FJ80 Rear Utility? Expo? you decide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.4plusproducts.com
After a half dozen "prototypes" we'll be putting this up on our site. Like our 60 series there is one
bumper with two arms. A tire arm and a second arm with a platform welded to it. The platform will
accept either the two can basket or the fold down ladder. Both have provisions for hilifts. the 80 incorporates built in quick hooks underneath, tucked way back for ropes or straps. the D-ring provisions are still there. Two LED reverse lights flush mounted as well as a LED pod light on a 360, up and down, swivel
with the switch mounted conveniently under the light just behind the tire. You can shine it in about any direction you need. Great for tailgate cooking. It will accept a 37. The pics here show it with 35 x 14.50 Swampers.
Ladder is the same as the 60 series. It locks up, down or flat to use as a table. Two mounts for Rotopax
mounts are located on the ladder. It will require removal of the crossmember and exhaust mods right at the bumper. Good news is the 80 crossmember is way less difficult to remove than the 60....no rivets, just some short welds in relatively thin material.
Mounting plates are 1/2" with d-rings incorporated. Arms are 2 1/2" x ,250 wall square, Tire upright is 2 1/2"
x.188 wall. Integrated frame member that supports the rear of the reciever is 2 1/2" x .188 square.
Bumper shell , baskets are all 3/16. Lockout plates are 3/8 stainless. The ladder is 1 1/2 x .120 wall with .095 wall steps and a galvanized treadplate also left unpowdered. The lockouts and treadplate are left bare because we find that
lockout pins and shoes will play havoc with the powder or paint. Rust usually follows
The bumper is heavy but it should out last the truck. We'll intro the ladder version complete at 2595.00
That price will hold through the year. The basket version is 300.00 less.

Link to images....faster than clogging up MUD with a bunch of photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f4vQvq4AFJxip0T23

Here's a link to the construction of the channel

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y7w89CB0XzWe05Ej1

IMG_7612.JPG

My jig truck isn't the prettiest. Haven't had time to bring in a supermodel 80. Nice 80's are hard to find here. People keeo them until they get close to 300,000 miles then sell them for 8000.00. Not sure how much life is in a 300,000 mile 80. Mine last one started needing regular service at 150,000.

Nice work Dave! Interesting swing arm lock. I've always liked the drop down on your ladders. you need to post a full size pic of the truck from the rear at an angle . these pics don't do justice. Its a nice looking bumper and well built.

cheers

Rich
I'm sure you've figured out, the newer the truck , the more hurdles. Makes me wish the 40 never died for both my sake and the customer.
There's no getting around higher and higher costs to build parts for the new stuff. I saw the beautiful job you did on the Sequoia . Very careful body trimming made that look like a factory fit. So how do you sell that?. We all remember the kids that couldn't color between the lines.
My brain is full of images of body trimming gone bad. The owners of the newest vehicles may have to settle on full custom for all their accessories or just be OK with modest fitments. I see 5000.00 bumpers being the new norm

Man, that's a nice bumper.

Any thoughts on one like that with side wings for a 62?

Looking up location of Miami Az!

@Cruiserdrew
You'd think I would since I drive a 60. I've found that a lot of 60 owners that want to wheel where side protection is needed
also trim their 1/4 panels. I did a lot of 60 rear with side protection in the late 90s and early 2000s. When I started building for Man-a-Fre
they were turned off by the extra weight and space. Customers didn't like the shipping costs. Shipping has killed more than one product
of mine. I could probably redesign for side protection now since the shipping costs are only one way rather than from here to Cal then Cal to a customer. Believe me, I've looked at it quite a few times.
I hate the body to frame relationship back there. If I had my way everyone would trim that sheet metal up. It's almost as useless as the factory rockers on a 55. I already know how I'd do it to keep loss of clearance to 1/2". The pain is redesigning the wings again so everything flows and is repeatable knowing someone else is doing my braking. I had dreams of a brake here so I could control that aspect better but the 49,000.00
I spent on it disappeared with the crooks that took it and ran. Mine and the money for a few dozen other brakes and shears. By the time the
courts seized their accounts all but 174.00 of 3.5 million was gone. That was '08. The following five years weren't the best orchestrating a financial comeback.
I'm 59 this year. Employees with these skills and a good work ethic are nearly impossible to find. The couple I've trained that are at that level now have their own shops. Minimum wages are being legislated to a level where the only fair wage for a truly talented fab guy is 30 to 40 an hour. That means shop rates will have to be in the 120 range, higher in high rent districts. AZ will be at 12.50 in two years. That and food stamps means you can live like a 20.00 an hour guy and do the bare minimum. I'm not sure I can blame the kids for taking a crappy job at a convenience store where they can just hang out tweeting selfies to their friends all night and getting paid.
Sucks being old school today

I didn't see this 80 bumper on your website. can you PM a quote with tire carrier and ladder as shown in Picture? im in California, 94086.
Thanks!

I have a 1996 FJ80 that I'm looking to put a rear bumper with a tire carrier. Are you still making the bumper above with the ladder? I only see rock sliders for FJ80's on your website. I'm in Utah. Thanks

Also interested. In NM so could also pick up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom