FJ62 Front Bumper Design Input? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kentucky Kyle

Threads
I don't know if this goes here exactly but.....

I haven't been able to find a bumper that I like completely so I've decided to design and build my own (just designed at the moment).
I've pulled many ideas from many bumpers that I like partially and here it is.

2019-06-25_0934.png
2019-06-25_0935.png
2019-06-25_0936.png
2019-06-25_0936_001.png
2019-06-25_0937.png

What I'm wanting is input on things that I may not have thought of. The things I did want and couldn't find anywhere else in one bumper were:

- A non-winch plate bumper.
- Something that looks like it is integrated into the truck not just an add on to the front end.
- Something that wrapped around the sides of the front fenders and followed the wheel well lines.
- Something as tight as possible to the front end without impeding any functionality.

The only thing I have left to add are the lights that will be mounted in it. Probably 4x4 LED pod type lights in the right and left wings.

Anyway, let me know your constructive thoughts.

I like the goal and the initial exercise. From a design standpoint -
Consider adding integrated recovery points or shackle mounts in line with the frame rails, possibly a dimple or pocket where you could securely use a hi-lift jack.
Side profile looks clean and has the fender corner protection.
If you have the ability to curve the plate material at all you can mitigate the 4 corners where the bumper projects from the body the most.
It looks like the top of the bumper sits higher than the frame rails or stock bumper, so you'd cope it around the fascia panel correct?

Updated design. Added:
- Light buckets
- Recovery points inline with frame rails (thanks @cheeese)
- License plate recess (gotta have front license plate in Oregon)
- Holes on the top of the bull bar to weld a nut into later for cable tie point.

2019-06-25_1400_001.png
2019-06-25_1358.png
2019-06-25_1400.png
2019-06-25_1402_001.png
2019-06-25_1401.png

Ive been playing around with my own designs for a bumper, and i have had the though of making sloped. This way if you were to hit a stump or rock it would direct the force upward rather than the frame taking the full impact. With that being said my design would incorporate a sid-plate that would help protect the steering components. Ive sorta based my design on how the build train bumpers to reduce head on collisions. That is just my 2-cents i haven't had the facilities or time to have a proof of concept.

Keep on going & it'll be a spitting image of the ARB. Unless you're really good at metal fabrication, the ARB will get you 98% of what you're wanting in a bumper and it'll be tried & tested in all kinds of situations - and just bolt in and fit perfectly. But I can see wanting something unique.... but if it looks like an ARB at a quick glance, it won't be unique at all to other people- just you.
But maybe it's way cheaper building your own

I like the design but I also like my ARB. There was a good thread with impact damage on an ARB. Let me see if I can find it... Here it is.

The distance the ARB bumper sits away from the vehicle seems like it would save your body panels. We’re not talking about a huge difference here just looking at your photos. I think the 60 linked above definitely benefited from the ARB!

I know this thread wasn’t about impact damages to a bumper. Just my $0.02 :)

Well... here it is. Obviously not powder coated yet but that'll be done in the next few weeks. Also going to add some fog light bezels to frame out the openings nice.

Went together fairly well since I had it laser cut. Thoughts?

P.S. I know it looks similar to an ARB.

hell2.jpg

hello.jpg

Got the bumper back from powder. There will definitely be some revisions for the next one.

Not too bad for my first plate bumper though...

Final Bumper.jpg
Final Bumper 2.jpg
Final Bumper 3.jpg

Nice work, I’d pull in the front lip/lower valence in as much as possible. That’s the main disadvantage of the arb. Angle the front a bit so it looks less blockish. Looks impressive for a first try. I like the wing protection. What would you sell them for?

If you’re looking for an untapped product, I know I’d be interested in a spare tire mount that retains the factory rear bumper like @SUMMIT CRUISERS does for the 80 series.

Also, a modern version of the old style ARB would be cool, people search high and low for those.

just spitballin’

also, what snorkel is that?

I want to make up some bumpers but I intend to build a set out of Aluminum to help cut the weight down.

Nice work, I’d pull in the front lip/lower valence in as much as possible. That’s the main disadvantage of the arb. Angle the front a bit so it looks less blockish. Looks impressive for a first try. I like the wing protection. What would you sell them for?

If you’re looking for an untapped product, I know I’d be interested in a spare tire mount that retains the factory rear bumper like @SUMMIT CRUISERS does for the 80 series.

Also, a modern version of the old style ARB would be cool, people search high and low for those.

just spitballin’

also, what snorkel is that?

I would want to make the revisions and complete another one before I even thought about selling one. The next thing i'll be working on is a full rear bumper with dual swing outs unless someone pushes me for actually wanting a front unit.

I would not, however, be opposed to selling them if someone(s) was interested.

The snorkel is just the "standard" Safari Snorkel. I think I ordered it from Cruiser Brothers.

I like it! I dig the ARB design, but I know back in the day 4+Plus made a bull bar style bumper that I liked more than the ARB, so I'm going to give them a call in the next week or two and ask about it. Can't just get an ARB anyway since I have my 1" body lift that I want to have it customized to accommodate for and I want it set up to hold a Warn M12000 that I'm wanting to get maybe next Summer.

If you put in a receiver hitch mount, you can take one of those rear load decks, and use it as a step when working in engine compartment.

also receiver mount winches are available, so are removable....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom