FJ60 Dash Switch Blanks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
I am wanting to put some USB ports in my FJ60. I purchased a USB setup for a some sort of Toyota van. The USB setup almost fits into the dash switch blanks. Here is the switch blank my cruiser has:

IMG_3052.jpg

My question here is are these the only switch bezels available for the FJ60 dash, or are these just switch blanks for non-existent options and there is actually another insert available for use with an actual switch or other option? Meaning are these just blanks and if you want to add say a light switch or something, there is another insert you need to get or do the switch blanks also serve as switch mounts? I can modify the blanks to accommodate the USB plugs I got, but I am wondering if there are some available that will readily accommodate the plugs I got. My blanks just slip right out of the dash so it leads me to believe there is something else you would use for use with a switch or accessory that would actually clip into the dash instead of being so easily removed. Thanks in advance for any help here.

I am wanting to put some USB ports in my FJ60. I purchased a USB setup for a some sort of Toyota van. The USB setup almost fits into the dash switch blanks. Here is the switch blank my cruiser has:

View attachment 1605429

My question here is are these the only switch bezels available for the FJ60 dash, or are these just switch blanks for non-existent options and there is actually another insert available for use with an actual switch or other option? Meaning are these just blanks and if you want to add say a light switch or something, there is another insert you need to get or do the switch blanks also serve as switch mounts? I can modify the blanks to accommodate the USB plugs I got, but I am wondering if there are some available that will readily accommodate the plugs I got. My blanks just slip right out of the dash so it leads me to believe there is something else you would use for use with a switch or accessory that would actually clip into the dash instead of being so easily removed. Thanks in advance for any help here.
They are open blanks that are used for non-US spec vehicle items. I do not believe I have seen that blanks available from any of the normal seller but as towards a non-US spec switch going in there, yes there are some floating around on different sites, mainly Ebay.

If you take your time, you can measure that blanks and find different ones to fit from other older Toyota vehicles. Or do like many of us and take stock switches (say the rear defrost switch) and modify the wiring to control what you need (lockers, lights, etc.).

So then with the blank I have pictured, you could put an FJ60 defrost switch in for example and it would fit in the blank without modification? Meaning there is not a blank that is just that: A blank, and then another different type of insert that you would use if you wanted to actually mount a switch in the dash. I guess I am asking is there only one type of switch mounting insert for these trucks. Or if you wanted to fit a switch you would not use the blank at all. You would remove it, then whatever switch you have would fit directly in the blank spot.

So then with the blank I have pictured, you could put an FJ60 defrost switch in for example and it would fit in the blank without modification? Meaning there is not a blank that is just that: A blank, and then another different type of insert that you would use if you wanted to actually mount a switch in the dash. I guess I am asking is there only one type of switch mounting insert for these trucks. Or if you wanted to fit a switch you would not use the blank at all. You would remove it, then whatever switch you have would fit directly in the blank spot.

You are correct from my findings... the only two odd "blanks" are the circular one that is right above the gas pedal, this is a blank specifically for the hand throttle that was found on many aftermarket models or those that came with PTO winches, and then there is the large rectangular blank next to the ignition. I believe this is only present in old 60 models (85-87) as it was the location used for the 4HI switch in the 62. Need a 62 owner to confirm though.

So I had a second today and found this through CruiserParts. Looks to be slightly different than the one I have which leads me to believe there were different types. Maybe a dash blank like I have, then another dash blank type like the one CruiserParts has, then you would just remove these if you wanted a switch and any switch accessory would simply fit in the open slot normally filled by the blank. My blanks all have a pre-punched hole in them which I assumed were for being able to use the blank with an actual accessory. The more I look around though it seems as though accessory switches fit into the blank slot in the dash (hole the blank fits into), indicating the blanks are not used if an accessory is in that slot. Maybe the CruiserParts one is something they made/sourced themselves and are selling as replacement blanks. Theirs looks to clip in so it may work for my needs better than the one I have. Guessing here so any confirmation is appreciated.

Since I am after USB ports in here, does anyone know of USB ports that will fit into the dash holes as is. Right now the USB setup I got will not fit in those OEM holes without using one of the blanks as support frame. So I would use a blank to fit into the OEM dash hole, and then fit the USB setup into the blank by cutting a hole that fits the USB plugs. If there was a ready made USB plug setup that someone knows of that fits directly into the OEM dash hole without the blank, that would be a cleaner option to me. Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone confirmed if a rear wiper switch or any other dash switch fits into that blank behind the ignition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom