fj62 tachometer wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so ive searched a bunch and can’t find the answer for my fj62 tach. i can’t figure out what the three wires (black,black/yellow, and red all do). i know there are two other wires that power the light. one post for an 87 fj60 said that red was tach signal, black/yellow was 12V and black is ground. is that right and is it the same for the 62 tach? i cant make heads or tails of the wiring in the FSM. it’s not that clear.

i’m trying to hook up a dakota digital diesel to gas tachometer converter. i need to know what wire is tach signal so i can finally install this thing and see if it works!

Last edited:
i can now confirm that the black yellow is the power. i believe the red is the tach signal and the black is ground but haven’t got it working yet to be 100%. i still have to figure out why my source on the injection pump isn’t producing a signal

Stock 62 tach is calibrated for 3 pulses( 12 volt osquare wave) per revolution. On my wiring diagram it shows that Color BRB ( brown/Black) comes from the coil igniter as the tach signal. WB (white black) is the ground (-) . And BY(black yellow) is the switched hot(+). G(green) is illumination

Last edited:
Made some edits to the last post.

I’m not to sure about your particular Dakota box but I’ve had to use the high output lug to get the Toyota tach to register anything. You should only be concerned with the signal wire from the tach. The Dakota box should get its own 12/24v, ground, and source signal from your new motor.

yep my dakota has its own ground and power. just trying to figure out how to wire the dakota to back of the tach. and yes still trying to figure out the back of my injection pumps wiring as well. this will give the dakota the signal

Stock 62 tach is calibrated for 3 pulses( 12 volt osquare wave) per revolution. On my wiring diagram it shows that Color BRB ( brown/Black) comes from the coil igniter as the tach signal. WB (white black) is the ground (-) . And BY(black yellow) is the switched hot(+). G(green) is illumination

i don’t have those colours going into my tach. ill have to check tonight to see if that’s the colour codes in the harness upstream from the tach wires themselves. on the back of my tach there is a red, a black and a black with yellow stripe. this one has 12v when the ignition is on

just had time now....currently white black and red/green stripe are the light. there is a black wire with yellow dots upstream in the harness that connects to the red on the back of the tach (yes this is my stock harness). black/yellow stripe on the tach connects to a yellow wire in the upstream harness and the black on the tach connects to brown in the upstream harness.
503F950E-653D-495C-93ED-2C4631FAFD4D.jpeg
5BD41907-E354-447F-96B8-D328242EB276.jpeg

Last edited:
long time since i’ve added to this thread but i decided to give the stock fj62 tach a go again. i bought one of these this time…
4F9B7417-593E-4554-8D52-C02A2ABE10DE.jpeg

it was a bit more expensive than a new tach but i like the original look.

turns out that the red wire on the back of the tach is the signal input. it connects in the harness upstream to the black wire with gold dots. i spliced a new wire into the connector.
F3F94164-4067-4D97-996E-005BB69BDC4A.jpeg

then it connects to the module through the green wire. the two wires in the shielded case go to the tach sensor on the injection pump. red to ignition power and black to ground. pretty simple and it works!!
9CF798F7-5B59-47E6-A3AE-56AE8A2AD39D.jpeg

testing it out to make sure it worked…

then ran the wires properly
27E5C592-202B-44DA-9E9F-9FDFA99B759A.jpeg

except i forgot to run the power wire from an ignition source. i connected it right to the battery. probably doesn’t matter but i’ll do it right another night. too late tonight!!

but it works!

Last edited:
long time since i’ve added to this thread but i decided to give the stock fj62 tach a go again. i bought one of these this time…
View attachment 3178827

it was a bit more expensive than a new tach but i like the original look.

turns out that the red wire on the back of the tach is the signal input. it connects in the harness upstream to the black wire with gold dots. i spliced a new wire into the connector.
View attachment 3178828

then it connects to the module through the green wire. the two wires in the shielded case go to the tach sensor on the injection pump. red tonignition power and black to ground. pretty simple and it works!! View attachment 3178830
testing it out to make sure it worked…

then ran the wires properlyView attachment 3178829

except i forgot to run the power wire from an ignition source. i connected it right to the battery. probably doesn’t matter but i’ll do it right another night. too late tonight!!

but it works!

Are you adding this small box / kit mr. Franklin because you don’t have the sensor / signal pickup sender on the bell housing ?

HA 🤣 i guess i should give some context as to what i was trying to achieve!!

i put i 1hdt engine in my fj62 years ago. i wanted to keep the stock dash but the tach sensor on the injection pump only works with the diesel tach which i don’t have. so instead of buying a new tach that didn’t match i’ve been trying to get a way for my tach to interface with the diesel pump. i kind of let it go for a while while doing other things but came across this little unit on line somewhere and thought i’d give it a try. well my speedometer cable broke so last night while the dash was apart to fix that i figured i’d give this little guy a go! works like a charm.

HA 🤣 i guess i should give some context as to what i was trying to achieve!!

i put i 1hdt engine in my fj62 years ago. i wanted to keep the stock dash but the tach sensor on the injection pump only works with the diesel tach which i don’t have. so instead of buying a new tach that didn’t match i’ve been trying to get a way for my tach to interface with the diesel pump. i kind of let it go for a while while doing other things but came across this little unit on line somewhere and thought i’d give it a try. well my speedometer cable broke so last night while the dash was apart to fix that i figured i’d give this little guy a go! works like a charm.

oh kool

i knew there was some sort of unique sensor or pick-up sender involved ?

do you still have the NON-USA TACH you decided not to go with ?

the one with the YELLOW JDM scale meter ........:cat: :idea:

1669556791862.png

no i’ve never had the tach for the 80 series. only what came with my fj62 from the factory

no i’ve never had the tach for the 80 series. only what came with my fj62 from the factory

i dialed in my new to me 10/88 FJ62LG-PNEK Stock Factory Tach , that goes with my grand plan concept vision restore / build theme .....

I sourced all the speedometer paint Thu SUMMIT

I hand applied it with a traditional Quill 🪶

Details matter and matter do details

DD245863-F44E-4CF1-A653-3CDEDA4261D6.jpeg
D6DB9717-FF34-4BB0-8B47-F42869165951.jpeg
8611193C-84FC-4261-B049-CC70D2029D1A.jpeg
4922CEBB-2A5F-4B81-BFE1-A7D892F9B4A1.jpeg
894E0F1A-0C08-4EAF-889C-E5EB73BBAE8C.jpeg

Last edited:
wow that looks great! i stuck with the traditional green even on my stereo. played with the splash screen a little too. all led except my 4WD and high beam lights. they were too bright at night
F838F44E-785A-4BB4-ABA2-E31AD78DF97A.jpeg
04FA30D9-89F0-4042-8C33-CAEC80C09596.jpeg
97B82B2C-ADBB-41B9-A9FC-B2B12BC19F78.jpeg

there to prove it works

F447E218-CB42-4116-9F29-07801258E108.jpeg

and after confirming it was idling too high i adjusted that to 800. sounds awesome

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom