FJC is Toyota's answer to the Xterra! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Panzer

SILVER Star
Threads
Writer in one of the auto webzines mad the comment and got me to thinking.

Explains why no removeable top. I have thought for a while (as Toyota abandoned the faithful to produce $$ vehicles) that the Xterra was the new LC.
Basic amenities, low entry price, 4wd, etc. It makes sense that Toyota sees the disappearance of the entry level buyer and is trying to make something to bring them back. My first Toyota was a hilux because it was cheap. The quality was what kept me coming back.

Just food for thought.

Sad but maybe true.

The Xterra was never "affordable". A base model 4x4 with manual hubs and absolutely no options was around $24,000 (they wouldn't deal at all). When they first hit the dealer, they sold for $5000 over MSRP. Now they are upscale and not cheap at all. I looked at the Xterra for my wife. Bought a Heep Liberty Limited 4x4 V6 for 21,000, with every single option including leather and part time/full time transfer case. Heck, the new 2005 Xterra base model 4x4 is $26,500!

And I can't wait to get rid of the Heep in August of 2006. I think I'll pick up an FJ, it'll make a nice grocery getter.

Sadly, I think the manufacturer's idea of inexpensive for a 4WD is about $25K. I fully expect a base FJC to run $25K+.

I didn't know the loaded Liberty was $21K, that explains why I see so darn many of them.

Xterra started life as a $21-24K 4x4. That was for the most expensive one. As it got popular they gradually raised the prices. I had a new 00 Xterra for $23.5 for the "top of the line".

FJ is supposed to be in the 17-25K range.
I'm sure a dealer loaded one will easily hit $28K and when ANYTHING new comes out that alot of people want, they gouge the hell out of people. People were paying $30K for a PT Cruiser, remember that?

Hmm...so I see the FJ Cruiser 2wheeldrive version coming in at about $21K, and the 4wd version base at about $23,500 and a fully loaded 4x4 one at about $26,500.

Keep in mind that they mentioned a 2wd version, which is smart marketing (as much as most hate it) mostly the same vehicle, PERFECT for teeny boppers who'll never wheel it anyway, and it's cheaper, just like the 2wd 4Runners, which are all over (and a darn good deal compared to a normal car, don't compare to a 4x4 4Runner, but if you compare it to a Camry, that's a nice vehicle for the money). By selling a 2wd model they can say the FJ Cruiser starts at X dollars, so makes the whole model-line look good, obviously the 4x4 will be more, but having a stripped down 2wd model is good (albiet a bit mis-leading) marketing.

Just to clarify, the Liberty can be had cheaper because they will deal on them more than other makes. The sticker may be alot higher now, I have no idea.

It really is a great grocery getter. It is not a trail rig and never will be. At the time, my wife needed something affordable and we need our vehicles to have 4wd to get to my parents place.

The other thing, I am not planning on keeping it long term, but it should be relatively trouble free for 100,000mi. (I hope)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom