Builds FJ80 2UZFE Tundra V8 Conversion pics and build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.maxx-racing.com
FJ-80 Tundra V8 (2UZFE) Conversion Build/Pics

Okay so I was able to find my disc with my pics on it of the 80 from day 1, so here is what I am doing and some pics to show it in the various stages as well as some of the costs incurred to do this swap.

no this isnt a bolt in type swap as well as no one makes a kit.

I picked this 1992 FJ80 up for 600 dollars with a bad engine and some minor vandalism (stereo, broken slider rear window) and the 80 needed and engine (bad head, mechanic who worked on it LOST alot of the parts) so the engine was missing many of the parts I would need to get it back to its "peppy" 3FE state;) so my next hurdle was what engine would I be able to pick up cheap and not be a copy cat (IE chevy 350...I know it is an excellent swap) so after searching I was able to score a 2002 Tundra engine (13000 miles), tranny, complete wiring harness, computer, and acceseries for $1700.

So my next hurdle was what transfer case to use, I considered advance adapters new case for the cruisers the Orion (offset drivelines) as well as the land rover LT230 (offset drivelines as well) after I found out the high range reduction of 1.2 to one I was sold on using the rover case (avaiable 1.4 to high range) another bonus of the rover case is selectable 2,4WD and available 4.1 low range ratios. this case is more than stout enough to handle the HP/torque of a V8 and offroad abuse (they are proven units) and very readily available.

Here are some pics of the Land Cruiser the day I brought it home, I will add them in order of progress (currently I have the Tundra engine hanging in the engine compartment of the 80, as well as the machinist is finishing up the adapter to mate the Tundra A343 tranny (95-97 FZJ tranny?) to the LT230 transfer case, and I am sorting out the miles of wiring harness to adapt the 2 together)

Most of the pics up till the engine hanging in the bay of the 80 will be posted within the next 2-3 days, I will label with arrows if I can what clearance issues I have encountered as well as pics of the new motor mounts I had to fab up to sqeeze the engine into the frame (Tundras have wider frames and the motor mounts were way to wide)
HPIM0038.5.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool, keep up the progress pictures.

Jack

Very interesting, indeed. I've been wanting to see a Toyota V8 in an 80.

here is another shot , I got a little ahead of myself and painted before setting engine (you will see in later shots why this is a bad thing!:doh: ) as well as I have come up with a few other paint jobs I will be cosidering other than yellow solid.

Engine pics in engine bay to come later tonight

when the time comes I will start another thread on paint jobs, its going to be a simple and timeless paint job- maybe two tone stopping/starting at the body line above the door handles
HPIM0051.5.jpg

loading pics of engine bay and engine in between frame rails.

locating it inbetween the frame and making sure of the clearance on the AC compresser and stering box (custom hoses tweaked to fit around steering box, will have to be TIG welded -aluminum-).
I will need to relocate the oil filter on the V8 it will be too close to the frame rail on drivers side to be able to remove as you spin it off.

the steering box and AC compressor are to close for comfort so I will space the steering box over towards the drivers side with a half inch plate(welded to the outside of frame) and longer bolts.

side shot, it has plenty of room to go back about 6-8 inches, I see my other FZJ80s engine (1FZFE) sits out front of the axle (havent measured yet) by 4-5 inches and this will set the weight back a bit if I snug the V8 back as far as I am able to. has anyone used race car scales to weigh their 80 @ all 4 wheels? anyone have the front or rear weight at the wheels?
100_0574.5.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't mind my asking, how hard was the t-case adapter to make, and how much did it cost you?

Had a machinist draw up and manufacter the adapter(he is a teacher at a CAD/CAM design school so class assignment was to mate these two;) , design and machine), he is a toyota guy too- I am doing a FJ40 with the same adapter and V8 as soon as I can find a clean engineless 40.

It looks like it belongs there, doesnt it?!:rolleyes: ;)

The radiator from the fj80 will line up with the radiator hoses from the Tundra V8 or vice versa so no need to fabricate a mount for a different radiator (cooling should be fine, they have about the same SQ. inches of cooling area between the radiators)

So horsepower should go from 155 from the 3FE to 245 from the Tundra V8 4.7 and torque from 220 to 315, that should wake this up a little bit

So I will be gaining about 90 hp and 95 FT LBs pounds of torque- along with some exhaust mods and some TRD Perfomance parts I am hoping to see about 300- 320 HP and about 375 FT LBS torque.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the wiring. You are a brave man.

Two questions.

1. Does the 80 have factory lockers? If not, are you going to install them?

2. Why yellow on the firewall of a red truck? Are you a closet fireman? Do we have a flame job to look forward to?

Regardless, this will be a fastenating build. I'm sure there will me more of us doing them.

Good luck, and keep them pics coming.

DTaylor

wonderful

I have a plan of swapping a LS400 Engine into an FJ80 cruiser.........

What do you think about A440F behind V8......... 1uzfe ? will the tranny handle the power incerase? how about the torque converter?

Wow, great buildup going on here. I look forward to more pictures and the finished product!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom