Flat Towing an '07 Auto FJ Cruiser 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spaldam

S.J.'s Adventures
Threads
Website
sjsadv.com
I've got an '07 automatic tranny, and am looking at what it takes to flat tow it behind a C class. Looks like it can be done, and all I should have to do it disconnect the rear-drive shaft while leaving the tranny in park, and the transfer case in "H".

However, it looks like I still need a lot of expensive things to attach the vehicle to the C class. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

1. Tow bar: I'm looking at using this one
2. Tow bar accessories/kit like these ones
3. Wiring for lights, is this what I need?
4. A way to active the breaks, using something like this.
5. A way to attach the tow bar to the bumper using an adapter like this.
6. An Expedition One Front Bumper.

Is there a way to do it less expensively?

Thanks!

Everything I've ever read/heard, says you should not flat tow the FJC because it will harm the driveline components. I don't recall what parts are the issue or why...but you may want to do some more research with this particular vehicle before buying all the parts on your list.

I've been towing my '07 auto since it was new. I've towed it over 60,000 miles with a class A. I installed the Remco driveshaft disconnect shortly after driving it home from the dealership. I use the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar because its mostly aluminum and holds up better in salt/snow conditions. I didn't want to splice into the wires so I bought a cheap wireless magnetic tail light system. I tried a brake system but I didn't like it because it didn't adapt to the Toyota active brake system. I believe they make better brake systems now.

There's several people on the FJ forum that have been towing them behind motor homes since around the end of '06. The last time he was on was about 4 years ago and he posted that he was still towing the FJ and traveling without problems. I don't know what happened to him, but he was 75 so he may have quit or passed on. One guy came up with a way to tow his and has been towing his manual for a few years now too with no problems.

In premise, you've got it. As long as you disconnect the driveshaft you're golden. I would look into the Renco disconnect. In practicality, fully disconnecting/connecting the driveshaft every time you want to drive it sounds like the biggest pain in the ass and would get old FAST (to me).

I have towed my 2007 all over the country including Alaska trip 9K miles, back east 7K miles.
Drive line disconnect is all it takes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom