Fuel tank recall completion underway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny story...so I mentioned that they were doing mine no problem. When I got home I ran all the part numbers from the kit part number that they originally had at the time of the recall all came up as available except a couple of the hose part numbers. When the service manager called me to tell me that they were ready for me to bring it in she said corp had called about the missing part numbers and said that they might have to purchase the vehicle from me. She told them that she was pretty sure I didn't want to sell the vehicle and they could just make the hoses and they authorized it. I dropped it off Friday before leaving for a soccer tournament and expect to pick it up Monday or Tuesday.

Done....even put fresh gas in it for me. Cost me $209...dealer cost for the fuel pickup. I have seen too many on here all nasty to want to risk putting mine back in a fresh new tank.

Ok, I'm officially jealous. I was flat denied by one local dealer due to the fact that a few of the part numbers for the recall were unavailable/discontinued for the '84 60. They claimed to have contacted regional service rep (or some s***e) and again flat denied doing the recall even though the parts guy claimed he could sub bulk OEM hose for the discontinued part numbers. They did give me the phone contact for the vehicle buyback BS, though I never bothered to contact them. I suppose I could be persuaded to accept a new 200 Series in trade, but somehow I don't think that's what they have in mind. If anyone is willing to post up an invoice showing the job done, under recall, and including part numbers, that might go a long way for some of us that are having issues with our local dealers. The main issue seems to be that Toyota wont pay the dealership for the work if the complete recall parts package isn't available (so they say), and I can totally understand them not wanting to do the job for free if Toyota wont cover it. If there's evidence of other dealers doing the job, and getting and getting covered by Toyota, maybe it will help, it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm officially jealous. I was flat denied by one local dealer due to the fact that a few of the part numbers for the recall were unavailable/discontinued for the '84 60. They claimed to have contacted regional service rep (or some s***e) and again flat denied doing the recall even though the parts guy claimed he could sub bulk OEM hose for the discontinued part numbers. They did give me the phone contact for the vehicle buyback BS, though I never bothered to contact them. I suppose I could be persuaded to accept a new 200 Series in trade, but somehow I don't think that's what they have in mind. If anyone is willing to post up an invoice showing the job done, under recall, and including part numbers, that might go a long way for some of us that are having issues with our local dealers. The main issue seems to be that Toyota wont pay the dealership for the work if the complete recall parts package isn't available (so they say), and I can totally understand them not wanting to do the job for free if Toyota wont cover it. If there's evidence of other dealers doing the job, and getting and getting covered by Toyota, maybe it will help, it's worth a shot.

Sounds like you have a dealer problem. Mine was very accommodating. You will see the only charge I got was for the sending unit, which I could of gotten a bit cheaper had I sourced it myself, but I figured spending an extra $100 was not big deal in the grand scheme of things. I would drive a town over and be ready with this in hand and tell them how you were treated at the other dealer and you are looking for a dealer to you can trust....

They also did the seatbelts in the rear. I haven't looked really hard to see exactly what they did, but was told they had to do all recalls when it was in or they would get in trouble.

tankrec1.jpeg

tankrec2.jpeg

Thank you John! I'll update if I get anywhere on this.

True, but it still all comes down to the fine print and money.

This is true, corporate America does like money - for the worse these days, I would argue.

The fine print is where things get murky. I've seen paperwork from NHTSA that could be used by either the consumer or the dealer to either confirm or discredit the service requirement. It's a raw deal any way you cut it.

Wow - I just got through emailing with Limbaugh Toyota here in Birmingham (they were willing to do the gas tank) and after sending in the VIN found out my tank was replaced at Reinhardt in Montgomery in 1994.

Then they should make it right and install a LRA replacement tank
Sorry.. but what is an "LRA replacement tank"???
I have a 1990 FJ62 in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, and I think I may need to have this done.
I have this weird intermittent heavy fuel vapor entering the cabin from rear passenger area (by tank fill),
and once has a little gas leak from same area. Thanks again..

Check the hoses on the big vapor block (can’t remember proper name) on the rear passenger quarter panel. Remove the interior panel and replace all the spaghetti hoses connected to it.

That little block is bad about developing rusty pinholes in the hose barbs as well. Check it all out, and if you need the block, call Classic Cruisers. The block is NLA but last time I was at Classic he had a bucket of those blocks.

That little block is bad about developing rusty pinholes in the hose barbs as well. Check it all out, and if you need the block, call Classic Cruisers. The block is NLA but last time I was at Classic he had a bucket of those blocks.
I think it’s this part, fuel evaporative separator? I think I’ve read at this age, and due to fuel additives, it’d be worthwhile to replace all fuel lines and hose clamps? Just standard fuel line hose? Or fuel-injection? Anyone know hose sizes off top of head? I might just start at the tank and start replacing hose and move forward. 🤔 Thanks!!

90AE5567-3985-4B91-A54E-818A74652F8E.jpeg

Those can fail, but this is the part I was referring to. This creates the connections for the tank to connect to the separator you showed.

1614012521957.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom