FJ40 engine swap to diesel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
My '72 FJ40 is currently powered by a small-block that is burning a lot of oil. I'm wanting to pull the engine and transmission and swap it out for a diesel. I was planning on going with a 1HDT 4.2 with a manual transmission, but I'm having trouble sourcing one. I want to buy the engine and transmission together as a unit. Seems like I used to see them on ebay often, but not really seeing any now. However, I'm seeing several of the 1KZ-T 3.0 engines available. Also finding them together with the manual transmission, as a unit. I definitely want to stay with a mechanical pump to keep the wiring as simple as possible. I was wondering what your thoughts (collectively) are on these engines, and which one I should go with. Also, any help with sourcing these would be appreciated.

The best value IMO on Toyota diesel is a good low mileage engine from @chapel gate in the UK and purchase a new H55f/transfer case combo and all the associated parts (bellhousing flywheel/clutch) in the US from a knowledgeable vender like myself, @cruiseroutfit or Valley Hybrids @orangefj45,

Thanks for the info. I will certainly check it out.

I checked out Chapel Gate. He may have more engines available, but the 1HDT he had listed was pretty high priced for having almost 200K miles. It sounded really good, but that's a lot of money for the mileage. I'm not saying it's out of the question, but I need to explore my options. Do your bellhousings for the H55f also work with the 1KZT engines?

Cruisermatt, what do you charge for an H55f/transfer case combo?

Sent you a PM.

No 1KZ to H55f bellhousing exists off the shelf to my knowledge.

I checked out Chapel Gate. He may have more engines available, but the 1HDT he had listed was pretty high priced for having almost 200K miles. It sounded really good, but that's a lot of money for the mileage. I'm not saying it's out of the question, but I need to explore my options. Do your bellhousings for the H55f also work with the 1KZT engines?
You would need an r series trans like what comes behind the 3.4 in a Tacoma or 4 runner.

Ive done this swap before, it was a fun 40 at the end of the day.

You would need an r series trans like what comes behind the 3.4 in a Tacoma or 4 runner.

Ive done this swap before, it was a fun 40 at the end of the day.
I’m sorry…. I meant a bell housing that would bolt an H55f to a 1HDT.

I’m sorry…. I meant a bell housing that would bolt an H55f to a 1HDT.

Those are available new from anyone who sells Toyota parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom