Fj80 newbie with questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently procured an FJ80 (w/out lockers) with 210k from a guy who had put about 4k into the engine a week before. I have the list of work and it looks like it boils down to a new tranny and a little more.
I picked it up for 3800 in hopes of having a nice 4 wheeling vehicle/heavy car camping vehicle. My vision is to have a couple inches of lift and clean it up a bit. However, I live in CO and cannot get this thing to pass emissions. I was told buy a guy who is supposed to know that if it isn't passing emissions there is most likely something serious going on and I should get out of it and forget putting anything into it.
Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.
thanks

Why did you fail emissions? I'm assuming they gave you a print out or something...

Do you have a check engine light on? Most emissions failures that I've seen have had to do with EGR codes.

Exact year of your truck will help too.

was the smog pump removed? $4k into the engine and its still messed up? What did he do to it?

It's kind of odd to have new tranny put in these. They have a pretty low failure rate. There are many knowledgeable 80 guys in Colorado. I'd ask/pay one of them to thoroughly check it out for you. Probably start a new thread asking for the smartest Land Cruiser person in Colorado. You should get many responses. Something seems a bit suspicious. Oh yeah welcome to mud :flipoff2: (mud salute)

The results of your emissions tests (the actual values of HC, NOx, etc) would be helpful, as well as your location within Colorado.

My 93 passed a few weeks ago with emissions levels that were between 30 & 50% of allowable limits. Just because it's old, doesn't mean they can't run great & pass.

Thanks for all the help! My cruiser is a 94 and the only part of the admissions test it failed was the CO (by 4 points the first time and 6 the second). It actually failed worse the second time after useing a fuel additive I was recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom