fj62 Lights On FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They are not FJ62 headlights, they really made 80 series with those headlights in other countries.

Looks like something MOT could probably locate for you. He's in Japan and usually posts cool links to all the goodies we don't get here. Try PM'ing him, unless he reads this post first!

BTW... I dig that look too!

These pic s are taken from the Toyota Venezuela website. They have the 4500 which is like the 80's we get here, and a base model, Autuna. It also has steelies!

The first one has side cladding. I haven't seen this before on their website. When you click on 4500 & Autuna link, it takes you to the pic of the blue 4500 and the pewter colored Autuna. Here's the link- http://www.toyota.com.ve/
Autuna.JPG
4500.JPG

offroadkid,

Hey, you are right. This is right up my alley! ;)

The quad lights were not available here in Japan (nor in N. America), but were available in other parts of the globe (Middle East, OZ, Europe(?), etc...).

I think I can still locate and purchase them, but I've heard that the low beam output is worse than that of stock N. American-spec model's (and that of JDM's, too).

Of course, you get the coolness factor to go with it. ;p

Last I priced them, they were $6-$700 for the lights, not including the clear corners, which are shaped different than the JDM/US counterparts.

Mot

You would be taking a step backwards as those lamps are fitted to "poverty pack" or base model versions of the 80.

Also, Japanese/Australian sourced lights have incorrect beam patterns for the US since they're RHD countries.

DougM

Are they LHD ??

Where can you get the fender flares? Are they JDM? I did a google search and couldn't locate a web site for them.

IdahoDoug said:
Also, Japanese/Australian sourced lights have incorrect beam patterns for the US since they're RHD countries.

DougM

Not to be knit-picky (sp), but the quad-lights' lows could be swapped with the correct LHD lighting pattern. But of course that means even more $$.

The whole set-up like the one posted by LX usually costs around $1000 here. That should scare most wannabe's away from considering the conversion. ;)

The pictured rig at the top of the thread is not JDM, but I "think" you could purchase similar fender flares if that's the look you are going for. :)

Mot

yes and no, the H4/H1 combo can be made much brighter than the US spec headlights.......the set up(upgraded harness and H4/H1s) I have on the fj62 is incredible, outshines any other headlight set up I have

cruiserdan said:
You would be taking a step backwards as those lamps are fitted to "poverty pack" or base model versions of the 80.

MSGGrunt said:
Where can you get the fender flares? Are they JDM? I did a google search and couldn't locate a web site for them.

Iceland rigs sport those. I believe it requires lengthening the wheel base and major quarter panel modifications.

Landpimp said:
yes and no, the H4/H1 combo can be made much brighter than the US spec headlights.......the set up(upgraded harness and H4/H1s) I have on the fj62 is incredible, outshines any other headlight set up I have

'K, so you can weld with yours........... :grinpimp:

BUT, they are base-model headlights for an 80 and they look like it . ;p

You, of all people, should know that is not important to be good. It is important to look good and you look marvelous............. :D

cruiserdan said:
You, of all people, should know that is not important to be good. It is important to look good and you look marvelous............. :D

Yeah, no s***. I dont even think the goons at starbucks would serve you around here if youre sporting the low roller headlights in your 80. They look for that s***, you know! :flipoff2:

On a more serious note, Pimp, where'd you get the square H4's??? All I can find is the J**P 7" ones...

Landpimp said:

I will second that with Cibie 4x6 and high watt bulbs that this will put out a better pattern with more light than the stock US lamps with high watt or HIR bulbs. That said, the Hella 90mm lamps would still work better and be cheaper to fab at $300 for all the lights plus fabrication costs.

I used Hellas on the 62, got em local thru Connies supplier(car dealer crap) I would have done IPF but all the IPF's for the rectangular lights are for a RHD.....and the patter is backwards. Squansia(SP) Motorsports carries them as well

and Dan..........I am OK with function over form........especialy when it comes to headlights :D

and as you know, all US spec 60-62 were not the top of the line models......they were the Deluxe(aka mid lever trim)

cruiserbrett said:
On a more serious note, Pimp, where'd you get the square H4's??? All I can find is the J**P 7" ones...

mel lowe said:
What would it take to make the front end of my 80 look like this one?

I don’t think you want to do that. Those light don’t work as good as the ones you have on your 80 right now. I have a 2003 Autana back home (Venezuela) with them, and I really hate them. For some reason they are not as bright as the one on the fully equipped version (which brings the same headlights as the US version). If I were you I would stay away from those lights!

Alejandro,

You are right. The factory lamps on the US spec 80 series is much better than the Autana factory lights. Autanas come equiped with Koyto square headlamps. Those things are worthless.
Get a set of Hella's and you will see the light.

Regards

Alvaro

LC80's local release are VX models comes with the four lamp system, IMHO it will outshine the stock USDM lights even with HIR's.

Upgrading lights - long

As a former ProRally driver, and 25 year euro/aux light freak, I'll put my .02 on this thread. Wasting a single dollar converting the US lights to anything else isn't cost effective IMO. The 4x6 lights have a smaller lense, which means the light output won't be better, only different. Go to dual/quad 200mm square (ala 1st gen 4r), maybe. I recently acquired a 94 FZJ80 to replace my 87 4R turbo (200mm square euro H4 55/100 and Rally 2000 Driving with 100w bulbs). I find the 80 low beams to be excellent (a better upper beam cutoff would be nice), and the highs are pretty good. Overall, a direct comparo to the 4R 200mm Euro conversions. Add in the R2000 however, and the comparo is over. My plan is to add R2000 to my TJM (when/if it ever gets off the boat).

Comparing US spec to quad 4x6, you might get a better high beam with the quads, but a better solution would be to just purchase a good set of pencil/driving beam aux lights for the 80.

The 80 also gives you some benefit wrt DOT laws. You are allowed 6 foward facing operational lights. Put quad 4's on, you can add 2 aux lights. Leave the stocker 80 spec lights, you can put 4 aux lights on if you're so inclined. Best bang for buck on the 80 US lights? Relay the low and High beam, maximum voltage TO the bulb is about the only thing I would consider.

HTH and my .02

Scott Justusson
'94 FZJ80 Emerald
'87 4R Turbo (200 Euros - Rally 2000)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom