FJ40 hardtop - movable storage and workbench (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Always searching for more room in the garage, and cutting deeper and deeper into my truck's rear end and needing to remove the hardtop, I've tried to find a practical way to deal with the removed hardtop.

I took an old Techline office desk, turned it over and added four 360 degree casters from the local woodcraft shop.

One "work-table" top - 3/4 inch plywood top ripped to 4' X 6' with 2 holes on one side for the hardtop's 2 front pins to slide into. Wood screwed the plywood top to what was the bottom of the old desk.

Lots of storage in the desk (rear seats, parts, etc.), and the plywood table top can still be used for a work table (tools, misc. parts, etc.) but most important to me, the thing can be moved around the garage. Added a few foam corner bumpers for banging into things.

Also makes a nice "hardtop work-stand", easy to reach the top, etc.
top_off_over_storage.jpg
top_off_over_hood.jpg
top_off_over_work.jpg

Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. Couple of downsides are now you are going to move it out of you way eleventy billion times plus it looks seriously top-heavy. Did you consider building a rack and supporting it from the ceiling up and out of harm's way?

DSCF0043-1.JPG

DSCF0044-1.JPG
DSCF0043-1.JPG
DSCF0044-1.JPG

Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. Couple of downsides are now you are going to move it out of you way eleventy billion times plus it looks seriously top-heavy. Did you consider building a rack and supporting it from the ceiling up and out of harm's way?

Nice rack but I have a small 2-car garage with low ceiling and the door mechanism takes up a good majority of the ceiling space. I would hang it if I could. Hung from my ceiling it would always be in the way. It looks top-heavy - but it's not - with all the stuff I have stored in it anyway and the hardtop is not that heavy. May look like a big piece of C but it moves around really well. :grinpimp:

Most things (toolboxes, etc.) I move around, and it has worked out really great. I have a storage area accessed by a low door for instance where my roll-away resides - I just move the roll-away when I need access (not often) - otherwise that door area would be a wall of wasted space, etc.

We do what we can do. :)

Last edited:
I wish I had the problem of where to store a hard top. Anybody in eastern PA or Jersey that wants to sell one or knows of one I can buy?? send me a private message if you do.... Danke

carpet padding

If that was green shag carpet padding on the 2x4's I'd really be impressed.

Both of these are great way to take care of hard top storage.

Hanging shirts?

In ref to the tabletop storage person:

Please tell me that's not your pink long sleeve hanging in the background!

why no,,
its bob-0the glassmans shirt...
lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom