Fj40 Gauge Cluster Speedometer year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are rebuilding a 1973 fj40. It came with two different speedometers and I'm wondering if we can get both of them to work correctly.

The one that was installed on the fj40 when we got it is the one that has the Snap-on speedometer cable. The other one was thrown into the package deal and it is a screw-in speedometer cable.

Is there a way to get the screw in speedometer cable to work? I know that the screw in the speedometer cable is for a pre 73 and the Snap-on speedometer cable is for a 73 to 78

The screw and speedometer cable cluster is in much better shape than the Snap-on. That is the reason I'm asking.
20220102_162620.jpg
20220102_162618.jpg
20220102_162616.jpg
20220102_162542.jpg
20220102_162540.jpg
20220102_162537.jpg

73 was a crossover year so you may have either a barrel connector or 2 big 6 plug connectors.

Either way the Gauges and Speedometer are very different. Between the 2 clusters you have.

Neither is correct a 73 model (9/72-9/73). 73 had turn signal indicators in the speedometer face but did not have the barrel conmector on the back. Way to identify a US 73 model is it will have a one year only large reverse in the left rear corner of the tub, bucket seats with no tool box under the driver's seat, locking door for the fuel fill and radio opening for a radio in the center of the dash. 72 had the tool box, no fuel fill door, on radio and bench seats. 74 had a rollbar and rectangular tail lights that included reverse lights.

I have a 72 fj 40 and need the number of a vendor that repairs speedometers. They are very hard to find.

73 was a crossover year so you may have either a barrel connector or 2 big 6 plug connectors.

Either way the Gauges and Speedometer are very different. Between the 2 clusters you have.
I believe these are both models covered that year. The circuit board is the later portion of the year.

20220103_182549.jpg

My 73 has the top one with the barrel connector

I have several clusters for all of the different configurations around this time period. Also I have tons of parts if you need just a specific piece.

I believe the internals of the two clusters that @kevos37 shows are the same, they just switched to the later circuit board at some point. My 10/72 also has the bottom style shown. If you have a 73 fj40 it should have the snap on speedo cable. You could try swapping over the screw in style speedo, I don't know if it is a bolt in change though. You will lose the speed sensor doing this so it may impact your emissions stuff if you plan to keep it. It may be easier to get the proper speedo cable. Do the pre 73 trucks have some sort of speed sensor in line with the speedo cable?

I believe these are both models covered that year. The circuit board is the later portion of the year.

View attachment 2883608

Your bottom cluster shows the back of the two turn signal indicators in the speedometer. The original post it doesn't have them. Wish years ago I would have known 73 intrude instrument clusters were different. I picked up a reverse light from a wrecking yard to replace the one the neighborhood kids broke. Could have grabbed the cluster at the same time.

Your bottom cluster shows the back of the two turn signal indicators in the speedometer. The original post it doesn't have them. Wish years ago I would have known 73 intrude instrument clusters were different. I picked up a reverse light from a wrecking yard to replace the one the neighborhood kids broke. Could have grabbed the cluster at the same time.
Are you in need of that particular cluster ?

A good reference to have:

Although you have to read down to post 4 to get the info on the 73 gauge cluster.

Illustration of the 7209 - 7309 has the same wired lighting socket 83100B (not PC board) as I have on my 7301:

1641320300262.png

Not sure if this is contributing here, but. My 1966 gauge cluster used flat head screws for the gauge backing plate and my 70 had phillips. I would guess the other cluster (with the flat head screws) would be atleast pre 70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom