FJ60 rear recovery point

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Man Jerk, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

I need a rear recovery point.  I don't hold a lot of faith in the ball hitch mounted now  :slap:.  
    Can I just take a standard tow hook, and mount it on the rear of the frame, just by drilling 2 holes for the bolts?  Does anyone advise not to do this?
    It would be mounted along the vertical/inside part of the frame (not the bottom/horizontal plane)
    I aint got much money, but safety is safety right?
    Any other options (cheap  :dunno: )

2. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    yes. but i would try to find a used gm hook from a 88-98 4x4 wont stick down as far and if you want you could "cut" it out through the bumper.

3. Jman

Jman

I just did this. I got two "bent style" (pretty low profile) tow hooks (think they're off an FJ62) used from cruiserparts.net ($10 apiece). Since there were some stock holes there already along the bottom of the rails, I only had to drill one new hole apiece.

The hook part is right under the bumper (actually sticks out about 3/4", I think). They do protrude a bit below the rear bumper (maybe 1.25"), but that's less than my muffler and ball hitch protrude, so I figure it's okay. (They're there more for pulling those OTHER guys out, not me, heh heh!)

One thing about mounting on the side of the rail: you don't want your tow strap rubbing on your rail, bumper, whatever, when you're yanking--it could just cut it.

4. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

I was looking behind the bumper last night, and found sed holes in frame. That'll make things a whole lot easier.

Thanks.

5. Jman

Jman

I used the hook as a template to mark the other hole, then used a regular 1/2" drill bit and some oil to keep it cool (even so, after a while it was smokin'! and you gotta love sharp, hot metal flakes falling on your arm as you work!).

With all the surface rust/grime/crap I have in the back, it was nice to see that fresh steel inside the frame.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.