FJ40- help identifying parts and electrical (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
working on my ‘65 FJ40 and hoping someone can help me with a few questions.

1. I have these wholes on the side of my upper side panels. Any idea if this is original or did someone want basic air flow?

2. I am looking to get exhaust system. Any recommendations and what parts I need (bolts, seal,..)

3. I rebuilt my heater but I found out it was never hooked up. Any photo reference on how it should connect with the electric?

Thanks!

4B5C3C49-5A1B-4D2A-94E5-D5F33F78DD40.jpeg

15E55DB8-3FDF-441D-83D2-E32161AD464A.jpeg

6B92A956-A5D4-4A87-8F57-1015CFBF583C.jpeg

95ED7803-4933-4AEB-8E19-39517CA66579.jpeg

5C966B80-D135-4432-9189-31519625DEBF.jpeg

Holes in top are not original.
Your interior heater box is from a later model 40. It has no electrical connections. Under the hood is the blower motor that gets an electrical connection.
Nothing special for exhaust. I just got a whole new exhaust from header back for less than $400.

Judging by the steering wheel, centre button, dash knobs, the heater, the 4 speed shift cane and the 2F intake manifold showing above the header collector, amongst others, you have a '75+ model Cruiser and incorrect early corrugated sides with a bunch of holes drilled into it (which it should not have). I would get the correct later sides and hard top to match your year and sell the early stuff (if without rot at a good price) to a person who has an early Fj40.

The ribbed dash indicates a 67 or earlier tub.
No. Lasted until at least '72. I have an untouched survivor '72 FJ40 and and untouched '72 FJ43 which is being restored, both have ribbed dashes -

FJ40

Screenshot_20220807-194203_Photos.jpg

FJ43

Screenshot_20220807-193959_Photos.jpg

With that said, the two bolt holes on the side suggest an earlier latch for the windscreen. So i was wrong on that account. Ultimately, seems we have parts of different years mixed up.

No. Lasted until at least '72. I have an untouched survivor '72 FJ40 and and untouched '72 FJ43 which is being restored, both have ribbed dashes -

FJ40

View attachment 3080385

FJ43

View attachment 3080386

With that said, the two bolt holes on the side suggest an earlier latch for the windscreen. So i was wrong on that account. Ultimately, seems we have parts of different years mixed up.

US market ribs on the dash ended with the 67 model. My 9/67 first month of the 68 model has no ribs and a padded dash. The later ribbed dashes are different 68 on and used the same threaded bolts to hold up the windshield not the earlier latch.

US market ribs on the dash ended with the 67 model. My 9/67 first month of the 68 model has no ribs and a padded dash. The later ribbed dashes are different 68 on and used the same threaded bolts to hold up the windshield not the earlier latch.

Correct. 1966/1967 was a big change year for vehicles in USA. Padded dash was one of them. Toyota probably had stock of ribbed and used them up for rest of world that did not have that requirement.

I would not agree. Ribs are the same throughout up to the '72 at least in the rest of the world markets, compare my 64 Fj40 and the '66 FJ45V's dashes as a reference -

Screenshot_20220807-203653_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220807-204538_WhatsApp.jpg

and you will see all is the same, even the layout of the knobs in a row low down, save for the room light knob's position which moved towards the middle and the fresh air vent control which came in.

Holes in top are not original.
Your interior heater box is from a later model 40. It has no electrical connections. Under the hood is the blower motor that gets an electrical connection.
Nothing special for exhaust. I just got a whole new exhaust from header back for less than $400.
Where did you get your exhaust from?

Local exhaust shop built it for me. They had the truck for 4 hours and it cost $360.

I would not agree. Ribs are the same throughout up to the '72 at least in the rest of the world markets, compare my 64 Fj40 and the '66 FJ45V's dashes as a reference -

View attachment 3080435
and you will see all is the same, even the layout of the knobs in a row low down, save for the room light knob's position which moved towards the middle and the fresh air vent control which came in.

Was referring to system used to hold the windshield upright. That would not apply to the FJ45LV. This is the latch on my 65 FJ45LP-B.
20220807_121831.jpg

Which is.different than the system used on the 68+ system. Here is the bracket on the dash of a 82 FJ40 which stayed the same
20220807_121655.jpg

Different is on models without a padded dash there is a cover where the bolt with a knob was to cover the threads.

The four door FJ45LV sas replaced on the 68 model with the FJ55. 68 FJ40 used different switches/knobs for headlight and wipers. Believe that wiring changed in other markets still using a ribbed dash. Same with the choke and throttle knobs.

Was referring to system used to hold the windshield upright. That would not apply to the FJ45LV. This is the latch on my 65 FJ45LP-B.
View attachment 3080480
Which is.different than the system used on the 68+ system. Here is the bracket on the dash of a 82 FJ40 which stayed the same
View attachment 3080481
Different is on models without a padded dash there is a cover where the bolt with a knob was to cover the threads.

The four door FJ45LV sas replaced on the 68 model with the FJ55. 68 FJ40 used different switches/knobs for headlight and wipers. Believe that wiring changed in other markets still using a ribbed dash. Same with the choke and throttle knobs.
Yes, the latches I know of and mentioned earlier. Also, keep in mind that RHD 45 wagons are designated FJ45V. The L designates LHD, a deviation from the standard RHD as is used in Japan to this day.

Knobs, wiring and connectors also changed around '68 and then again around '74 again before the final change in around '80/81.

But we are now really messing up the OP's thread. My apologies for my part in this

It's OK, there are a bunch of new ones and the ones pictured were just stuck into random holes for the trip. The correct room light switch and Vader light cover (the mounting ring can just about be seen) were safely packed away

I know the set screws can get siezed and buggered up and some times the knob and pull stalk seize together from electrolysis’ dis-similar metal corrosion , the super early first Gen. Pull type wiper switches had a carbon steel stalk and the knob the female aluminum threaded insert did not like each other very much I have experienced , oddly enough the later Phillips head set screws are made from super high carbon steel so dam hard you cannot drill them out except with a Milwaukee brand Cobalt grade high end top shelf drill bit , and you only get 1 Rodeo out of that $6+ bit too ….

Thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate it.

I do realize not all the parts are accurate to the age but want to stick with what I have since I already invested time and money fixing them.

For the exhaust system, are there any pre assembled ones available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom