FJ40 long range use?

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
And for clarification, this left home as a two seater rig. I removed the stock bolts for the seat hinges and replaced them with knurled knobs over a decade ago so that I can remove the upper seat cushion in about one minute. Which is exactly what I did when I hit camp in DV. Tossed the cushion on the roofrack and strapped it down for the duration.

Last edited:
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
I plan making at least one long range trip with my FJ40 when I get it running.

1651244063469.png

It will be me and my 50# dog, Lela.

I made a similar trip, without a dog, in a sidecar motorcycle back in the mid-90s. Tent or primitive camping along the way. Plenty of room, if you have low expectations. Going to keep off the main roads, and take fuel stops as part of the experience. Love stopping at the small places people live all throughout the world. People tend to be more real there, and I always learn a lot.

flx

And for clarification, this left home as a two seater rig. I removed the stock bolts for the seat hinges and replaced them with knurled knobs over a decade ago so that I can remove the upper seat cushion in about one minute. Which is exactly what I did when I hit camp in DV. Tossed the cushion on the roofrack and strapped it down for the duration.
Ah thanks I was wondering that!

I think it would be harder (or at least more parts to lose) to do properly on my model of bench (73-78) as for the hinges there is a bolt + a Teflon washer + a Teflon sleeve around the bolt. And if both Teflon parts are not there the backrest of the bench just wiggles around.
1651523026128.png

In the meantime I received my foam pad to fill the height gap.
1651523656792.png

Should work nicely but won't be able to test in real condition before the end of the month finally so I got carried away in doing some mechanical work :playful:

I am toying with the idea of a lighter rooftop tent up top. Here in AZ too many critters on the ground that I would like to avoid. Or maybe a light Offroad type trailer? What can a 40 pull? Lots of good stuff in this thread👍

Go fast had an ultra-light RTT version that was 80lbs all in... which is really lightweight.

I pulled a trailer for years the 40 is less than stellar at performing that task. If you go the trailer route I would only think about 3 things, light-weight, light-weight and light-weight. If you have a V8 conversion than my advice changes a little but the short wheel base and the 1F/2F engines don't make for a great tow rig. If you're hitting the highway full time, then it might not drive you nuts. Off road or in the mountains and trailers feel like an anchor IMHO.

Go fast had an ultra-light RTT version that was 80lbs all in... which is really lightweight.

I pulled a trailer for years the 40 is less than stellar at performing that task. If you go the trailer route I would only think about 3 things, light-weight, light-weight and light-weight. If you have a V8 conversion than my advice changes a little but the short wheel base and the 1F/2F engines don't make for a great tow rig. If you're hitting the highway full time, then it might not drive you nuts. Off road or in the mountains and trailers feel like an anchor IMHO.
Thanks for your input on this, thinking lightest RTT like a 23 Zero, smallest Walkabout model. And if trailer, something like a Turtleback, they are made here in Chandler, AZ. Loaded up they are typically well under 3000 lbs. Like you though, I like the idea of pulling nothing at all👍

Thanks for your input on this, thinking lightest RTT like a 23 Zero, smallest Walkabout model. And if trailer, something like a Turtleback, they are made here in Chandler, AZ. Loaded up they are typically well under 3000 lbs. Like you though, I like the idea of pulling nothing at all👍
Fwiw my trailer was under 1,000 pounds wet and loaded... 3K would be a ball and chain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom