fj62 Lights On FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Sumotoy, I was interested in the conversion too. I will stick with the stockers and follow up with your sugestions.

or you can change to stock looking headlights of the LC80 but with H4/H1 bulbs inside. you have more choices of higher wattage bulbs with the H4's as well as the H1's.

TFS55 said:
or you can change to stock looking headlights of the LC80 but with H4/H1 bulbs inside. you have more choices of higher wattage bulbs with the H4's as well as the H1's.

Not sure where you got the pic(s) from or they are actually yours, but if you are suggesting just changing/swapping the base/bulbs with the H1/H4 on the stock set-up in N. America, you would not be able to get the desired results due to the texture that is on/in the lense which was designed specifically for driving on the right side of the road. I know that the pics you've posted are of the unit that is of (or similar to that of) the one that I have posted while ago with the multi-reflector design with Lexan(?) surface which is designed for the RHD and would not work for the LHD vehicles of N. America. Or you or the manufacturer has made them available for driving on the wrong side, too. :D Who knows? ;p

I believe that some Euro 80's were endowed with the inner H1 and outer H4 (believe with textured, glass lenses), which would work in N. America. Doubt it's DOT approved, but not sure if cops would pull over for them, either.

What do I know anyway... :rolleyes:

Mot

we have available here in the Philippines LHD spec lights with H4/H1 bulb fitment, so as the pics i posted above are being sold in the store of my friend. You can also pair those lights with clear type park lights and signal lights.

actually its glass, was surprised to see it was thinking also it was of lexan based on your posted pic in the other thread, but this one was glass. so as the normal looking (USDM look) lights which uses H4/H1 bulbs also for LHD specs.

But im also not sure if they are DOT approved. just like to share to owners what is available outside the U.S.

Nice!

How much are your friend chargin' for them, if you don't mind my asking. ;)

Mot

With regard to legality of euro lights... All Euro (E-Code) LHD headlights are DOT legal in the USA (RHD e-codes are *not* legal), I printed off the DOT rules and kept it in my 4R. What isn't legal however, are the non DOT marker and turn signals found in most aftermarket bumpers (4R with TJM + non DOT TJM turn signals). The rules are also a bit vague with regard to parking lights vs clearance lights. Most US cars/trucks use the turn signal as the clearance light. Most Euros don't. That said clearance AND turns must be DOT approved, or you could risk equip violation. Many on the 4R list would just add a 1157 bulb holder to the 1156 turn signal to get a DOT approved lense. All plastic lenses that don't have 'DOT' cast into them are not DOT legal (that's all - including clearnace/turn - front/rear.

IMU E-codes are available in both LHD and RHD configs. In terms of lighting output, the LHD 1pc E-Codes should be a good improvement to the stock lighting. However, they are expensive, require a major rewiring job (including light housing connectors), and should be aimed really accurately. In my shop I do a lot of e-code conversions to 1980's/90's audis and really found the ultimate combo to be e-code LHD right light, ecode RHD left light, and use the H4>HID conversion kits inet available for ~300USD, and separating out the H3 inner high with a 100w bulb upgrade. Not really legal (but hard to tell RHD left light), but phenom lighting.

I'd like to go e-codes on my 80 someday, but it's hardly healthy for the wallet. Relay the stock us low and the high beams, and you'll have some really decent lighting until you win the lottery.

HTH

Scott Justusson
'94 FZJ80 emerald
'87 4R turbo A/T - Ecodes + R2000

I think all that is going to gain you is looks (bling).

Easiest thing for better light output to do to set up relays and HIRs.

Buy the slee harness. I used to do it myself, but the slee setup is very affordable.

I got a better deal on mine used (from dclee here on the board), but the slee price is very fair and it is easy to install rather than farting around building it. I can't imagine building one would be all that much cheaper after you bought the factory style connectors, wire and relays.

If you run the HIRs in the low beams you get plenty of light output with the stock lights. Cutoff could be better, but it is very passable. Lots of light.

Charlie

lights will cost around 300 USD, i checked them they have E4 marking inside a circle but no DOT, I dont know if its leagal there in the US.

TFS55,

That's a good price. Cheaper than I could get the RHD version here anyway.

Thanks for the info.! :cheers:

Mot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom