FJ60 Gas Tank Recall Documentation and VIN Check Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
I'm posting the dealer recall letter to my Google Drive folder and hosting it there for anyone to download and use for your own purposes. There is a lot of misinformation about this recall so best to provide the actual facts as they are currently situation for the US market in 2020.

I am also offering to check your VIN against the Toyota database to see if your recall has been done already (basically to see if you qualify to have it done for free or for a reduced cost through your local dealer).

Now, whether your local dealer honors the recall or does it for free/reduced pricing is up to the local dealer and region in which you reside. I will not say that you can get it done for free as I have seen other dealers charge owners for the labor and provide the parts for free or vice versa.

Some of the part numbers on the list have been discontinued thus workarounds will need to be done (basically some hoses). Some dealers won't do a recall if parts are discontinued; some dealers won't do the recall at all and make you buy the parts. So, it's really inconsistent unfortunately based on the region you are in. Sometimes, I have seen people complain to Toyota directly and get some results.

In any event, here is the document.

If you are unsure about whether the recall has been done, please contact me directly and I can provide you with the information necessary so you can provide to your dealer to have the work done.

I can also provide parts procurement services if you want to go in this direction as well.

For FJ62 owners, unfortunately the gas tank is discontinued from Toyota and no longer available. I recommend an aftermarket tank from Long Range Automotive as a good option.

Best.
-onur

Last edited:
There are currently 30 60 series gas tanks in the US:

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 14.51.01.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 14.51.08.png

@Onur Hooked me up with checking my VIN and helping me sort a new tank. Thx brother!

I can point some you to a dealer near Houston if you qualify that did to for me for free....no hassles.

I'm posting the dealer recall letter to my Google Drive folder and hosting it there for anyone to download and use for your own purposes. There is a lot of misinformation about this recall so best to provide the actual facts as they are currently situation for the US market in 2020.

I am also offering to check your VIN against the Toyota database to see if your recall has been done already (basically to see if you qualify to have it done for free or for a reduced cost through your local dealer).

Now, whether your local dealer honors the recall or does it for free/reduced pricing is up to the local dealer and region in which you reside. I will not say that you can get it done for free as I have seen other dealers charge owners for the labor and provide the parts for free or vice versa.

Some of the part numbers on the list have been discontinued thus workarounds will need to be done (basically some hoses). Some dealers won't do a recall if parts are discontinued; some dealers won't do the recall at all and make you buy the parts. So, it's really inconsistent unfortunately based on the region you are in. Sometimes, I have seen people complain to Toyota directly and get some results.

In any event, here is the document.

If you are unsure about whether the recall has been done, please contact me directly and I can provide you with the information necessary so you can provide to your dealer to have the work done.

I can also provide parts procurement services if you want to go in this direction as well.

For FJ62 owners, unfortunately the gas tank is discontinued from Toyota and no longer available. I recommend an aftermarket tank from Long Range Automotive as a good option.

Best.
-onur

Hi, I am new the the FJ60 ownership, MUD and lucky enough to live close to @CenTXFJ60. Jimmy looked over my new purchase and started me on the rabbit trail of the fuel tank and outboard rear seat belt guide recalls. I have some questions about the best way to go about getting the 2 issues fixed.
I have called my local Toyota dealership and talked to a service manager (?) and they said according to my VIN the tank recall and seat belts have not been done but my 1984 FJ60 is to old and they can’t parts. I then called the Toyota 1-800-331-4331 someone (you?) posted and the service adviser suggested i can escalate the case and gave me a case number. Im waiting on the return call from Toyota and wanting to get my ducks in a row so i can confidently and factually make my case for the recall fixes. If you happen to know how many tanks are available would be a huge help. April 2020 a post was showing 30 in the states? And any advice on the outboard rear seat belt guides you can point me toward would be awesome too. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I am new the the FJ60 ownership, MUD and lucky enough to live close to @CenTXFJ60. Jimmy looked over my new purchase and started me on the rabbit trail of the fuel tank and outboard rear seat belt guide recalls. I have some questions about the best way to go about getting the 2 issues fixed.
I have called my local Toyota dealership and talked to a service manager (?) and they said according to my VIN the tank recall and seat belts have not been done but my 1984 FJ60 is to old and they can’t parts. I then called the Toyota 1-800-331-4331 someone (you?) posted and the service adviser suggested i can escalate the case and gave me a case number. Im waiting on the return call from Toyota and wanting to get my ducks in a row so i can confidently and factually make my case for the recall fixes. If you happen to know how many tanks are available would be a huge help. April 2020 a post was showing 30 in the states? And any advice on the outboard rear seat belt guides you can point me toward would be awesome too. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
where are you in TX? I live in The Woodlands and had a dealer near me do it without a problem about 2 years ago. The few hoses in the hose kit that were not available they simply made up.

Austin. Well within a drive to the Woodlands
Here you go. I posted my documentation in the thread below.... When I went I was all loaded up with documentation from mud members expecting to have to argue with them but they just ordered the parts and called me a few days later and even put fresh gas in it. I went ahead and paid for a pickup as yours is probably a rusty mess.

My Toyota service department just accepted my recall appointment for next week in Hawai'i.

Anything I need to ensure or ask before they begin the work? I would hate for them to tear parts off old parts and not have new parts to replace.

My Toyota service department just accepted my recall appointment for next week in Hawai'i.

Anything I need to ensure or ask before they begin the work? I would hate for them to tear parts off old parts and not have new parts to replace.
Get a new sender unit for them to install and maybe rubber fuel line.

I'm glad they are willing to do it. :rofl:I called on Monday and apparently the original PO was "Johnny on the spot" with getting the gas tank and seat belt recall done. It was done on August 1992 and they provided me with case number.

Unfortunately, the 62 tank is discontinued from Toyota.

Wow.. thanks so much for doing this. I'll msg you tomorrow with my VIN info. Mine is a 1990 FJ62.. so I'm wondering what options are available for servicing? I've had intermittent issues with very strong gas vapor entering the cabin from the rear passenger area (by the tank inlet and vapor recovery device).. and am now wondering if this tank issue has something to do with it. I realize the tank may be discontinued by Toyota, but are they offering any type of work-around for the FJ62 vehicles?.. even if it may involve some out-of-pocket costs? Thanks again for this info. -J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom