FJ80 or FJ60 steering box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another member here thot that the hardcore section be the forum for best addressing my questions, so here it is.....

I am installing power steering into my 87 Samurai. Due to the complexity of also having a vw TD engine and the corresponding 26" rad to cool it, I need a powersteering box that has the pitman arm pointing forward, and it needs to mount to the outside of the frame rail.

I know others have used an FJ box for their samurai builds........ I already have a Toy IFS box and it will not work for the rad fitment issue.

Anyway, can you please tell me what advantages / disadvantages there are between the fj80 and the fj60 or 62 boxes?

I understand that they both have the pitman arm pointing forward, that the mounting bolt patternsare different, and that the splines are the same between the two. I have also read that the sector shaft is larger in the 80 box. Not sure if that really matters for my zuk with 33" tires.

I will have to plate, drill and sleeve the frame holes for either box.

If either box is physically smaller, as in shorter and having a smaller diameter of the housing, that interests me, as a smaller size will help me with the fitting of the 26" vw rad that will extend over both frame rails.

Thanks for your thoughts.

S

THe 60 and 62 boxes are the same. But, there are 2 different mounting patterns-smaller, 84 and down, larger 85-90.

The 80 series boxes are larger in diameter, have more power assist and share the mounting bolt pattern of the late FJ60/62.

The 80 pittman arm fits on the splines of all the boxes, and is stronger. It also has less drop.

The sector shaft is the same size on all, but you can order the upgraded sector shaft from Toyota for the 80 series boxes (but also requires a different Pittman arm.

Sounds like you want an FJ60 box with an 80 series Pittman.

Thank you Drew for the great info. That was just what I was looking for.
If the 60 box is smaller in diameter, it will prolly be the better choice for my application.
I *think* I need a 3/4" drop pitman arm, but wont know for sure until I get the box mounted to the frame rail.

Cruiserdrew, that is a great explanation!
All the information in one place.
That should be put in FAQs!

Allen
THe 60 and 62 boxes are the same. But, there are 2 different mounting patterns-smaller, 84 and down, larger 85-90.

The 80 series boxes are larger in diameter, have more power assist and share the mounting bolt pattern of the late FJ60/62.

The 80 pittman arm fits on the splines of all the boxes, and is stronger. It also has less drop.

The sector shaft is the same size on all, but you can order the upgraded sector shaft from Toyota for the 80 series boxes (but also requires a different Pittman arm.

Sounds like you want an FJ60 box with an 80 series Pittman.

Exception,
The 60 series box won't accept the 105 series sector shaft. So the 80 Series box can be built up stronger than the 60 series box.

The 80 series steering box is not that much bigger than the 60 box.

Exception,

The 80 series steering box is not that much bigger than the 60 box.

Th 60 box is 3 inches in diameter and the 80 box is 3.5. Since the wall of the box is likely about the same thickness, the 80 power piston is likely 2.5 vs 2 inches. That's 25% bigger. It makes sense, it's being asked to steer a bigger and heavier truck.

Absolutely, the extra oomph and upgrade-ability would give it the nod from me.

That being said, I doubt a 60 series box would have any issues in a Sammy.. Hell I have never heard of one breaking the sector shaft while in a 60..

Hey Spoke, what did you ever choose on this?
I was looking to outboard my steering with an FJ60 manual steering gearbox, but now having second thoughts considering how rocky some of the trails in west virginia are, as well as when I drive out to Colorado to visit my friends in the mountains...

Hey Spoke, what did you ever choose on this?
I was looking to outboard my steering with an FJ60 manual steering gearbox, but now having second thoughts considering how rocky some of the trails in west virginia are, as well as when I drive out to Colorado to visit my friends in the mountains...

I personally wouldn’t use the 60 box. I would use the 80 with 105 upgrades. However if you need to play with pitman arms you want to stick with the 80 sector shaft. Reason being, Sky Manufacturing makes several different drop pitman arms that bolt right on a 60/80 box.

Just to complicate things more, 70 series box throw backwards. In a custom application this may work out better.

Cheers

A 60 box is fine if you're using a ram assist as well. The 80 box has more assist by itself. I'm running an 80 box with 105 upgrades without ram assist and it's nice.

Does anyone know where to find a steering box for an 80 series? I'm trying to upgrade my 60. I've scoured the net trying to find one. The only 2 I found are from RockAuto ($540 w/ core) and some scam from cruiser parts.net. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know where to find a steering box for an 80 series? I'm trying to upgrade my 60. I've scoured the net trying to find one. The only 2 I found are from RockAuto ($540 w/ core) and some scam from cruiser parts.net. Thanks in advance.

@Mike Shull thank you sir! I've hit both of them up already. hope to hear back.

Here is another one in Illinois that you may have come across. I keep an eye open for no particular good reason. The second add above has been posted for a number of years. Good luck with the search, @SakeBom !

can anyone tell me what's going on with this box?
looks like 62/80 box with ifs mini guts?

Screenshot_20231116-092322_Chrome.jpg

mini ifs box, that's a horrible setup.

I see that now. I suspect it's like you described. Weird, Sag boxes can be similarly equipped. Guts are interchangeable (sort of)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom