Fj62 rear hatch doesn't unlock from outside (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody had this problem? I can climb into the back and flip the lock open from the inside, and then open the upper hatch window from the outside, but it'd be nice to be able to lock/unlock it from the outside instead of having to crawl into the back every time.

what's the easiest way to fix this?

I had the some issue. Had to wiggle that lock to death to get it to open. Ended up selling the truck. Don't really know the fix. Lol,sorry I haven't been much help...

I had the some issue. Had to wiggle that lock to death to get it to open. Ended up selling the truck. Don't really know the fix. Lol,sorry I haven't been much help...

It's actually easy to open from the inside, but it doesn't even budge from the outside with the key. I'm not a gearhead but I think I just need to make sure whatever is triggered when the lock is turned to, in turn, trigger the lock itself to open. I'm guessing I'll have to take the inside panel off.

i had that happen. i took the tumbler out and soaked it in wd40 overnight. then wiggle the key a bunch to break up the corrosion and work it with another night soaking in wd40. once is noving well a good graphite grease or lock grease and it's working like a charm. that was my fix

^This.
Same thing on my 60...I assume they're similar. Not quite as complicated as I thought. Pulled the tumbler, etc. out from inside the rear hatch via a removable panel, soaked, brushed, etc. an reassembled. There are small plastic clips that hold the connecting rods in place, just be careful as they can be brittle. You'll see what I'm talking about once you're in there.

Yup, tear it down and work that tumbler free. I sprayed lube into the tumbler without disassembly to no avail. I thought I might need to pay a locksmith because I just didn't have the right key, but the manual says it should be one key for all locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom