FJammer radio installed in the 80, want to add a subwoofer. Need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I located and installed an FJammer 6disc in dash head unit from an 09 FJ Cruiser. I installed it in my 97 FZJ, works perfectly. :clap:

I want to add a subwoofer to the unit, but the factory sub and amp in my 97 were removed prior to me owning it. There are a set of RCA's, a power wire direct to battery, and an amp remote wire in the dash from a previous non-factory install. They are run to the carpet back by the factory sub area in the rear passenger panel.

There are 2 additional plug sockets on the back of the FJammer which as best as I can tell, the smaller one is for IPOD controls if you get the Toyota wire for it, the other is about a 20 pin rectangle and I assume that there would be pins that could be used for pre-outs to run an amp off of. This plug is on the passenger side of the head unit when installed.

I downloaded the FJ Cruiser EWD and can't figure out the pins I would connect to. I have not been able to locate a factory wire set that would access that 20 pin and I could tap into to catch the amp pre-out's.

What are my options? Has anyone worked this out? Ideas?, I am an amateur at best for radio wiring. :bang:

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

Photos attached, Fjammer Sub connect question

Finally got a minute to tear back into this and get some photos of what I am talking about. 1st. Here is the FJAMMER installed. FJammer photos 001.jpg

In the rear of the deck, there are 4 plugs. 2 used for factory power/speaker connections. The other 2 are white, smaller pin connectors. 1 is 12 pin - I believe where I would connect the IPOD adaptor FJammer photos 014.jpg , the other is a 20 pin. FJammer photos 015.jpg Same number of pins as my factory amp connector, but my amp is removed and was before I owned it. Need to know a few things.

Which pins on this connector would be the amp pre-out I could connect to a set of RCA's?

Which pin would be the amp remote wire?

Where can I get the plug that works for this insert and change out the plug on my factory harness?
FJammer photos 001.jpg
FJammer photos 014.jpg
FJammer photos 015.jpg

Photo of factory 20 pin compared to the fjammer 20 pin.

1st photo. white plug to the right of the grey ones is the FZJ80 20 pin amp wire.
FJammer photos 018.jpg
2nd photo. White 20 pin slot for the FJAMMER. FJammer photos 015.jpg

Thanks.
FJammer photos 018.jpg
FJammer photos 015.jpg

Looks good. How's the fit? You have to do any trim cutting? Let us know how it turns out....the wiring that is. I have an FJC and the FJammer is a pretty simple yet cool HU. Might pick up a used one for my 80.

I had to trim the lip out of the stereo opening to get it to fit, no more wood trim around the deck. Also had to trim out the alignment pin between the deck and the a/c controller, but the trim piece still is tight and not rattling.

As far as the factory plug in and system functioning goes, it works perfect. Nice to have a 6 disc in dash changer without a second unit somewhere. Also because it plays mp3's I don't really need an ipod, but it would be nice.

My system had the factory amp and sub removed, have kenwood 5 1/2 speakers in all 4 doors as well as mb quart tweets, and the factory 4 inchers above the 3rd row seat. Its a little light on bass, could use a little bump, nothing to annoy others in traffic, just a full deep sound.

I don't like the idea of tapping into the speaker wires to get the amp signal, especially where this deck ran a factory amp. Need the wiring specifics to hook it up right and get moving on locating an amp and sub to hide back in the corner panel.

Thanks.

The best part is that I paid 75.00 for this head unit... talk about an upgrade. I do have a kenwood mp3 single din and a pioneer cd single din I am not using. If someone wants em, they will go really cheap...almost free.

This is just the thread i was looking for.

I really liked the FJammer in my FJ Cruiser and just bought another one for my 80.

I got mine for 75 bucks to and it has a lot of features i like.
Aux input, sat ready, 6 disc holder, Toyota.

How hard is the install. Is it plug and play? I need to figure out an auxiliary input setup as well. Have you figured out any way to get the aux. input to work?

I know one of the plugs on the back is setup for a Sat receiver input, OR, an iPod hookup to where you can read the song titles and change songs from the radio controls. For the price of the iPod adapter, it's not worth it IMO.

The install was mostly plug and play. The deck uses the original mounting brackets from the FJ80, it uses the original plugs, no adapters necessary. The only not straight forward portion of the install is that the lip around the opening has to be trimmed to make the console face fit over the FJammer unit.

I have not attempted anything on the Aux input issue, I believe that there are some aux cables for camry's and other toyota's that work as well that might be a little cheaper.

Okay. I will get my audio guy to figure out how to get a plug in for auxiliary input via the headphone jack. There are kits you can buy that plug directly into the sat plug, but the cheapest i have found is like 150 and i am not sure if it works with an iPhone.

These look like a good option. Is the backlighting the greenish toyota color?

These look like a good option. Is the backlighting the greenish toyota color?

The back lights are the orangish you see in the new FJC and 4runner buttons. However, the LCD you can change the color of to 1 of 6-7 colors. Red, orange, green, blue, purple, white, teal, maybe 1 or two more?

You can also get it to display a message when you first turn it on. I think FJ Cruiser normally is displayed. I am not sure how much power it puts out compared to the stock 80 radio, but the sound system in the FJC is infinitely better than the one in my 80.

Mine should be here by Friday, i'll post some pics in my build thread of it installed.

Just completed adding the FJammer to my 80. I think it looks great, and I found a dremmel rotary saw bit cut through the radio bezel like butter. I picked up the Toyota iPod (30 pin kit) off Amazon for $24. This has the 30 pin adapter and a headphone jack style line in. The 30-pin iPhone adapter does not have much utility, but for another $14 shipped you can add a Mpow Bluetooth 30-pin adapter. So this plugs into the iPod jack and becomes a bluetooth connection, so you can hide the connector in the dash and stream wireless.

Great upgrade, picked up the Fjammer for $30, plus another ~$40 for the adapters, that is around $70 for a pretty much plug-n-play, stock style, bluetooth and line-in stereo.

You can tap in to the rear PS door speaker and run a signal wire to One of these "PAC SNI-35 Variable line out converter."..... If I'm answering the right question.

Just completed adding the FJammer to my 80. I think it looks great, and I found a dremmel rotary saw bit cut through the radio bezel like butter. I picked up the Toyota iPod (30 pin kit) off Amazon for $24. This has the 30 pin adapter and a headphone jack style line in. The 30-pin iPhone adapter does not have much utility, but for another $14 shipped you can add a Mpow Bluetooth 30-pin adapter. So this plugs into the iPod jack and becomes a bluetooth connection, so you can hide the connector in the dash and stream wireless.

Great upgrade, picked up the Fjammer for $30, plus another ~$40 for the adapters, that is around $70 for a pretty much plug-n-play, stock style, bluetooth and line-in stereo.

Do you have a link for the Bluetooth Toyota adapter?

Thanks

Do you have a link for the Bluetooth Toyota adapter?

Thanks

Here is the iPod Adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFS68M4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the Bluetooth Adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094G44PS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to hide the bluetooth adapter under the ash tray, so it can be easily accessed. I have found that I get some periodic static, but overall I am very happy with the setup. It is possible with a higher quality iPod adapter the quality would be better, I just bought the cheap iPod adapter, there is a Toyota one available. Other than trimming out some of the radio surround, this whole thing is plug-and-play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom