Fj80 newbie with questions

I recently procured an FJ80 (w/out lockers) with 210k from a guy who had put about 4k into the engine a week before. I have the list of work and it looks like it boils down to a new tranny and a little more.
I picked it up for 3800 in hopes of having a nice 4 wheeling vehicle/heavy car camping vehicle. My vision is to have a couple inches of lift and clean it up a bit. However, I live in CO and cannot get this thing to pass emissions. I was told buy a guy who is supposed to know that if it isn't passing emissions there is most likely something serious going on and I should get out of it and forget putting anything into it.
Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.
thanks

Why did you fail emissions? I'm assuming they gave you a print out or something...

Do you have a check engine light on? Most emissions failures that I've seen have had to do with EGR codes.

Exact year of your truck will help too.

It's kind of odd to have new tranny put in these. They have a pretty low failure rate. There are many knowledgeable 80 guys in Colorado. I'd ask/pay one of them to thoroughly check it out for you. Probably start a new thread asking for the smartest Land Cruiser person in Colorado. You should get many responses. Something seems a bit suspicious. Oh yeah welcome to mud :flipoff2: (mud salute)

The results of your emissions tests (the actual values of HC, NOx, etc) would be helpful, as well as your location within Colorado.

My 93 passed a few weeks ago with emissions levels that were between 30 & 50% of allowable limits. Just because it's old, doesn't mean they can't run great & pass.

Thanks for all the help! My cruiser is a 94 and the only part of the admissions test it failed was the CO (by 4 points the first time and 6 the second). It actually failed worse the second time after useing a fuel additive I was recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom