FJ60 V8 Conversion A/C ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those who have converted from a 2F engine over to a GM V-8:

If you retained the A/C how did you go about making the hybrid setup work? Did you reatain the Toyota condensor and just try to adapt the GM hoses to that (along with the connections at the firewall?

Seems like one would keep the GM compressor and GM Hoses, retain the Toyota compressor and (accumulator -not sure of the correct Toyota name) and then adapt the hoses where appropriate.

So if you've done this...please comment on how you approached it. I sure want A/C to work once I swap in a 350 vortec to my 1986 FJ60.
I realize it will take some modifications so I'm wondering what others may have down in this same sitatuion.

Every V8 60 I've ever had had all Toyota a/c. Why go with GM stuff? Fab compressor mount, you're home.

I'm planning on leaving all the Toy stuff except the compressor. I've talked to the local A/C shop ad they can make hoses to adapt th Toy system to the GM compressor.

Don

I have a 350 with a serpatine belt setup. which means the GM compressor has a different pulley than the normal "V" type, and also that it mounts differently, which I belive is called a "pad" mount. I do like the toyota compressor which I belive is a sanden... My 350 is a 1999 setup out of a youkon...

My plan (right now) was to leave all the toyota stuff I could and run the GM compressor. ON a 1999 GM engine, at least the one I have, the A/C compressor is on the drivers side of the engine.

I'll be looking into getting some custome hoses most likely.

Do you still use the toyota ac system to run the compressor? Or do you bypass that whole amplifier setup?

Do you still use the toyota ac system to run the compressor? Or do you bypass that whole amplifier setup?

I'm looking for answer to the same question. I just bought my first fj60, got back to Austin from Denver with it yesterday. It has a 5.3 vortec from a 2002 suburban, with the GM compressor; I imagine it still has the toyota condenser etc, but I haven't located them yet. The hoses have already been fabricated and are supposedly charged up and ready to go, but I need to work out the electrical part.

The engine swap was done by Proffitts, and supposedly they had use the tachometer outputs on the ECU to control the compressor, which the seller un-did to get the tach working. I'd like to have the blue a/c button on the dash control the airconditioner, but I'm uncertain at this point whether I can just have that button go to a relay to apply voltage to the clutch switch on the compressor or if I need to somehow get the highpressure/lowpressure switch into the equation. Any advice y'all can provide would be most appreciated!!!

I wired the tach output on my harness for the 5.3 to what was originally the tach wire on the coil. This fed a signal to the stock harness which in turn sent a signal to the tach on the dash (which I replaced with an autometer one) and the AC amplifier. I used the wire that came off of the original FJ60 harness that went to the ac compressor clutch to power the 5.3 ac compressor clutch. It works basically like stock, but is missing the idle up stuff for the 5.3 since it bypasses the ECU.

I think a few folks have done it this way, and some have ended up having to use a relay on the compressor clutch side sine the GM clutch tends to blow the fuse on the stock FJ60 circuit.

You can visit Doc's Blocks Home and get an adapter for your GM compressor. This way, you can use the same toyota hoses as on the FJ60.

I think the parts I used from Doc's are: AA0738, AA0739.

I haven't hooked up my A/C hoses yet, but I will before summer hits.

GM compressor + custom hoses. Add a couple relays & you're done.

GM compressor + custom hoses. Add a couple relays & you're done.

X2 not hard at all.

3x

mine was a after marcket a/c but I had to remove the amplifier and wire a relay to match the 5.3 signal ... I also wired mine to worj with the duel electric fans

and also wow talk about a back from the dead thread :hillbilly:

Carlie auto air in San Antonio built my hoses and charged the system .. they even retested it after I rewired it cause the shop that installed my Veeate did it wrong:rolleyes:

thanks for posting...guess what ...all I have done on this is acquire all the parts... to many other things got in the way. Plan is to get A/C working by this summer. Waiting to get clutch issue fixed and lockers and gears installed (working on that now). Next...heopefully will be nice and cold A/C. I have new GM compressor, custom hoses, new dryer. I plan to use a SPAL pusther fan on driver side of radiator to come one when compressor is engaged.

I'm planning on leaving all the Toy stuff except the compressor. I've talked to the local A/C shop ad they can make hoses to adapt th Toy system to the GM compressor.

Don
Hey dan,

I am in the process of hooking up my AC lines to the 5.3 AC compressor. Do you remember what adapter fitting you used to mate the FJ60 hose to the 5.3 compressor?

Thanks
John

IMG_1777.jpg

Have been looking into this as well and found this:

on my 5.7 I used GM OEM A/C hose(s) to mate with the GM compressor, then the other end of the hose was modified to use the Toyota fittings. This allowed a simple bolt on application after that. In my approach I used the GM OEM A/C hose off a 97 GM pickup, I think it would be the same for any of the suv's or trucks with 5.7 engine of that year model range with 5.7 vortec.

So as a follow on to this post.. I used overall the GM OEM A/C compressor with modified GM OEM primary A/C hose that was modifed on one end to attach to the toyota truck and the other side was left alone as it was GM already. As I recall that one toyota fitting that mates with the condensor is rather unique. I used a new dryer and retained R-12.

Thats a good option, I'm sure.

I had forgotten about this thread, I'll post up some pics showing the approach I used, but again mine is for a 5.7 vortec rather than the 5.3 series. I think I posted up some info in another thread but anyway may help someone along they way.

I ordered their adapters last night.

for some reason the board seems to be acting up. But in reply to post #9 above. I did follow his advice , but I ran the compressor control wire to a relay which then energizes the GM A/C compressor. I know this is old but it may be helpful to some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom