FJ62 tcase shifting - verification wanted (1 Viewer)

Spook50

Resident psychopath, apparently
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
5,920
Location
Spokane, WA
 
 
 
Okay so I was fishing around for info on the "poor man's" vacuum solenoid replacement for the FJ62's 4WD solenoids (my solenoid for disengaging 4WD went out completely), and I saw a post on Pirate that mentioned that an electrical switch in the tcase that activates the "engage" solenoid to shift it into 4WD when you use the manual shifter to put it into 4lo. Is this true? It makes sense, given that IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong) the FJ60's tcase shifter's fore/aft is for Hi/Lo and the left/right is for 2WD/4WD.

I'm asking because if this is correct, I'd have to rethink converting from solenoids to a manual switch in the cab. Now if it works the way I'm thinking, then a side effect of installing the manual switch would mean you'd have to remember to activate 4WD with that when you used the shifter to shift into low range. Basically this would give you the 2Lo option too if you left the switch in 2WD and shifted to low range with the shifter...

:idea:
 

Waggoner5

SILVER Star
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
3,048
Location
San Clemente, CA
 
 
 
The 62 uses 2 electric solonoids to route vacuum to a diaphram on the tcase to switch from 2wd to 4wd depending on switch position. The shift lever is forward backward only shifting from high to low. Shifting to low will also engage the 4wd solonoid.
 

Spook50

Resident psychopath, apparently
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
5,920
Location
Spokane, WA
 
 
 
Waggoner5 said:
The 62 uses 2 electric solonoids to route vacuum to a diaphram on the tcase to switch from 2wd to 4wd depending on switch position. The shift lever is forward backward only shifting from high to low. Shifting to low will also engage the 4wd solonoid.
Bingo, that's exactly what I was wanting to make sure of. I know of the solenoids, and if I can find a simple 1in/2out mechanical valve, the solenoids are going. I figure this will tide me over until I can get an FJ60 tcase and can fab up a twin stick system :D

Now I just need to find a valve I can mount in the cabin to select which line vacuum is applied to...
 
Last edited:

Waggoner5

SILVER Star
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
3,048
Location
San Clemente, CA
 
 
 
You can get the factory type solonoids a variety of ways. First, there are many 62s being parted out all over the country, second, Toyota uses vacuum switches everywhere. Do a search for them.
 

Spook50

Resident psychopath, apparently
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
5,920
Location
Spokane, WA
 
 
 
Waggoner5 said:
You can get the factory type solonoids a variety of ways. First, there are many 62s being parted out all over the country, second, Toyota uses vacuum switches everywhere. Do a search for them.
That was my original plan was to get a idle up solenoid from a Toyota car, but before doing that, I want to experiment with my manual valve idea.
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
1,529
Location
Claremont, CA
 
 
 
Manual Valve

I'm guessing that the 2 solenoids (3-way valves) were used instead on one 5 port 4-way valve. MAC valves makes a lever operated (MANUALLY OPERATED) 5 port 4-way valve if I recall correctly. Probably their 800 series but can't be sure. Connect vacuum to the "P" port. The "A" abd "B" port would get connected to the diaphragm actuator on the t-case (I'm assuming the t-case uses vacuum on both sides of the diaphragh to move the internal shift fork). The "EA" and "EB" ports on the MAC valve would be left open to atmosphere but should have some sort of muffler/filter to keep dirt out.


Don
 
Last edited:

kkt

Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
645
Location
ATL. GA.
 
 
 
4wh drive selonoid fix

go to yahoo groups
3fe group
go to files
go to lessons learned & fix tips
go to vaccum selonoid
go to fix for vaccum selonoid transfer switch.doc
this is for the mac valve fix which i found on the old landcruiser archive list. I have done this and have showed it to many folks who have done it also.
 

Spook50

Resident psychopath, apparently
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
5,920
Location
Spokane, WA
 
 
 
kkt said:
go to yahoo groups
3fe group
go to files
go to lessons learned & fix tips
go to vaccum selonoid
go to fix for vaccum selonoid transfer switch.doc
this is for the mac valve fix which i found on the old landcruiser archive list. I have done this and have showed it to many folks who have done it also.
Haven't been a member for quite some time. Even if I could still get in, I can't remember my password :doh:

Any chance you could email it to me?

EDIT: I saw something similar on Birfield.com also using MAC valves. Is there another solution that uses mechanical valves instead of electric? That's what I'm trying to do by not using Toyota solenoids. What I'm hoping to do is have a manually actuated valve mounted in the cab, with the one vacuum line coming from the engine and the two from the tcase routed to the valve inside the cab. This eliminate use of an electrical part, allows for use of 2lo with our cases, and adds just another cool little customization :D
 
Last edited:

Spook50

Resident psychopath, apparently
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
5,920
Location
Spokane, WA
 
 
 
DaveWest5150 said:
why would you need a fj60 cse to fab up a twin stick? is your case no good?
it doesnt take much to covert your case to manual.
I figure it'd be easier to change out the whole case instead of splitting it and rebuilding it all again just to lose the vacuum shifting mechanism (IIRC that's the only way to do it on a 62 case. If there's an easier way, I'd love to hear it). If there's an easy way to lose the vacuum shifting mechanism and make it manual, I'd be all over there. I just like the feeling of reaching for a shifter instead of pushing a button. Makes it feel like a more real experience :D
 
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Messages
284
Location
Kyunggi, South Korea
Swapping to manual shift mechanism is not difficult.
But if you want to swap to manual shift mechanism, you must disassemble t-case and change some parts inside of t-case.(front engage shaft, etc.)

Oh, Min Seok
 

Spook50

Resident psychopath, apparently
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
5,920
Location
Spokane, WA
 
 
 
schaats said:
Swapping to manual shift mechanism is not difficult.
But if you want to swap to manual shift mechanism, you must disassemble t-case and change some parts inside of t-case.(front engage shaft, etc.)

Oh, Min Seok
That's what I had originally thought. In which case, I doubt I'd be able to get JUST the parts I'd need for the conversion. That's why I figured I'd be better off just getting a good tcase off an FJ60.
 
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
3,537
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
 
 
 
I am not too familiar with this since I don't have a 62 but might in future. Why would anything need to be changed in the t-case to put in a mechanical valve on the vacuum lines. The two lines going to the t-case seems like one would be the vent. So the solenoid gets power and the valve opens sending pressure to the actuator and it the same time the vent line closes a valve. There also might be vacuum in both lines and also both vent to outside.

I see having to open it up if you want to use a manual shift to actually shift the TC. But sounds like you want a manually vacuum asisited setup.
 
Last edited:

Spook50

Resident psychopath, apparently
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
5,920
Location
Spokane, WA
 
 
 
NocalFJ60 said:
I am not too familiar with this since I don't have a 62 but might in future. Why would anything need to be changed in the t-case to put in a mechanical valve on the vacuum lines. The two lines going to the t-case seems like one would be the vent. So the solenoid gets power and the valve opens sending pressure to the actuator and it the same time the vent line closes a valve. There also might be vacuum in both lines and also both vent to outside.

I see having to open it up if you want to use a manual shift to actually shift the TC. But sounds like you want a manually vacuum asisited setup.
If you want to retain the vacuum shifting, then no you would've have to open up the case. For now, that's what I'm doing, is trying to devise a system that would eliminate the solenoids, and replace them with a manually controlled valve.

Now to convert the case to a completely manual shifting between 2WD and 4WD (ie: no vacuum system at all), which I want to do when I have more time and money for parts needed (and a better idea of what exactly will need to be done), then you have to break into the case and swap out the vacuum shifting mechanism with the necessary parts to allow for manual shifting, and then fab up a shifter for it, making it a twin stick system.
 
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
228
 
I have the same problem with mine. I went to the wreckers and got a vacuum switch from a heater control panel. I have to run the vacuum lines into the dash and connect them to the switch.

Would like to make it a manual shift someday.
 

Spook50

Resident psychopath, apparently
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
5,920
Location
Spokane, WA
 
 
 
FJota said:
I have the same problem with mine. I went to the wreckers and got a vacuum switch from a heater control panel. I have to run the vacuum lines into the dash and connect them to the switch.

Would like to make it a manual shift someday.
Do you remember what vehicle you got it out of? I'm still keeping my options open on what conversion I end up doing on my case :D
 

Spook50

Resident psychopath, apparently
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
5,920
Location
Spokane, WA
 
 
 
FJota said:
I got the switch out of a Hyundai excel.(late 90's). :idea:
Kickass, I'm gonna have to go see if I can find one now. You have any pics of how you set it up?
 
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
228
 
Sorry no pics yet. The switch does have more then two positions but they aren't needed. Very simple hookup. As you said vacuum in and then switched to engage or release.:)
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom