fj80 diesel conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
270k on my 91 and it still runs well, but I need more power/better mileage. :-\

anyone here done a diesel swap? can it be done without a lift?
I'm considering a chevy 6.2, or 6.5 ltr turbo probably with gm auto trans.
cummings would be way better :p but I haven't heard of it being done.
I need to redo most of my driveline anyway (270k miles); would aftermarket parts hold up to the torq of these engines? what about the transfer case and auto trans? any idea of the mileage/durability I mite expect out of these combo's?
Any other info on these swaps would be aprieciated.

one more thing, anyone have expiriance with Man-a-Free's performance 3fe rebuild?
how much horsepower/torque does it make?

thankz

you have to swap a diesel into an 80????

There was a big diesel swap article in Toyota Trails early this summer, check www.tlca.org. Specter Off Road typically has a few Toyota diesels kicking around, they are expensive but would be an easier intstall. A 5.9L Cummins backed by a NV4500 5-speed in a FJ80 would be so cool, you could probably still use the stock t-case with the right adapters (try Advanced Adapters). I'd try to find a wrecked Dodge diesel and buy the whole thing, probably a bit cheaper that way. Let us know what you decide to do.

thanks for the info, but I think a toyo diesel is not an option for me. I reposted this question on the 80's tech board and have been disscusing the conversion there. The 5.9 would be my ideal choice for an engine, but unfortuantly it won't fit without major lift (5in). My reasoning for the conversion is for increased towing capacity and better fuel mileage- lifting a truck that high defeats both.
I asked if that conversion could be done by modifing the firewall but didn't recive any responce- stupid question probably.

still looking into everything for now...

[quote author=91fj80 link=board=12;threadid=6414;start=msg55249#msg55249 date=1067060837]
thanks for the info, but I think a toyo diesel is not an option for me. [/quote]

Don't mean to be an ass by assuming, but is a Toyota diesel not for you because of how much they cost from $OR? You should try http://www.gscruiserparts.com/. They seem to have better prices and they are super nice guys to boot! You should check 'em out.

-Ferg-

Good link for toyo diesels; they are cheaper then I thought.
but for price, power, and parts availibility- GM seams to be the way to go.

how about factoring the cost of buying a new GM diesel every 3 years, toyota diesels run (with a little tlc) for waaaaaaaaaayyyy longer

A 3L(Hilux 2.8 Diesel) is about $4,500 from Toyota. :cheers: A Commodore 3.8 V6(Americans would know this Engine from a Front Wheel Drive Buick in the early 1980's :banana:) is about $3,500 + Plus all the Conversion bits and pieces. A whole new 3B Head is about $1,500. :flipoff2:
I guess the biggest cost for a Toyota Diesel rebuild is of the Injector Pump. :'(

From My expiriance a GM diesel driven and maintained properly will run upwards of 14 years and easily exceed 200k without major work. Fule pumps are usually the only problums you have with them.

I owned a 85 k5 blazer with the 6.2 and it blew @ 375k miles after towing well over the rated weight 1k miles through the desert. It was difficult to start, had 3fe like acceleration- but it could tow anything and got great miliage.
A friend of mine has a 95 k2500 with the 6.5 td 156k we've towed cross country several times. great rig, amazing power, decent miliage- can hardly feel the 3.5k lbs trailer.

I'm in the US; and have been told it could be difficult and expensive to obtain parts for a toyo diesel. They were not imported here. It would also be hard to find a qualified mechanic. toyo diesel is no 3fe.
The 3.8 mid 80s buick engine's in the US were awful- had one catch on fire and melt at 93k miles- despite proper care and maintaince. I don't know if its the same as the earlier one your talking about.

I should mention I live in a mild climate NC USA. Engine friendly weather & no salt. The 6.2 in my blazer also had a prelube system and ran sythetic oil only.

[quote author=91fj80 link=board=12;threadid=6414;start=msg56351#msg56351 date=1067398151]

I'm in the US; and have been told it could be difficult and expensive to obtain parts for a toyo diesel. They were not imported here. It would also be hard to find a qualified mechanic. toyo diesel is no 3fe.
The 3.8 mid 80s buick engine's in the US were awful- had one catch on fire and melt at 93k miles- despite proper care and maintaince. I don't know if its the same as the earlier one your talking about.

[/quote]

If you went with a 1HZ, parts shouldn't be to difficult to come by because of the Canadian mine trucks. Granted the 1HZ doesn't have the hp of the turboed versions, but their are aftermarket turbos available. Or you could get a turbo from a 1HD-T.

i think if you were to call up and chat with the fellas at gscruiser you would be pretty blown away with the torq they overall performance that they get out of those 1fz when they open up the wasted gate and get your turbo set up. just my .02$

I bought a 1987 HJ60 from a guy that had imported it in from Canada, so I didnt have to deal with it. The engine needed a rebuild, so I talked to my Canuck friends at GS cruisers and bought a 1994 1HZ with an H55 and tcase from them. The engine tested out to +600 psi for each cylinder. She had less then 125,000 klms on her. That's 74,000 miles. Now Im having the timing belt, water pump, pilot bearing, clutch and throwout bearing replaced so that I know where I will be starting at. I'm also buying a turbo kit from Australia. DTS turbo charging.

http://www.dynamicturbo.com.au/default.asp?p=111

If you plug in an intercooler (and I am) that engine will produce 317 ft pounds of troque! If you then propane inject it (and I am) you should get over 350 ft pounds of troque. That and the propane lowers engine tempuratures.

That is enough torque to pull whatever most people want to pull. It certainly is enough to pull my long wheelbase suzuki samurai around to 4x4 events.

Tom B

???

HJ60 Guy, do you know if the H55 that's behind the 1HZ has the same input shaft as the H55 behind your old 2H? IOW, are the 1HZ and 2H direct swaps? Bellhousings? I actually emailed GS cruisers this question but haven't gotten a response, yet...

'ppreciate it :cheers:

HZ has a slightly longer input than a 2H/FJ.
HZ input has 21 splines, 2H/FJ has 10
bellhousings 2H/FJ (which are different) have starter on right side of engine
HZ has on left side of engine.

FYI, HJ trannies new from ENS in canada are $4,100 CDN
HZ trannies are $6,000

HJ tranny + $270 HZ input + time = HZ tranny + HJ/FJ 10 spline new input
- go figure.

Ole Ricky got it right. I sold my 2H to a guy up there in BC, and then sold my rebuilt H55 and t-case to a guy down here in Seattle. The sale of all that paid for the 1HZ, tranny, t-case combo. Turned out to be a good deal.

TB

Makes sense. I hope to replace my 3FE/H55 with a 1HD or 1HZ in the mid future. Approx. how much is a low mile 1HD-T or FT/bellhousing/input ?

What auxillary components (alt, starter, etc..) would need to be included in the swap?

Man, first worry about that 1HD-T. They are BIG BUCKS! The 1HZ isnt so bad. I would have gone with the HDT but it was almost twice the price.

I dont know about the auxiliary parts costs.

Talk to Sheldon at:

http://gscruiserparts.com/parts.html

He can help you.

TB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom