FJ62 - Chasing Gremlins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alrighty folks, looking for some help here.

BACKGROUND
I bought an FJ62 (11/89) 18 months ago, all original, running, but some rough gas mileage (below 10). Last October, she stalled out on my wife and threw a Code 51. Being experienced in oil changes ONLY, I figured, what the heck, let‘s give this a go.

I found this message board, bought some parts, and hit the ground running.

WORK DONE
I swapped the TPS per the code (and relying on tons of help from this community), and then she started up…. And died. I tried to post a video, but it’s too large. She starts up, idles high (1,200 - 1,400) and then “warms up,” drops to 1,000… and then she begins to choke, hesitate, and die.

I’ve replaced all the main air intake hoses (the rubber was beyond brittle) thinking it was a vacuum leak. I’ve changed the plugs (the ones I pulled were spec’d wrong), changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator, changed the fuel filter, cleaned the cold start injector (holy DIRTY!), cleaned the throttle body (wow!), changed the oil and filter…. And she still won‘t run. Just starts up and dies.

HELP!
Any ideas would be welcome!! Btw, I’m here in the Houston area if there are any of the community that are local (in case I need professional mechanic help!).

hey @MustangOwl , check out the clubhouse in the header at the top of the page. i think that should get you in touch with fellas in your general neighborhood. your code 51, sorry, i've got nothing on that. good luck with it. oh, n welcome to mud :flipoff2:

To post a video on this website, first upload it to YouTube then get the link when it’s ready — then paste the link in a message

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom