FJ40 front door lower window channel install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curtice

SILVER Star
Threads
Any tips? I bought these channels from City Racer and seem like great quality. But almost impossible to get into the track. I was able to force them in the removable track by putting it in a vice, using a ton of lube and all my muscle power with some needle nose pushing in the channel:
69B0457D-9F59-443B-A70E-43EBCD8F771D.jpeg

But for the ones that need to be installed to the permanent inner door, I cannot get the leverage to slide it in. It’s got a bunch of lube, but just stuck:
FC6FA78D-4820-4AD8-ACA6-F70648360A84.jpeg

I’ve been at it for a couple hours and this is as far it will go. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Maybe I’m missing something?

Thanks.

Hm. Thanks. I tried that, but not a lot…didn’t seem like it was designed that way, but I’ll see if I can work it like that.

Ok thanks again. That is working. Painstaking work though…taking a loooong time and my back is killing me! I can’t just use my fingers…maybe I have wimpy fingers but not strong enough, I’m having to slowly and carefully shimmy it in with a screwdriver.

This is about 45 min of work:
A4D896DE-8F4C-426E-B21B-63D0BB052942.jpeg

Last edited:
I installed the lower channel felts by using a push / pull method. Lubed up the entire channel and felt then i pushed as much of the felt as i could from the top. Once it started i used an awl, stabbed the bottom of the felt and pulled the awl / felt downward with one hand and pushing down the felt while pinching into the channel with the other hand. The first one took @ 20 minutes- 2nd one just a couple minutes.

I installed the lower channel felts by using a push / pull method. Lubed up the entire channel and felt then i pushed as much of the felt as i could from the top. Once it started i used an awl, stabbed the bottom of the felt and pulled the awl / felt downward with one hand and pushing down the felt while pinching into the channel with the other hand. The first one took @ 20 minutes- 2nd one just a couple minutes.

OK that’s helpful. Thanks.

What did you use for lube? I was thinking dish soap..

I actually used some sil-glyde brake grease i had laying around. worked great and had no issues after. BUT, i i used care not to get any (or very little) where the window runs in the felt.

I just put the city racer felts in my 45 windows. For lubrication....Windex is your friend! The key with Windex is that is makes the surfaces very slippery, but also evaporates in a short period of time. You can slide the felt downward a bit at a time. If it gets "stuck", it's time to liberally soak everything with Windex again. It doesn't hurt the felts so just spray it heavy. I use Windex for installing new rubber around the window glass too.

Good luck with the felts. 👍

I don't think there is a wrong answer to this - I used some dish soap for lube to slide up the channel. I also used the bluntest phillips screw driver I could find. I was pushing the felt up the channel with that up-top and pushing up on the felt lower end of the channel with my other hand (I wasn't worried about making a small whole in felt (didn't) - it is the keep the window from rattled in the channel and breaking - so a small pinhole wasn't a big deal to me). Took about 10-15 minutes for one and frustrating AF. got a good skin graph when my hand slipped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom