FJ60 rear recovery point (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
I need a rear recovery point.  I don't hold a lot of faith in the ball hitch mounted now  :slap:.  
Can I just take a standard tow hook, and mount it on the rear of the frame, just by drilling 2 holes for the bolts?  Does anyone advise not to do this?
It would be mounted along the vertical/inside part of the frame (not the bottom/horizontal plane)
I aint got much money, but safety is safety right?
Any other options (cheap  :dunno: )

yes. but i would try to find a used gm hook from a 88-98 4x4 wont stick down as far and if you want you could "cut" it out through the bumper.

I just did this. I got two "bent style" (pretty low profile) tow hooks (think they're off an FJ62) used from cruiserparts.net ($10 apiece). Since there were some stock holes there already along the bottom of the rails, I only had to drill one new hole apiece.

The hook part is right under the bumper (actually sticks out about 3/4", I think). They do protrude a bit below the rear bumper (maybe 1.25"), but that's less than my muffler and ball hitch protrude, so I figure it's okay. (They're there more for pulling those OTHER guys out, not me, heh heh!)

One thing about mounting on the side of the rail: you don't want your tow strap rubbing on your rail, bumper, whatever, when you're yanking--it could just cut it.

I used the hook as a template to mark the other hole, then used a regular 1/2" drill bit and some oil to keep it cool (even so, after a while it was smokin'! and you gotta love sharp, hot metal flakes falling on your arm as you work!).

With all the surface rust/grime/crap I have in the back, it was nice to see that fresh steel inside the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom