fj80 diesel conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1HD-T have bearing issues that toyota deals with on a "case by case" stance. so if they let go for you in the us, you'd be snookered i would say.

Before I putt in my 1HZ I'm having the big end bearings REPLACED!

I would suggest that anyone who gets a 1HDT to do the same thing.

It is a relatively easy replacement.

TB :beer: :doh:

The GM 6.5TD from the factory puts out 515ft-lbs and 215hp.
they can be modified (not that I would) to over a 1000ft-lbs and 550hp.
I had the pleasure of test driving a typoon once- ever heard of those?
awsome truck, increadable power, very enjoyable. I'd love to have that kind of power in my cruizer.

"The GM 6.5TD from the factory puts out 515ft-lbs and 215hp"

If that were true why would GM have had to come out with the Duramax?

Ive never heard of those kindof numbers from an INdirect injected 6.5.

Where are you getting your info.?

TB

you should go with a cummins 6bt there just a far supieror motor than anything thing else. im currently saving to put a 4bt in my fj40 which comes with an adapter to the GM bellhousing then Im ging to run a Ranger torque splitter to the stock tranny hopefully with no driveline modifications since the 4bt is so short it can be put way forward in the engine compartment.

How easy is it to FIND those 4bt's?

TB

Not sure exactly where I got either figure on the 6.5. I may be off on the HP figure- fairly certain of the torque though. My 85 6.2 made 160/415. I would be amazed if the 6.5 had much less then 100 extra ft lbs- judging solely by towing performance though.

This page has figures on both engines but I'm not sure how to convert these numbers to hp & ft-lbs....
http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/dtlc/comparecummins.html

GM made a new engine cause it was the only way to keep up with the 'jones'. Ford and dodge have a better reputation, at least in this area.

The engine I'm refering to IS direct injected; at least I think it is. Was the durimax out in 1994? I've heard that the newer engines should be avoided due to worse fule pump problums; <30k life> I also want to avoid anything with complex computer controls, or any high wear/short life parts.

about the 6bt- you have to lift the truck 5in- havn't heard of any alturnatives... I couldn't deal with the road handling with that much lift.
http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/dtlc/6bt.html

CHEVY 6.5 V8 6500 DIESEL 120@3400 394@1700
CHEVY 6.5 V8 6500 DIESEL TURBO 140@3400 515@1700

Here is your conversion:

120Kw equals 160Hp
140Kw equals 187Hp

394Nm equals 290ft pnds torque
515Nm equals 379ft pnds torque

There you have it.

TB

FJ80 Diesel swap...

270k on my 91 and it still runs well, but I need more power/better mileage. :-\
anyone here done a diesel swap? can it be done without a lift?

Bump to an old thread from '03...

I have almost exactly the same interest as the author of this original post.

I too have a '91 FJ80 with the 3F-E straight six. This engine in this vehicle has the distinction of being both gutless and a gas hog. It does have longevity to recommend it, I've got 285k on the original build engine and transmission, but heck I am beginning to wish it would die so I would have to replace it with something better suited.

I was talking to a guy tonight who knows of somebody named Ray Rose in Utah that swapped a Cummins 6at into an FJ80, apparently turned out fantastic and he loved it. It may now be owned by Brian Steen in Wyoming? He told me that this engine fits a GM transmission housing, for which there are readily available adapters to the Toyota transmission.

Anything new out there since this thread? Especially anyone in the pacific northwest? Portland or Seattle maybe?

Sure would like to do this to my cruiser.

What do you guys think a Cruiser needs for adequate passing and highway grade climbing? Would 250hp be enough? Anyone know what the stock 3F-E is rated for, hp wise? I would love to see a dyno chart on the FJ80 with that 3F-E in it. It would be real interesting to see where they hide that torque. Hell it will pull a stump, or darn near climb a tree, but driving a highway through a mountain pass, or passing someone on a winding two lane highway in the country is depressing. And 11 mpg is pretty tough these days.

Thanks!

The 5.9 would be my ideal choice for an engine, but unfortuantly it won't fit without major lift (5in).
WHY won't it fit without 5" of lift? I assume oil pan issues? Fab one up that clears... or am I missing something.

I dont think you need 5" of lift, But a body lift would help with the air intake, It arc's up and will hit the hood , But nothing that a die grinder couldent fix. it would also help to have a bit stiffer shocks, the engine will run about 300-500 pounds heaver than the stock I-6. But you would add that much weight with twin batteries, a bull bar up front and a winch on top of that.

I have a 6.2 in a FJ60 and the GM emission decal on the intake has 135@3600 rpm 87 "J" engine. I believe it is an ideal swap for a FJ60, good mileage and passing power even in O/D. there are alot of writeups on this type of setup on here.
Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom