FJ62 Dash Pad Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
I am in the process of “attempting” to restore my brown FJ62 dash pad. Saw some YouTube videos and it looks like Polyvance has some of the best stuff? I purchased their plastic welding kit, pad filler and primer. Has anyone else gone down this route? My biggest question is how to replicate the original texture - if possible. Any comments or suggestions? If this works out, I will have 2 extra OEM brown dashes ready to be installed. Anyone in the market for a brown dash?
DE729EC9-B540-4741-AE71-4B27498A4612.jpeg

F3280F16-B61D-4EC6-987B-24BB8F2CA4B4.jpeg

77E31F36-E4E7-4C1F-9582-6E925323444C.jpeg

Last edited:
I have rebuilt several dash boards. I do not trust that the cracks will come back over time so I use fiberglass cloth with epoxy resin. I use SEM # 39853 texture spray with good results, then SEM color coat. Good time to fill in the old speaker holes as well.

My 62 has a absolutely mint interior, the dashboard is in immaculate shape. What can I do to stop in from cracking? Armorall? I live in a area where the sun is intense. The dashboard on my BJ is pretty good, but it has a big ole crack right where the holes are in the dash eew!

My 62 has a absolutely mint interior, the dashboard is in immaculate shape. What can I do to stop in from cracking? Armorall? I live in a area where the sun is intense. The dashboard on my BJ is pretty good, but it has a big ole crack right where the holes are in the dash eew!
Armorall has alcohol that will dry out the vinyl and make it crack prematurely. With my NOS dash I got a couple years ago, every few months I clean it with just a damp rag, then treat it with this. Two years in and the vinyl is still pliable.

Amazon product ASIN B00KN0UOEE

303 automotive protectant is supposed to be one of the best UV protectants out there

I am in the process of “attempting” to restore my brown FJ62 dash pad. Saw some YouTube videos and it looks like Polyvance has some of the best stuff? I purchased their plastic welding kit, pad filler and primer. Has anyone else gone down this route? My biggest question is how to replicate the original texture - if possible. Any comments or suggestions? If this works out, I will have 2 extra OEM brown dashes ready to be installed. Anyone in the market for a brown dash?View attachment 3040851

View attachment 3040852

View attachment 3040853
SEM makes a texture spray to replicate the grain. Can spray it on as is for a tight grain or sand lightly to flatten. Probably won't come out exactly like OEM but does look good. Here is a pic after texture was applied. Again, you can lightly sand this to achieve a flatter grain.
IMG_4419.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom