in this rectangular space? Brake/Fasten seatbelt, although from my research it appear to be located higher up on the dash.

View attachment 1451099

Is that on your 74? Should not exist. The brake light is that silver framed light above it. Does that light up when you pull the parking brake?

Is that on your 74? Should not exist. The brake light is that silver framed light above it. Does that light up when you pull the parking brake?

It is. The brake light does not light up. It appears to be disconnected. I haven't found any other dash that looks like mine but it definitely appears to be factory.

As nice as that rectangle is, it doesn't appear to be factory. Too close to the switch is the clue that rules out the factory. Check out this thread for some dash configurations:

Dash Configuration Reference

If the brake light doesn't light up but is connected, it is an easy adjustment. There is a switch connected to the parking brake - it is a little finicky but once it's setup correctly it should light up when the parking brake is pulled all the way out and then will turn off when either the lever is pushed in or the brake pedal is stepped on.

Coolant leak is back. Appears to be from the drain cock which is plastic. Is it suggested to replace with another plastic one, replace the rubber seal, or go with a metal bolt (12mm I think?)

IMG_5501.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

After looking through some paperwork it appears the radiator was replaced in 2002 along with the thermostat and waterpump in 2010. Since I already purchased new hoses, clamps, and thermostat from Toyota I'm planning on replacing them. The current hoses were invoiced 2001. The coolant looks very clean.

Also found more windshield frame parts I'll need when I tackle that project later on.

And, lurking behind my top is an "unmolested" fiberglass top with rain gutter. I'm hoping for minimal rust between the two.

Lots of parts just need time to complete items on my checklist.

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5506.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom