Fj80-Swapping out icon stage 3 rear springs for heavies...but which ones? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doesn't seem to popular on here, but my TJM heavy's have been awesome with weight. 2,300lbs here.. 40k miles on the springs.

1624999304904.png

1624999329967.png

I can do that when i get home tonight. I also have 30mm spacers on all 4 corners as well.
Good info, so you essentially have a 5" lift from the sounds of it.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Quick update- I'm now running Icon stage 3 shocks front and rear, 3" Icon springs in front and Slinky heavies in the rear. The ride is noticeably better with the slinky springs. I tossed some 315x75r16 Duratracs on as well and everything fits....but barely. I've got about .25" of clearance between the rear tire and bumper at full articulation -so 35s definitely would not have worked with this particular tire unless it's just a pavement queen.
IMG_20210815_153858790_HDR.jpg

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Quick update- I'm now running Icon stage 3 shocks front and rear, 3" Icon springs in front and Slinky heavies in the rear. The ride is noticeably better with the slinky springs. I tossed some 315x75r16 Duratracs on as well and everything fits....but barely. I've got about .25" of clearance between the rear tire and bumper at full articulation -so 35s definitely would not have worked with this particular tire unless it's just a pavement queen. View attachment 2760548

congrats on your suspension upgrade. Could you please tell us the hub center to fender lip height dimensions for all four corners?

Cheers

congrats on your suspension upgrade. Could you please tell us the hub center to fender lip height dimensions for all four corners?

Cheers
23.5" on both fronts, 23.75" on both rears. (sans drawer system/fridge)

23.5" on both fronts, 23.75" on both rears. (sans drawer system/fridge)
those are good #s. Please update after you load up the rear before heading out for a trip.

those are good #s. Please update after you load up the rear before heading out for a trip.
will do. I'm heading to Ouray/telluride this weekend fully loaded. should be interesting to see

Awesome, you'll have a great time. There weren't any UTVs on the main road in Ouray and only a handful on the main road at Silverton when we were there last week.

I'm particularly interested in how much your rear end sags with camping gear.
will do. I'm heading to Ouray/telluride this weekend fully loaded. should be interesting to see

Awesome, you'll have a great time. There weren't any UTVs on the main road in Ouray and only a handful on the main road at Silverton when we were there last week.

I'm particularly interested in how much your rear end sags with camping gear.
Cool, hopefully we'll have the same luck. Yeah, I'm also curious about the sag. I almost went with the extra heavies given all the crap I have, but didnt want a super ridged ride when not fully loaded, since I'm not fully loaded as much as I am empty.

Cool, hopefully we'll have the same luck. Yeah, I'm also curious about the sag. I almost went with the extra heavies given all the crap I have, but didnt want a super ridged ride when not fully loaded, since I'm not fully loaded as much as I am empty.

Would you mind providing the link for your Slinky heavies please? I didn't want to google it and then assume things. Thx.

Would you mind providing the link for your Slinky heavies please? I didn't want to google it and then assume things. Thx.
Yeah, I actually called the official distributor directly, Mill Creek Overland, and ordered over the phone because they didnt list the springs individually outside of a kit on their site. They were amazingly helpful, had great service, and shipped right away:
millcreekoverland.com

here's another helpful thread I was lurking on prior to my decision: 80 series Slinky/ICON Long Travel Suspension officially coming to the U.S.A. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-slinky-icon-long-travel-suspension-officially-coming-to-the-u-s-a.918281/page-31

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom