Fj62 block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RocketCityCrzrs

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rocketcitycruisers.com
Ugh, ok guys, in my infinite stupidity on an engine rebuild on my 3fe I used a cheap head gasket. The gasket let loose and started dumping water in cyl 5. Pulled the head off to change the gasket (and have the head cleaned and tested). When I was cleaning up the block I noticed a crack on the block between the intake/exhaust pushrod ports on cyl 2, which has not been giving me issues and the compression was good om that cylinder. The crack could have been therr when o built the motor 3 years ago buy im not sure.
So here is a picture, thoughts? Replace the block or bolt the head and roll on?

20170523_163918.jpg

wow, what I don't like is how that crack goes straight thru one of the head bolt holes...could be why you lost some clamping force...I'd have a hard time buttoning that head back to that block without fixing it(which will suck). looks like either dis-assemble and repair or find a used lower end...I have a block that was bored .50mm over by the factory; needs to go out to .75mm...what size pistons are you running in the rebuild?

Its all OE, so the pistons are toyo oe replacements (not sure of the size any more, it has been a while since i set them). This was one of those posts that i hated to make because i knew my suspicions were going to be confirmed. The block is going to have to come out...

I have 2 more bottom ends that i can check out and rebuild it just makes me sick to have to pull this one again. I am trying to figure out what the hell would have caused this because it wasnt there when i did the assembly a few years ago.

you chased all the threads out and cleaned up the bolts real good? did it ever get too hot?

I did I did, when i pulled the engine originally and rebuilt it the block was cleaned by a machine shop and checked over (new freeze plugs installed and cam bearings etc). I have been driving the truck since the rebuild in 2013 and for almost a year it was my DD. Truck never overheated and never ran bad until back in Feb of this year it started smoking like an old train and i had low compression on the 5th cylinder. Pulled the head and saw where the head gasket had cooked in the back and found our nice little crack friend here

I was thinking about trying to use my inspection camera and determine how deep into the head bolt threads the crack goes. If it is just on the surface and the bulk of the threads arent affected i would think it should still grab well. I did check when i pulled the head and all the bolts were still torqued right at 90ftlbs + or - a pound

You can stitch the block back together, but I'd bet it would be cheaper to replace it.
Metal Stitching & Thread Repair Inserts. - Turlock , CA - LOCK-N-STITCH, Inc
I wouldn't spend the time and money to reuse any parts with it, until it's repaired or replaced. That's a total failure in the making.

Sometimes blocks fail because the were overheated. Sometimes good castings go bad; nothing you can do about it.

Boat anchor. Unfortunately.

Sounds like some sweat equity to me... yeah, real 3fers keep spares, I got one working, one torn down to the block, and a spare used runner, complete with trans and transfer; not counting the actual spare parts... fj62s are gunna be as rare and sought after as the fj45s someday...

It's a disease, albeit, a heavy one.

You guys arent kidding. I have enough parts to assemble a complete 3fe and another one already assembled on the stand. The one that is in my 62 is pretty much new minus the actual block and head but all the components were refreshed. Ill just get the other block i have cleaned and transfer the crank, pistons, cam, and oil pump over then drink a beer

alot to be said about the way they were assembled at the factory...after all I've learned, I'd hesitate to take apart a running factory assembled motor anymore...Only if there was no other options...if you have a used runner, run it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom