FJ62 power antenna fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Been a while since I have posted anything and wanted to share my power antenna fix. I had done a quick search and didn’t see this already, but I apologize if this is duplicate information.
As you probably know, the FJ62 power antenna assembly, P/N 86300-90A25, is NLA. You can still get a mast repair kit, P/N 86353-14332, and if all you have is a bent antenna, you can order that and stop reading here.
However, if like mine, the gear is broken inside your antenna body, I discovered that the FZJ-80 antenna, part number 86300-60050 will work if you do some part swapping between the two. While the FZJ-80 antenna is still a couple hundred bucks brand new, I found one used for about 35 bucks. The parts that will need to be swapped are the mount bracket (two 10mm bolts), the antenna mast and mast housing. One note is that there was a little plastic piece in the FZJ-80 antenna body that I had to remove. I don’t know if it was a piece of the old 80 series antenna or part of the design, but a pick and some needle nose pliers made quick work of it.
Essentially, I ordered 86300-60050 and 86353-14332, removed that little plastic piece, swapped the bracket, installed the FJ-62 antenna mast kit, and put the FJ-62 mast housing on and now have a working antenna that is near stock.
One final note is that it appeared all the parts were interchangeable either direction (if you just wanted the gear inside), but I swapped my FJ-62 mast, mast housing and mounting bracket to the FZJ-80 antenna assembly because it was the better of the two.
Pictures to follow shortly.

Here is a picture of the two antennas side by side. The FZJ-80 on the left and my FJ-62 on the right, with the new antenna mast kit waiting to be installed.
BD38D205-716B-4F77-B497-055E7A6A5562.jpeg

This is the FZJ-80 antenna body open to remove the old antenna and clean/prep for the FJ-62 antenna mast kit.
746604C5-57DC-4859-8F31-23DA14E83527.jpeg

This is the little plastic piece inside the FZJ-80 antenna mast guide that I had to remove. If you don’t remove this, your new antenna mast will not go all the way down. It will end up sticking up about the length of that little plastic piece (sarcasm intended). I still don’t know if that is part of the antenna assembly or just a piece of that old FZJ-80 antenna that was stuck in there.
9C0CF1AE-768C-4CFC-896B-5486E7B917A8.jpeg

Here is the final product with the parts removed on the left. The antenna, with parts swapped, ready to be installed in the middle, and my old broken FJ-62 antenna on the right.
F40CA186-249D-4B5C-9FF7-2C1A25EB16E6.jpeg

Excellent! I just might get the 80‘s antenna for future use if my fj62 antenna eventually reaches end of life. Thanks for posting.

Mine is broken so this is a good replacement idea.

thanks for sharing!

I always wondered if an 80 antenna would fit on the 62. Thanks for letting me know they definitely are different. If only I had the original 62 antenna body. Will be searching for both now. A working 80 and a non functioning 62.

@62Cruiser This is an awesome fix. Do you think it would be possible to modify the 80 mast housing to work instead of grabbing the one from the 62? I'm in a similar boat to @Big Timber in that i don't have the original antenna. PO put something that doesn't use the stock wiring harness and definitely doesn't work. Thanks for any feedback.

@62Cruiser Thanks for the great detail. I can find the FZJ-80 assembly on Ebay (NOS) for about $155 with shipping and there are many available. I think I must also have a stripped gear because I can hear the antenna motor and some turning plastic sounds when I operate the dash switch. But, I don't hear the motor when I turn the radio on/off. Before I buy the parts, I'm curious to know if the new one you have responds to both the radio on/off and dashboard switch? Is it likely that I have another electrical problem that will need to be fixed at the same time? Thanks for your time.

I installed the 80 assembly today which I bought new on eBay. It came with the antenna already installed so I just swapped the bracket and mast like @62Cruiser suggested above. Here's a pic of of the unit ready for install. Even though the FJ62 mast seats all the way to the base of the 80's assembly, it was 1/4" too tall and the mounting bracket didn't line up with the hole. To solve this, I cut the mast 1/4" shorter with a small hack saw and re-installed it again...fit perfectly after that.

That seems to be a slightly different issue than the mystery plastic piece removed by the OP?

I sold my old parts (picture 2) to MUD member adding a power antenna to his 60.

IMG_7851.jpeg

IMG_7852.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom