FJ62 Questions: Switches/Bolts/Paint/Carpet. Help me Obi Wan! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning Mud Mind!

I have been really enjoying upgrading/replacing/repairing various pieces on my '89 FJ62 (nothing nearly as ambitious as so many people on Mud attempt) and have come up with a number of embarrassingly simple questions. I thought I would get all the dumb questions out of the way in one post so if any of you can help with some/all of them, please help an LC brother out!

1) What does the rocker switch on the center console control? Any decal on mine is long since faded out so I have no idea what it's meant to do and/or assess if it's working properly;

2) How does the rear washer function? My wiper works like a charm but I'm not sure what button controls the spray. I imagine it's not working properly but not even sure what button would be used to test it;

3) What's the part number or appropriate replacement for the small plastic retainers on the shroud at the base of the dash above the tranny? (see image with green circles) Mine had two small plastic retainers that were useless and despite having at least three boxes of assorted retainer clips of various kinds, I don't have anything that fits the bill;

4) Does anyone know of the correct part number for the bolts at the top of the front/rear bumpers? (images below) I recently replaced the seriously dented ones that came with the truck with OEM (yay!). Bad news is that the new bolts I got from Cruiser Corps (I usually like their products but less so in this case) have an underside that is too tall so the bolts sit proud above the bumper by approx. 1/8". Doesn't sound like much but makes the final installation look very JV. The OEM bolts had a very shallow square part immediately under the bolt head. The replacement square part beneath the heads are just too tall;

5) Does anyone have a perfect spray paint match for the brown plastic interior of (for instance) the center console? The "dark brown" spray paint at my local Home Depot is very close but not sure if someone, somewhere makes a custom mix that is the perfect Toyota OEM match;

6) Has anyone purchased/used the interior carpet from www.stockinteriors.com? The closest match (with a sample) seems to be Nylon Loop #629 "Dark Brown" (88-90 Toyota Land Cruiser Carpet Complete Kit - https://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=23536&ModelId=709) but would love to hear any experience you've had;

7) I replaced 90% of the interior lights with their LED counterparts. It's been a great upgrade. Some of the ones I have been unable to remove and install were the Oil ATP, A/C (mine works but would love to upgrade it), the rear defroster, wiper, etc. Despite taking the entire dash off without damaging any of the aging plastic and clips behind it, I simply could NOT remove the existing bulbs. Might just be my sausage fingers or reluctance to really apply some force for fear of breaking something. Any tricks/tips here?

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on any of the questions above! Go Mud Mind!!

Best,
Evan

DashRetainer.jpg

FJ62_bumperBolts1.jpg

FJ62_bumperBolts2.jpg

2) How does the rear washer function
Push the rocker button farther. It’s spring loaded. Then it will squirt if there’s water in the bladder tank back there and the pump works.

• New bumper bolts aren’t available anymore
• Just about everything plastic is no longer available new. Also unique bolts & screws are pretty much all gone (like 15 years ago).

The two missing fasteners on your AC/heater ducting are push clips toyota part number 90467-05031-01.

The carriage bolts for the bumpers are toyota part number 90112-12041.

As OSS says these items may not be available.

Thanks OSS/2mbb!

I'll see what I can do to track them down. I can probably modify existing bolts to be a better fit but before I start machining/hacking each bolt, I'll see if I can find them. Same for the retainers - if I can track them down, great. If not, I'll find something that works.

Best,
EL

Thanks OGBeno.

Thanks to all of you, with part numbers in hand I've ordered them and they're on the way!

Best,
E

re your #1 - that's probably for the antenna; mine came with a non-function antenna motor that otherwise would have raised or lowered it. I took mine off.

re the LEDs in the A/C and rocker switches - these are pains in the asses, esp. the A/C one - you really have to pull that unit out a lot to get at it - the other you'd need to remove the rocker from the panel. for the oil ATP ones, I know my oil temp light works but I suspect I never installed my ATP warning light correctly, that one only ever turns on when the transfer case is set to N and the AT is set to P.

Thanks all! Adding two questions/thoughts...

8) Cleaned the rear washer bag and checked connections. Pump seems to work a treat but is getting blocked somewhere in the line. Pulled the panel on the rear door to expose the back-side of the nozzle and the line seems to be getting clogged. I can replace the line but before I start the detective work, where does the line of washer fluid transition from the frame of the truck to the frame of the door. Seems to be right-hand side (looking from the rear) but the one rubber gasket seems to only contain electrical lines. Advice?

9) I don't think the rocker switch on the center console is for the antenna as it has positive stops at each end while my antenna switch on the dash (I replaced the power antenna last week - which was a PITA but now works perfectly) is temp up/down. Possible the center console switch was rear defrost?

Thanks everyone - have a good weekend.

Best,
E

8) The washer fluid line does indeed run out the RH side of the truck, at the top of the hatch, through a rubber grommet. There is a check valve along the line, so make note of its location when removing the line. You may need to take the headliner down a bit at the back too. More than likely, the hose is probably split where it flexes each time the hatch is open or closed.

Good Morning Mud Mind!

I have been really enjoying upgrading/replacing/repairing various pieces on my '89 FJ62 (nothing nearly as ambitious as so many people on Mud attempt) and have come up with a number of embarrassingly simple questions. I thought I would get all the dumb questions out of the way in one post so if any of you can help with some/all of them, please help an LC brother out!

1) What does the rocker switch on the center console control? Any decal on mine is long since faded out so I have no idea what it's meant to do and/or assess if it's working properly;

2) How does the rear washer function? My wiper works like a charm but I'm not sure what button controls the spray. I imagine it's not working properly but not even sure what button would be used to test it;

3) What's the part number or appropriate replacement for the small plastic retainers on the shroud at the base of the dash above the tranny? (see image with green circles) Mine had two small plastic retainers that were useless and despite having at least three boxes of assorted retainer clips of various kinds, I don't have anything that fits the bill;

4) Does anyone know of the correct part number for the bolts at the top of the front/rear bumpers? (images below) I recently replaced the seriously dented ones that came with the truck with OEM (yay!). Bad news is that the new bolts I got from Cruiser Corps (I usually like their products but less so in this case) have an underside that is too tall so the bolts sit proud above the bumper by approx. 1/8". Doesn't sound like much but makes the final installation look very JV. The OEM bolts had a very shallow square part immediately under the bolt head. The replacement square part beneath the heads are just too tall;

5) Does anyone have a perfect spray paint match for the brown plastic interior of (for instance) the center console? The "dark brown" spray paint at my local Home Depot is very close but not sure if someone, somewhere makes a custom mix that is the perfect Toyota OEM match;

6) Has anyone purchased/used the interior carpet from www.stockinteriors.com? The closest match (with a sample) seems to be Nylon Loop #629 "Dark Brown" (88-90 Toyota Land Cruiser Carpet Complete Kit - https://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=23536&ModelId=709) but would love to hear any experience you've had;

7) I replaced 90% of the interior lights with their LED counterparts. It's been a great upgrade. Some of the ones I have been unable to remove and install were the Oil ATP, A/C (mine works but would love to upgrade it), the rear defroster, wiper, etc. Despite taking the entire dash off without damaging any of the aging plastic and clips behind it, I simply could NOT remove the existing bulbs. Might just be my sausage fingers or reluctance to really apply some force for fear of breaking something. Any tricks/tips here?

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on any of the questions above! Go Mud Mind!!

Best,
Evan

View attachment 3189006

View attachment 3189007

View attachment 3189008
Center console is rear floor heater high/off (neither side pushed down)/low
@ToyotaMatt males a replacement sticker for that rocker switch

i don't offer a sticker of any sort ?

what i do offer is a Professionally Restored and Re-conditioned inside and out FJ62 Rear Heater rocker switch assy ,

i take in your old and tired one as a core / trade-in exchange , just a starter or alternator at the Toyota dealer , same exact concept

i DO NOT simply offer up this switch outright , with out a core trade -in , because i could not continue this needed specialty service with out them

i will try to help someone however , in a PM Communication ONLY special circumstances case by case bases ...................fyi

thanks

RH 04.jpg

I don't know about stock interiors for carpet, but lot of MUD folks have good things to say about @dnp for carpet.
Always nice to support a forum vendor when possible.
I have a Stock Interiors carpet kit in my FJ62, it’s perfect. Affordable & relatively easy to install. It comes with carpet insulation already attached so cutting holes for the PRNDL & HNL shifters can be challenging. Have lots of good blades & some carpet shears on hand. Make sure to baggie up and label all the bolts you’ll be taking out! Have fun!

i don't offer a sticker of any sort ?

what i do offer is a Professionally Restored and Re-conditioned inside and out FJ62 Rear Heater rocker switch assy ,

i take in your old and tired one as a core / trade-in exchange , just a starter or alternator at the Toyota dealer , same exact concept

i DO NOT simply offer up this switch outright , with out a core trade -in , because i could not continue this needed specialty service with out them

i will try to help someone however , in a PM Communication ONLY special circumstances case by case bases ...................fyi

thanks

View attachment 3189564
I’ll send you a core! 😄

I don't know about stock interiors for carpet, but lot of MUD folks have good things to say about @dnp for carpet.
Always nice to support a forum vendor when possible.

Huge fan of @dnp csrpet kits.
closest you’ll find to OEM
Thanks for the props, guys! I also send a detailed install guide with all 60/62 sets.

There's a mfr. price increase Jan. 1, so @thenative1 , if you're interested, carpet will be a little less expensive before the first of the year. Send me a PM if you need pricing / options.

Thanks,
dnp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom