FJ60 PS article reference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
In what TT issue was Mark W's FJ60 PS conversion article? There's a lot of reference to this article, but can't find the specifics.

Also, any other online refernces to this conversion?

Scott
It's the JulyAugust 2003 with the FJ55 coming out of the barn on the cover. I've been comtemplating this swap myself, which is why this was at my finger tips. I've even collected all the parts for it, but just not sure whether I need this style, or the mini-truck.

let me know if you need a copy.

I did the full FJ60 PS conversion on my FJ45 and it rocks. Makes it so much nicer to drive and park I find myself driving it alot more.

I think there are more tips and tricks to it than mark put in the article, but I was able to get the box in there with a modified stock shock tower, no welding of a 3/4" thick plate on the frame, but with a radiator shifted over about 3/4". Its all about preferance I guess. Plenty of toyotas and nissans in the junkyards have the same spline/diameter steering box shaft, so look there too for the shaft from the column to the box.

FJ70 pitman arm reduces the drop compared to the FJ60 one.

Have 60 p/s in my 40.
I looked at various options and decided on 60 because it gave better wheel clearance. Like the ratio (4.5 turns) also as it's drivable if the p/s stops working - I've done a full trip since the conversion with no p/s and while it was hard work it was still drivable.

Happy to answer any questions.

Ditto... but left hand drive. I thought mine steered easier with the 60 box without the pump hooked up than it did with the factory strong arm steering.

Anyone have any clearance pictures? Where exactly does the PS box sit? Is there a bracket or is it just welded on? What kind of shock tower changes are required?

I have very little room on the port side frame in the hood. I have a 3F-E in my FJ40 and the exhust manifold(s) sticks out significantly further than those of the 2F. With the 3F-E my 2F alternator is also low port side of the engine too swung way out. Would I conceivably have room?

I've been considering the mini-PS convo just because it'd be the easiest sol'n here, but believe I may have 35" tire fitment issues.

I will try and get some pics of mine today. I have a low left side mount F engine alternator location and its fine with the steering box and shaft.

I cut away part of the shock tower, and welded in a 3/8" plate for re-inforceing and it looks stock until you get right up to it and check it out.

I did not remove the stock shock tower from the frame, modified it in place, and the steering box flange area where the mounting holes are is about 1/16" of an inch from touching... only had to trim the inner fender, and sligghtly tweak theback part of the early style bib light.

I will try and get some pics of mine today. I have a low left side mount F engine alternator location and its fine with the steering box and shaft.

I cut away part of the shock tower, and welded in a 3/8" plate for re-inforceing and it looks stock until you get right up to it and check it out.

I did not remove the stock shock tower from the frame, modified it in place, and the steering box flange area where the mounting holes are is about 1/16" of an inch from touching... only had to trim the inner fender, and sligghtly tweak theback part of the early style bib light.

Thread revival, what steering damper are you guys running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom