Fj62 axles under my pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i recently attained a pair of '89 Fj62 axles that i am strongly considering putting under my pig, i think the extra width will be nice, give me a little stability and the front axle has a sway bar that i'm going to try to use, oh and the rear has e-brakes on it which i am happy about since i lost mine when i did the H55 swap. anyone else done this swap? did you move the spring perches in on the axles or outbourd the spring hangers on your pig frame? oh and i got the power steering box, pitman arm and all steering linkage from the 62 as well to use, i hope it will be a huge improvement over my '74 dog-tired scout ps box and peiced together weird steering j**p pitman and linkage....

i'm getting ready to do it. i bought proffitt's kit to outboard the front springs.

I'm not sure switching to the Fj62 power steering would be worth while if you already have scout power steering... All accounts suggest the scout puts out a lot more power assist. I am happy with the Fj 60 p.s. on my pig, but I'm running 31" tires ... My next pig will be bigger, and I intend to use the scout stuff.

i recently attained a pair of '89 Fj62 axles that i am strongly considering putting under my pig,

What an assho** :flipoff2:

I just did the swap in like march or april theres a thread on here with a lot of pics. I moved the perches out, also did a shackle reversal while I was there. I now have an issue it seems that the axle is a little offset to the drivers side so I have to go in and tweak it still but you can see what I did in that thread.

those that have done the FJ62 axle swap, do you feel like your pig is more comfortable to drive now, more stable? is it worth it to do the swap?

on the scout power steering, i have a ton of slop in my scout box, plus the pitman are apparently isn't quite right for the geometry of my steering, it just handles weird and turns too quick. i'm hoping that using the axle, linkage, pitman and box all from the same vehicle will make my rig a lot more driver friendly. plus i truly hate having J#$p parts (pitman arm and tie rod end) in my Land Cruiser and can't wait to get them out of there!

Clemson, thanks for the link.....and i can't believe that you didn't go ahead and do a spring over while you were at it, seems like the perfect time for it???

I know right, basically I'm a broke college student and couldnt afford it. I plan on doing it by this time next yr. Ill also have finished my second degree and have a real job by then too.

those that have done the FJ62 axle swap, do you feel like your pig is more comfortable to drive now, more stable? is it worth it to do the swap?

Howdy! My little Piggy is about 8 feet tall, but I don't really feel unstable :eek:until I get it around 30 degrees off kilter, lefty-righty. No problems at all running at speed on the:cool: freeway. Nice thing is that it's narrower:Dthan newer models, same as an FJ-40. Actaully, my secret is mounting the spare on the :idea:roof! John

Howdy! My little Piggy is about 8 feet tall, but I don't really feel unstable :eek:until I get it around 30 degrees off kilter, lefty-righty. No problems at all running at speed on the:cool: freeway. Nice thing is that it's narrower:Dthan newer models, same as an FJ-40. Actaully, my secret is mounting the spare on the :idea:roof! John

not quite the response that he was looking for though. he's asking how the wider axles are under the pig. 60 series axles are about 3" wider than the 40/55 series.

mookie i havent done the 60 axle swap,,,,,,yet. i have a pair in the backyard just waiting for me to do it. i have been running 2" backspace wheels since the SOA, i reckon its pretty close to the 60 axle width. i like it alot, i dont know that i noticed much improvement in stability feel, but it looks much better and the width certainly cant hurt anything. at some point in the future i am either going to swap in the 60 series axles or build a 80 series hybrid and do away with the offset rims, this is because the offset rims add some leverage and wear the bearings, specially trunnion, faster. still i seem to get about 4 yrs out of the front before a rebuild.
i would say if you want to do it thats all that matters, is it worth it? honestly i think only if you are a fair bit taller. i think just swapping to a 12.50 tire is enough for anything around or under a 4" lift.

not quite the response that he was looking for though. he's asking how the wider axles are under the pig. 60 series axles are about 3" wider than the 40/55 series.
Howdy! I too, have considered doing the 60/62 axle swap. But, for me, I don't think I can get any more stability on the road than I now have with good suspension and steering geometry. On the trail, the narrow track is an advantage in the rocks over the wider axles, especially the new FJ Cruisers. I don't really know if an extra 1.5 inches on the downhill side would really reduce the pucker factor on the extreme off camber situations. There is certainly nothing wrong with doing this swap. It's a great way to get disc brakes and power steering. It isn't too expensive if you can do your own fab work to move the perches or the spring hangers, but I don't think I would do both. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom