FJ40 long range use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And for clarification, this left home as a two seater rig. I removed the stock bolts for the seat hinges and replaced them with knurled knobs over a decade ago so that I can remove the upper seat cushion in about one minute. Which is exactly what I did when I hit camp in DV. Tossed the cushion on the roofrack and strapped it down for the duration.

Last edited:
I plan making at least one long range trip with my FJ40 when I get it running.

1651244063469.png

It will be me and my 50# dog, Lela.

I made a similar trip, without a dog, in a sidecar motorcycle back in the mid-90s. Tent or primitive camping along the way. Plenty of room, if you have low expectations. Going to keep off the main roads, and take fuel stops as part of the experience. Love stopping at the small places people live all throughout the world. People tend to be more real there, and I always learn a lot.

Here's camping in another Toyota product. You just slide the front seats forward and it's long enough. Enjoy.

0004A69B-955F-42AA-B225-ABDC84BD3DB4.jpeg

Full 39” wide king-sized comfort.😊

And for clarification, this left home as a two seater rig. I removed the stock bolts for the seat hinges and replaced them with knurled knobs over a decade ago so that I can remove the upper seat cushion in about one minute. Which is exactly what I did when I hit camp in DV. Tossed the cushion on the roofrack and strapped it down for the duration.
Ah thanks I was wondering that!

I think it would be harder (or at least more parts to lose) to do properly on my model of bench (73-78) as for the hinges there is a bolt + a Teflon washer + a Teflon sleeve around the bolt. And if both Teflon parts are not there the backrest of the bench just wiggles around.
1651523026128.png

In the meantime I received my foam pad to fill the height gap.
1651523656792.png

Should work nicely but won't be able to test in real condition before the end of the month finally so I got carried away in doing some mechanical work :playful:

I am toying with the idea of a lighter rooftop tent up top. Here in AZ too many critters on the ground that I would like to avoid. Or maybe a light Offroad type trailer? What can a 40 pull? Lots of good stuff in this thread👍

Go fast had an ultra-light RTT version that was 80lbs all in... which is really lightweight.

I pulled a trailer for years the 40 is less than stellar at performing that task. If you go the trailer route I would only think about 3 things, light-weight, light-weight and light-weight. If you have a V8 conversion than my advice changes a little but the short wheel base and the 1F/2F engines don't make for a great tow rig. If you're hitting the highway full time, then it might not drive you nuts. Off road or in the mountains and trailers feel like an anchor IMHO.

Go fast had an ultra-light RTT version that was 80lbs all in... which is really lightweight.

I pulled a trailer for years the 40 is less than stellar at performing that task. If you go the trailer route I would only think about 3 things, light-weight, light-weight and light-weight. If you have a V8 conversion than my advice changes a little but the short wheel base and the 1F/2F engines don't make for a great tow rig. If you're hitting the highway full time, then it might not drive you nuts. Off road or in the mountains and trailers feel like an anchor IMHO.
Thanks for your input on this, thinking lightest RTT like a 23 Zero, smallest Walkabout model. And if trailer, something like a Turtleback, they are made here in Chandler, AZ. Loaded up they are typically well under 3000 lbs. Like you though, I like the idea of pulling nothing at all👍

Thanks for your input on this, thinking lightest RTT like a 23 Zero, smallest Walkabout model. And if trailer, something like a Turtleback, they are made here in Chandler, AZ. Loaded up they are typically well under 3000 lbs. Like you though, I like the idea of pulling nothing at all👍
Fwiw my trailer was under 1,000 pounds wet and loaded... 3K would be a ball and chain.

Last edited:
Agree on 3k being ridiculous…don’t even think about trailering that much Weight.

So, finally had the opportunity to test my setup over a 4 days WE for our national 40 series gathering:

1654205642390.png

1654205743361.png

1654205817809.png

1654205930733.png

1654206062493.png

The setup works really well for stealth camping or when in transit.
The possibility to sit inside even when the bed is set is a nice bonus (if your floor is not full of things...).
Really quick to setup.
Easy to adjust the ventilation / heat with the 2 fronts windows.
No structure, only boxes, so if you stay for sometime somewhere it's very easy and quick to remove the boxes and gain back the utility of the space / 7 seats. I actually used that this WE, some members came tp the meeting even if their 40 was not running so I removed my boxes on the spot and 4 extra passengers hopped inside for most of the wheeling days and we had a lot of fun.

Sounds like an awesome trip! I always wanted to do something similar in a 40. I like the logistical challenge. Done something similar a couple of times in my 60. Once with a club (Thank GOD) and once alone. I look at traveling in these vehicles the same way I would a backpacking trip. Only with wheels. Which is to say I try to bring absolutely only what is necessary. I think Everything I pack in my 60 would fit in a 40. Heavy on life sustaining items (water, food, fuel/fluids) that can be containerized. I think all personal gear (clothing, personal hygiene, etc) should be kept in a rucksack or something you could otherwise throw on your back if you have to un-ass the vehicle and walk. A separate waterproof duffel bag for sleeping arrangements (tent, sleeping bag, etc). Cooking stuff gets it’s own container, and I pack lightly for that. I’m not Wolfgang Puck…

Spare parts (belts, hoses, various sizes of bolts, twine, spare gas cap, and a tie-rod end) should/could fit in a small/medium box or bag. People pack for every eventuality and end up taking too much stuff. Of course, you’ll be happy you had it if you need it.

Tools are a really touchy subject. Take what you need, but I’d be careful about taking so much that you need multiple containers for them. Obviously judgment is your guide here, based on your experiences.

I like roof racks for that kind of travel because it keeps my interior as free of detritus as possible, minimizing the potential for clutter and stuff flying around in an emergency. But only light stuff goes up top. Goes without saying everything inside the vehicle is lashed down or otherwise secured.

I pay close attention to GVWR as well. Road miles and even fire-road miles are NOT the same. Take a close looks at your tires and suspension. YMMV Good luck!!!

ps: please ignore the bungees on the roof rack. I know better now!
ADAE45A7-A108-43C7-8481-57AAF9C3BD86.jpeg

Nice 60. Minimalism is necessary, as Chris Shontz has said; “think like a backpacker”! Correct logic for a 40 or in his case a Jeep.👍

Mark, you dont need to use seatbelt while sleeping.
Fix, nice set up, love the kitchen under tarp right out back of 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom