FJ62 Rear Carpet Panel on Tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

johnny4ever

Test appropriately
Threads
Website
www.popartdavis.com
What are the plastic fasteners called that attach the carpet panel to the tailgate?
Where can they be found for purchase?

You mean those plastic pieces that snap into holes. I think they are rivets. I would try to get them off any old car. I notice that my collora's rivets are of similar size. I guess I should pull some off a car before it goes into a wreaking yard.I 'm always looking for some also cause I always seem to break them.

yeah-i bought extras when i got them because they seem to strip whenever you have to pull a panel or something.

They are called "clips" and can be obtained at any Toyota dealer. There are many variations. In order to obtain the correct ones you will need to supply the year, model, and geographic location of the clips. If your local dealer is unable to find them I will be glad to assist.

D-

Okay, I am, or used to be, an overly dedicated OEM guy. I've spent probably $200 on little clips, rivits, screws, etc bto get OEM for my 2 cruisers.

While perusing the isles of an AutoZone (I know, I know) the other day I found an entire rack of every kind of plastic rivet, plug, clip and fastener! And guess what - they're really really cheap!

Just an idea!

they're called retaining clips. check around your local area for a specialty auto parts supply house that supports the local auto body businesses as they more than likely stock, or can order, just about any plastic clip for any make or model.

I found some aftermarket clips for my door trim panels that are a dead knock off of the factory parts and in fact, were labeled for Toyota applications. Cheap too! :D

If not, C-Dan is your man for OEM...

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

The p.o. of my vehicle used some aftermarket clips in some areas--I hate to say it, but they work much better than the OEM ones (well, the OEM ones are 17 years old). It's on my list to get more to replace the others.

cruiserdan said:
They are called "clips" and can be obtained at any Toyota dealer. There are many variations. In order to obtain the correct ones you will need to supply the year, model, and geographic location of the clips. If your local dealer is unable to find them I will be glad to assist.

D-

Greetings Dan,

After a being dormant for some time I am awake and seeking the plastic clips that secure the carpeted tailgate panel to the gate.
My 1988 FJ62 was originally an Austin Texas vehicle. It has a manufacture date of Dec. 1987.

Please advise
John D

saint60 said:
yeah-i bought extras when i got them because they seem to strip whenever you have to pull a panel or something.

A little Emler's poly based glue works great for keeping the "outer" parts stuck to the sheet metal, and you can still remove them if need be without tearing up the paint.

I saw a photo of someones 60 with a diamond plate replacement for that carpet. It looked like thin plate could of been a sturdy plastic. good idea if you are dragging gear in and out or cooking on the gate.

Anybody seen this rig?

High Desert said:
I saw a photo of someones 60 with a diamond plate replacement for that carpet. It looked like thin plate could of been a sturdy plastic. good idea if you are dragging gear in and out or cooking on the gate.

Anybody seen this rig?

High desert: I laminated vinyl rubber diamond plate on top of a thin piece of ABS that was cut and drilled like the press board core on the OEM tailgate cover. Is this what you are referring to? I've also seen one done in aluminum diamond plate, but I don't know how it was mounted.
tail gate cover 2 small.JPG

I'm in Lago Vista and have a set that I just pulled off of my 82 FJ60 that you are welcome to have. It's not a complete set, but if you just needed to replace a few they're yours.

Free shipping too OR if you're headed toward Austin anytime soon let me know.

Cruiser Dan are these interchangeable? I believe mine was originally from Colorado.

2MBB
how did you attatch the rubber to the plastic.
i have rubber diamond plate, and tried several ways to fasten it to plywood , but it keeps coming off
hammer

hammer1 said:
2MBB
i have rubber diamond plate, and tried several ways to fasten it to plywood , but it keeps coming off
hammer

Have you tried to scuff up the rubber side with sandpaper and using rubber contact cement or adhesive? That might work.
Using some adhesive that is thick and tacky might be the answer and cleaning the surface of any residual dust or particles will ensure a better bond.

2mbb said:
High desert: I laminated vinyl rubber diamond plate on top of a thin piece of ABS that was cut and drilled like the press board core on the OEM tailgate cover. Is this what you are referring to? I've also seen one done in aluminum diamond plate, but I don't know how it was mounted.

That's it, That is just to smart. I carry a piece of carpet to "protect" the tail gate.

"want dat"

hammer1 said:
2MBB
hammer

The guy at the plastics store recommended what he called a contact cement. The product is called E6000. This is the claim from the tube:

"E-6000 is a unique adhesive formulated to meet high-performance industrial requirements. It adheres to more surfaces than virtually any other adhesive. E-6000 has exceptional adhesion to wood, metal, glass, fiberglass, ceramics, masonry and concrete. Not for use on Styrofoam. It also adheres strongly to leather, rubber, vinyl and many plastics. Because it is abrasion-resistant E-6000 may be used on high-wear surfaces. E-6000 maintains its flexible bond in cold temperatures and may be used to bond items subject to vibration."

I used up a 10 oz container (caulk tube size). Applied it to both surfaces, spreading it as best I could with a piece of plastic (bondo applicator), let set for 10 minutes, then pressed the two peices together.

The bond seems tight, but I should say that I just completed this project and haven't really put it to the test. I'm volunterring as a bicycle mechanic for a week long charity bicycle ride next month, so I'll get to see how it holds up.

View attachment 73332
yes, perfect. I just need to get the holes drilled in the right spot!

I suppose I used the old carpet backing as the template.

there are some tools available, but these are mostly for metal or wood and for only single holes. You would have to repeat the process 6 or 8 times, each time getting the template location lined up. here is another idea.

Make a template out of poster board or card board that fits inside the depression of the tail gate. In the general location of each of the holes for the rivets, cut out an oversized hole in the template. It doesn't matter if this hole is exactly centered, just that the holes for the rivets are someplace inside this hole. Tape the template to the tailgate in the desired location. Take a smaller piece of poster board, or an index card and punch a small hole in the middle. Center the hole in the index card over the hole for the rivet and tape the index card to the template. Repeat this for all the rivet holes.

I'm sure someone will have a better idea...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom