fj40 hardcore F engine?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a 67 fj40 I am working on. As it sits now I am runnin 37s with a SOA lift. I've got rear discs, soon to be discs up front. Stock engine with carb, ignition probs. I am gonna soon replace carb and ignition as soon as I get back into Texas.

What I'm wanting to do with this is hardcore trails. I know one day to do this I will need to replace the stock engine with a v8 but for the meantime due to financial reasons I am wanting to do what I can with what I've got. What can I do as far as engine goes to get better performance on trails with 4-5 ratings? I'm in the beginning of this project due to just getting into FJs in march. I've researched but not too many people run F engines(for obvious reasons) thanks for any help

The F engine will respond to typical engine "hot rod" tricks. Hotter cam shaft, ported head, better exhaust, carbs etc etc. If you can DIY, porting the head will get you some nice gains... what are your capabilities? Many will tell you the V8 swap will be cheaper than building the F, an they may be right... depends on how cheap you buy the parts on ebay. :D

Where can I find info on the TBI for an F engine...When I have time I'll check the tech section, thanks.,

Myself being as that I have worked on int'l scouts only and have no mechanical abilities can not do much on my own. I am using the aid of friends and family with the know how to DIY. My idea about new drivetrain was probably buy a K5 and swap the engine, tranny, x-case, axles out. cheap and i can sell the body off still. But i can use the info and discuss it for future plans. I just dont have time or money for the k5 project yet. maybe next summer

mxtaco48 said:

What I'm wanting to do with this is hardcore trails. I know one day to do this I will need to replace the stock engine with a v8 ...

I've researched but not too many people run F engines(for obvious reasons) thanks for any help
They must have some tough trails in Texas. Last month I rode with a guy who had an almost stock (SOA and Sm420) FJ40 on the Fordyce Creek Trail. Next week I'm riding with a guy who "only" has a 2F on the Rubicon.

If I ever stay home long enough I'll finish up my rig which will have a 2F with +120K miles on it. I spent money on gears rather than on the skinny pedal. A Toy Box, SM420 or Orion T-case will help a lot more than extra horses on the hard stuff.

You can run hardcore trails with the cruiser six.

I'm hardcore and I only have a cruiser six

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom